Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Stoke City v Leeds Utd

Saturday 24th August 2019 3.00pm | Bet 365 Stadium

Leeds make the hour and a half journey down to the 365 Stadium on Saturday hoping to keep their unbeaten run going, and collecting another three points in the process.

Leeds remain top of the Championship with ten points from a possible twelve. They are joined by Swansea who have one less goal. The play off places are made up of Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton and West Brom.

Bielsa has another selection dilemma having seen Costa and Nketiah come off the bench and make an instant impact. The gaffer himself admitted after the Brentford game that he may have to change his formation to make way for the young Gunner.

Leeds have injury doubts at wing back. Douglas is sidelined having picked up a knocks last weekend. Alioski will once again deputise, as he did in midweek. Dallas picked up an thigh injury and Cooper an ankle injury during the 1-0 win over the bees, and with Ayling already on the treatment table, Bielsa may call on Shackleton and Berardi.

Stoke have had a terrible start to the season having picked up only a solitary point (at home v Derby) during their opening four games leaving them last. They lost at Charlton and Preston and at home against QPR.

Stoke, and England keeper Jack Butland has endured a torrid time between the sticks having made some glaring mistakes in recent games. Will Leeds be able to capitalise?

In meetings between Stoke City and Leeds United at Stoke, there has not been a goalless draw in the last 25 games in all competitions since a 0-0 stalemate in October 1966.

Leeds United Starting XI:
Casilla, Dallas, Berardi, White, Alioski, Phillips, Klich, Forshaw, Hernandez, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Leeds Subs: Meslier, Struijk, Shackleton, McCalmont, Gotts, Costa, Nketiah
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Stoke City v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

C'mon, lets see your teams!!!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

---------------------Casilla------------------
Shacks-----Cooper--White----Alioski
------------------Phillips------------------
Costa---------Forshaw-------Harrison
-----------Bamford---Nketiah---------

That's right, no Klich and no Hernandez.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Kiko
Shackleton
White
Cooper
Douglas

Philips
Forshaw
Klich

Pablo
Bamford
Costa

I think Nketiah will have to wait another game or two before Bielsa starts him, Bamford won’t be dropped and I think he’ll keep the same formation that we started with away to stoke
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:38 pm ---------------------Casilla------------------

Dangerous looking side, I look forward to the day Nketiah and Bamford start together
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

If Dallas is fit I reckon Marcelo will go for the same XI that started v Brentford
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't think we'll see 442 anytime soon and neither should we..Alioski at LWB and Beradi at RWB should be the only changes if Douglas and Dallas can't go
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jones has now only won something like 3 in the last 25 games, and none of the last 10. I've been reading their forum, and most seem to think they're free falling to relegation. An overlarge, unbalanced squad full of journeymen, ex premier league egos, and an inexperienced manager wedded to an unsuccessful formation. At the risk of tempting fate, I think we'll absolutely batter them this time.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:59 pm At the risk of tempting fate, I think we'll absolutely batter them this time.
Hmmmm. You been on the malt again :duno:

:) :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I'm on a very nice Highland by the way....
hector

Post by hector »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:23 am Hmmmm. You been on the malt again :duno:

errrrr there is a phrase with kettles and pots in it, that springs to mind

Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:38 pm ---------------------Casilla------------------

Like the look of this, nicely balanced as this is Stoke and we should batter them maybe swop Forshaw for Klich which would be hard on Adam as he’s played so well recently. Agree Pablo needs to a rest so drop him to the bench just in case we need him.

Which ever team we put out we should be looking to improve our goal difference but expect the Potters will have 11 behind the ball and spend the entire game frustrating but if we score early they think they’ll fall apart
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

SaraM wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:59 pm Jones has now only won something like 3 in the last 25 games, and none of the last 10. I've been reading their forum, and most seem to think they're free falling to relegation. An overlarge, unbalanced squad full of journeymen, ex premier league egos, and an inexperienced manager wedded to an unsuccessful formation. At the risk of tempting fate, I think we'll absolutely batter them this time.
Agree with all that but then my mind goes back to the fact that one of those 3 wins was against us in Feb.

Whether its the old Victoria ground or their new place, Stoke has never been a happy hunting ground for us over many years. Given their squad they are seriously under performing as they do have some very useful players in their squad.

BUT we have managed to get revenge on both Wigan and Brentford for those costly losses last season, hope we can make it a hat trick against this lot.

Looking forward to being in that packed away end with 3000 other leeds fans tomorrow. MOT
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm going to be very happy with a one goal win. The minute you start expecting Leeds to win they don't...going right back to the Revie days putting away teams we should beat has always been an issue with us. EVERY GAME WILL BE DIFFICULT FOR US THIS SEASON. We're the cup final for 95% of teams
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:23 am Hmmmm. You been on the malt again :duno:

Nope, bottle of Pinot with a curry. I drank most of it though, because I wasn't driving.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Gurj wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:04 am Agree with all that but then my mind goes back to the fact that one of those 3 wins was against us in Feb.
True, but I feel that we're a different team this season; mainly because we haven't yet thrown away a game against an inferior side. They do seem to be in turmoil, so we ought to be able to capitalise on that.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

SaraM wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:59 pm Jones has now only won something like 3 in the last 25 games, and none of the last 10. I've been reading their forum, and most seem to think they're free falling to relegation. An overlarge, unbalanced squad full of journeymen, ex premier league egos, and an inexperienced manager wedded to an unsuccessful formation. At the risk of tempting fate, I think we'll absolutely batter them this time.
It was Nathan Jones first win as Stoke manager against us, let's hope it's not his first win this season.
A defeat for them on Saturday and that could be his lot.
I doubt MB will make any changes unless Dallas is still injured.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:04 am Agree with all that but then my mind goes back to the fact that one of those 3 wins was against us in Feb.

Whether its the old Victoria ground or their new place, Stoke has never been a happy hunting ground for us over many years. Given their squad they are seriously under performing as they do have some very useful players in their squad.

BUT we have managed to get revenge on both Wigan and Brentford for those costly losses last season, hope we can make it a hat trick against this lot.

Looking forward to being in that packed away end with 3000 other leeds fans tomorrow. MOT
Hopefully see you there tomorrow Gurj :-D
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

dezzy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:56 pm Dangerous looking side, I look forward to the day Nketiah and Bamford start together
I think that's the most likely event in the unlikely event Bilesa will change the formation everyone's used to and thinks works. I think he'll put Eddie in Klich's place, he's got the pace to transition from midfield to attack in the blink of an eye and Bamford is very good at passing and holding the ball. I imagine it'll be a tweak, having Bamford drop in a fraction deeper when Stoke have possession and have Eddie stay further up the pitch with the aim to get ready for a Bamford through ball - instant and unstoppable counterattack. This will also lessen pressure on the wings as Stoke would have to devote more defensive energy to the centre.

But if the formation does change it would only make sense to line up how you've suggested.

On a similar note, favourite Stoke fan comment following their defeat to Preston: "Don't have enough lube for the Leeds game."
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

SaraM wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:31 am True, but I feel that we're a different team this season; mainly because we haven't yet thrown away a game against an inferior side. They do seem to be in turmoil, so we ought to be able to capitalise on that.
Pretty certain we've conceded less goals in all competitions than this point last season. Defensively we look and feel infinitely more solid. I'm almost over the tick that's developed every time the opposition gain possession.