Album Club Review - ????

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Album Club Review - Stones 'Let It Bleed'/James 'Millionaires'

Post by 1964white »

Only six reviews for the classic album 'Let It Bleed' is outrageous
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:42 am Only six reviews for the classic 'Let It Bleed' is outrageous
TBF I passed as I'd have given it 1 maybe two stars because I really hate Jaggers voice, the way I hate Clapton's mogodon guitar work. Not a fan of James either, I do have an album or two but never did get further than a couple of tracks in before I put something else on
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Re: Album Club Review

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:25 am TBF I passed as I'd have given it 1 maybe two stars because I really hate Jaggers voice, the way I hate Clapton's mogodon guitar work. Not a fan of James either, I do have an album or two but never did get further than a couple of tracks in before I put something else on
Fair enough mate
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Album Club Review - ????

Post by The Subhuman »

Music has to interest me or excite me, if it makes me cringe or sends me to sleep it's not worth listening too..I'm not too fussed about quality if the energy/excitement is there, see Sex Pistols, Early Frankie and early Madness. But I love quality and production if it's done well and has interest with clever lyrics and hooks. Steely Dan probably epitomizes that, some say over produced AOR. I say sublime lyrics and wonderful hooks
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

We move on....

Who's up next with two of their favourite albums?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:25 am I hate Clapton's mogodon guitar work.
Oh god, yes!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:52 pmOh god, yes!
to be honest I thought I was extremely in the minority...interesting you agree as a musician. He's no Konami Tono....sorry but i'm obsessed with Band Maid atm, hence the avatar

now he was the Yardbird who could play guitar
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:59 pm to be honest I thought I was extremely in the minority...interesting you agree as a musician.
I hardly think I've come across anyone else who doesn't rate him, hence my reaction. Absolutely bores me to tears, and really derivative imo.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Band Maid are great, the Girlschool for today (although I believe they're still going). Btw, my other musical claim to fame is once having had a drunken snog with Kelly Johnson.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Strangely never a fan of Girlschool ...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Late 70's and early 80's metal a touch cliched for me ...Did enjoy Demon though, maybe a bit of Tygers. Both of whom I saw live, both of whom are extremely dated now. Dark Star and Trespass too. All NWOBHM bands of course. Trespass's One of these Days probably the finest track that genre ever produced
hector

Post by hector »

Do you not like Nightwish Faaip?
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not listened to them tbf
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

NWOBHM was the only guitar based rock scene around when I started going to gigs regularly in '79. It's not music I've listened to much since, but it was fun at the time. Generally preferred the prog revival bands that came out a few years later.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Can't listen to any of it anymore tbh, just all feels way too theatrical and tries to hard to be scary, sinister occult but ends up being slightly camp. I was doing bar bands and small venue gigs from around 79. Plus the Civic at Guildford was a regular haunt, not bothered too much who was on just wanted live music without the hassle of going to London
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Same, only it was Queensway Hall and the Wheatsheaf in Dunstable. Girlschool, Motörhead and Hawkwind seemed to be on every couple of months, along with Gillan and Bernie Tormé. Couldn't be arsed with Saxon, Iron Maiden etc.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:12 pm Same, only it was Queensway Hall and the Wheatsheaf in Dunstable. Girlschool, Motörhead and Hawkwind seemed to be on every couple of months, along with Gillan and Bernie Tormé. Couldn't be arsed with Saxon, Iron Maiden etc.
Never got into Maiden but I liked Saxon. Biff Byford what a frontman haha..

It was only the metal and punk banks who would gig over here during the 70s and 80s so we didnt have much choice. Motorhead were loyal though.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Irish Ian wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:14 pm I liked Saxon. Biff Byford what a frontman haha..
Saxon were the first band I ever saw. Wheels of Steel. I was 13, they were men with moustaches in spandex, I was... perplexed.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 pm Late 70's and early 80's metal a touch cliched for me ...Did enjoy Demon though, maybe a bit of Tygers. Both of whom I saw live, both of whom are extremely dated now. Dark Star and Trespass too. All NWOBHM bands of course. Trespass's One of these Days probably the finest track that genre ever produced
Tygers... I can still remember how embarrassed I felt when they tried out for Song for Europe... I think it was a last chance saloon attempt at greatness. Oh Bloody Wogan :)

I wasn't even much of a fan, but my brother was right into them.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:44 pm Saxon were the first band I ever saw. Wheels of Steel. I was 13, they were men with moustaches in spandex, I was... perplexed.
Saw that tour at the Glasgow Appollo and yes all that Spandex was worrying.

My first gig was Motorhead. £3.50 a ticket :)
'