Leeds Utd v Swansea City Match Thread - Cooper Returns

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Leeds Utd v Swansea City Match Thread - Cooper Returns

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds Utd v Swansea City

Saturday 31st August 2019 15.00 | Elland Road

First take on second as the two pace setters in the Championship come head to head. Both Leeds and Swansea have recorded four wins and a draw, and are only separated by a (league) goal difference of one. In fact, free scoring Swansea have scored 18 goals in the last 5 league and Cup games.

Spaniard Borja Baston has helped himself to five goals already this term. The ex Atletico Madrid striker has rediscovered his scoring touch after loan spells on the continent with Malaga and Alaves. Perhaps he is the ready made replacement to Oli McBurnie who signed for the Blades in the Summer for 20m.

They also sold or released eleven players in the Summer including Ayew, Bony, Fer, Routledge, and lets not forget Daniel James' transfer to the red side of Manchester for 15m.

Swans boss Steve Cooper bought in Jack Bidwell, a left back from QPR, Aldo Kalulu, an attacking midfielder from FC Basel, Sam Surridge, a young midfielder from Bournemouth and Ben Wilmot who is also a midfielder from Watford.

Cooper has no new injury worries, and welcomes back Jack Clarke to his squad. The Welsh U21 International was diagnosed with cancer last Summer, but has won his fight and is on the comeback trail to his professional football career - I'm sure, we all wish him the best.

Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa also has no fresh injury concerns to worry about and is likely to field the same team that beat Stoke at the 365 Stadium last weekend. On loan striker Eddie Nketiah continues to ask questions of Bielsa by scoring, as he did against the Potters midweek.

Fit again left back Barry Douglas will fight it out with alioski for the left back role whilst Luke Ayling and Tyler Roberts will both miss out, but have at least returned to first team training.

Pablo Hernandez looks set to face his former club - how they wish they had him in their team....
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd v Swansea City Match Thread

Post by Irish Ian »

Our first real test. Swansea are playing a good brand of football and have lined up 4- 2 --3 -1 no matter who they have played.

So Leeds will have to be patient and not allow their high press to knock us off our game. our back 5 will have to be on their game.

But what an opportunity we have to go a couple of points clear at the top!
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Swansea for me were the best team we played last season, certainly the best team we played early. If they're still that good any result will be a good one
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Swansea were our first real test last season, I thought Potter at least matched Bielsa in terms of tactics and his team carried out his instructions with intensity.

A different prospect this season but playing well. They aren't creating too many chances but they are taking them, oposit to us usually.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 pm Swansea were our first real test last season, I thought Potter at least matched Bielsa in terms of tactics and his team carried out his instructions with intensity.

A different prospect this season but playing well. They aren't creating too many chances but they are taking them, opposite to us usually.
I believe the Swans will be our toughest test so far, both teams play decent football so it should be a cracking game.

Looking forward to the game as always, can't believe this is my eighth game of the season & we're not even out of August yet!

I need a holiday :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:57 pm I believe the Swans will be our toughest test so far, both teams play decent football so it should be a cracking game.

Looking forward to the game as always, can't believe this is my eighth game of the season & we're not even out of August yet!

I need a holiday :)
Its this fixture where I get confused with my user name :lol:
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

This game may be a little bench marker. Swansea are playing well and hitting the onion sack regularly so id happily take a point from this but 3 would be a brilliant result taking us into the 2 week break with a nice little lead at the top. Having said that i do have bad vibes about this but that's nothing new for me.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Don't know anything about them this season. They seem to have sold a load of players only to have improved, on the evidence so far. Don't know anything about their manager either.

Still resent them over James, even though I'd rather have Costa.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

be a test today but these are the teams we should be beating at home if we are serious top 2 contenders.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Id settle for draw as this will be tough unless we get off to a flyer.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 »

Well here we go again. Can we manage a result against the better, in form teams in the division, unlike last season. Not just a test but an insight into how we have improved since last seasons " big games"

Win, lose or draw I will be looking at the manner of the result.. No more silly mistakes, managing the game if we go down a goal, and nullifying their strengthens for instance.

Swansea seem super confident and will exploit our weakness, that being goalkeeping, and our wide attacking defenders. Set peices too. Philips and Forshaw will have to be present and organised.

Its gonna be tough but if we take our chances we will do alright.

Keeping the faith stateside
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Leeds Utd v Swansea City Match Thread - Top of the table clash preview

Post by LUFC 1966 »

on the balance of play this year we will control the game and strike clinically . They are on a good run but those are made to be broken.
Pablo will have a blinder against his old club. We will concede but I back us to score more than them
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

True, this will be our biggest challenge so far but let's face it, they haven't faced anything like us yet. We just need to keep doing what we're doing and we'll beat anyone in this league.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Toughest test so far, but I agree with moth, play our own game and we win
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Two top teams playing each other... this game has a draw written all over it... unless
Pablo puts on his von Braun rocket man hat and oils his slide rule and studies his log tables
He is not a footballer he is an astro physicist, a mathematical genius making calculations
of velocities and trajectories, ellipses and curves that the technicians at Houston would gasp at
since the precision of his passing is on a par with the docking of the LEM after take off from
the moon.

As well as having the brain of a footballing mathematician he also has the eye of a hawk.
He uses this unique skill to note that Stuart Dallas is sprinting from the half way line. He notes
that the defenders are in orbit tumbling an bumbling like asteroids not knowing which way to
spin next.

The ball is a sputnik launched from the lace of his boot with perfect velocity, the friction of every
blade of grass taken into account. The trajectory is so precise that at the blue event horizon
that small sputnik of a football is intercepted by the onrushing comet that is Dallas, and flashes
passed a despairing Butland to rip open the net of the space time continuum.

What we have witnesses is not football but instead an enactment of the Big bang theory
and the creation of the Universe. The applause is rapturous from the adoring crowd, and
Pablo thinks perhaps the fans like a bit of calculus and geometry after all, but he has to test
his theory like any good scientist and he tries it again with Alioski and sure enough once again
there is a ripple in the net of the fabric of reality.

Maths has arrived at ER. and the crowd love it.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Wont be able to follow game as I agreed to go to one of these Hydro parks this afternoon... what was I thinking???

If I survive I might follow the comments on here at FT instead of checking the score. So keep the drama coming!

Simple formula today to secure 3 points.

GIVE THE BALL TO PABLO!!!
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:30 pm Wont be able to follow game as I agreed to go to one of these Hydro parks this afternoon... what was I thinking???

If I survive I might follow the comments on here at FT instead of checking the score. So keep the drama coming!

Simple formula today to secure 3 points.

GIVE THE BALL TO PABLO!!!
Hope you have a good time Ian. I'm up in Wakey at the mo with my folks, so will be looking forward to reading everyones comments as well :)
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Cooper in Berardi out.
Eddie and Costa on the bench
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Is Bielsa giving out sweets???