Playlist over the last week.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Playlist over the last week......

Post by Sara »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:08 pm Really like 1 and 3, don't know 2.
A heavier 'psychedelic' album. They only did one, but I'm fond of it. Described themselves as a cross between Hawkwind and the Pixies, which doesn't quite do it justice.
gessa

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:11 pm A heavier 'psychedelic' album. They only did one, but I'm fond of it. Described themselves as a cross between Hawkwind and the Pixies, which doesn't quite do it justice.
Another for the must listen to. :tup:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:14 pm Another for the must listen to. :tup:
Be interested to know what you think of it...
gessa

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm Be interested to know what you think of it...
Holiday at the moment but will do.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Currently playing a random 25p CD (never heard of before) that I picked up yesterday...……..and it's really good:

Thomas Dybdahl - John Wayne EP

:moggy:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durand Jones & The Indications 'American Love Call' :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

This album could easily been recorded in the 60's/70's, one of the albums of 2019 certainly the best soul album. Can't stop playing this little gem 8-)

Margie Joseph 'Margie Joseph' :star: :star: :star: :star:

Released in 1973, I had never heard of the lady until I purchased this album for £6 in Whitby, cheap compared to Amazon prices. Margie is so Aretha it's untrue, influenced by Etta James I believe Franklin's band played on this album. I think Nick would approve of this secret gem.

Womack & Womack 'Greatest Hits' 4 stars

Never really listened to W&W albums during the 80's. 'Teardrops' & 'Love Wars' are familiar of course but there is more to this duo than I first imagined. Cool compilation from the Womack's & well worth the 50p I paid
gessa

Post by gessa »

SaraM wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm Be interested to know what you think of it...
Finally got around to playing it, this morning,quite enjoyed it, will definitely give it a few more listens.

Don't see the Hawkwind - Pixies likening either.

Is it really the same band that made Dark Star and Reel To Real, or just same name?

Edit; just checked, different band, thought it was a completely different sound but that could have been the 12-15 year gap between albums.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Goon
All the Band Maid albums - A must for anyone who likes their rock heavy or metal
Tyler the Creator
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

Endless Boogie - No Favors
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Guillimots 'Red' :star: :star: :star: :star:

This is a wholly unique twist on the concept of a pop album. The songs are fun, melodic, inspiring, danceable, and never cliche... Definitely NOT an album to pass up. It takes a few listens but the red meatball will eventually overtake you

Gorillaz 'Humanz' :star: :star: :star: :star:

Cleverly mixes soft-focus hip-hop, trippy space rock and Ennio Morricone-style melodrama with Albarn's unwavering pop melodies.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Stevie Wonder 'Conversation Peace' :star: :star: :star: :star:

One of Stevie's later albums. Elements of jazz, soul, and positive rap make this album surprisingly good 8-) A nice £2 purchase
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Curtis Mayfield 'Original Album Series' :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Curtis/Curtis Live/Roots/Back to the World/Sweet Exorcist

Been doing a fair amount of driving this week, so dug this boxset out. To be honest, I don't usually listen to complete boxsets in one go, but Curtis is too good to stop at a single CD. That voice, the lyrics, the music, I'm not sure he ever made a bad record. The live CD is probably my favourite, as the percussive genius of Master Henry Gibson is high in the mix and Curtis is in fine spirits, rapping with the audience. Such a beautiful soul, he was a huge loss to music
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:05 am Curtis Mayfield 'Original Album Series' :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Curtis/Curtis Live/Roots/Back to the World/Sweet Exorcist

Been doing a fair amount of driving this week, so dug this boxset out. To be honest, I don't usually listen to complete boxsets in one go, but Curtis is too good to stop at a single CD. That voice, the lyrics, the music, I'm not sure he ever made a bad record. The live CD is probably my favourite, as the percussive genius of Master Henry Gibson is high in the mix and Curtis is in fine spirits, rapping with the audience. Such a beautiful soul, he was a huge loss to music
One of the greatest box-sets of all time, 5 sumptuous soul albums :tup:

Do you have the Margie Joseph album I mentioned above on your shelves Nick ?
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 am One of the greatest box-sets of all time, 5 sumptuous soul albums :tup:

Do you have the Margie Joseph album I mentioned above on your shelves Nick ?
For me, Curtis is up there as one of the true greats, Leon.

Sorry, mate, I meant to reply when I first saw your post re Margie. Yes, I do, it's a great album. No surprise you mention Aretha, as Margie is backed by most of Aretha's band and the album is produced by Arif Mardin, a long time collaborator of Ms Franklin's. Solid soul!! 8-)
hector

Post by hector »

David Live
Low

both excellent, but why oh why do they have to ruin my nostalgic memories by making the cd or download versions "new and remastered" etc, because all of a sudden you hear a song that was never on the original album.
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:24 am For me, Curtis is up there as one of the true greats, Leon.

Sorry, mate, I meant to reply when I first saw your post re Margie. Yes, I do, it's a great album. No surprise you mention Aretha, as Margie is backed by most of Aretha's band and the album is produced by Arif Mardin, a long time collaborator of Ms Franklin's. Solid soul!! 8-)
New to me Nick, somehow I'd miss this soulful lady over the years
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:39 am David Live
Low

both excellent, but why oh why do they have to ruin my nostalgic memories by making the cd or download versions "new and remastered" etc, because all of a sudden you hear a song that was never on the original album.
Indeed both are wondrous albums Hector

Looking at my completion lists of my favourite artists, I'm still five short plus both Tin Machine albums in my Bowie collection. I can't believe I haven't got 'The Lodger' unless it's got lost somewhere on my shelves, the others are his sub standard stuff
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Lodger is one of my favourites even if generally slated as one of his worst I think
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

I am not impressed with the Tin Machine albums I am afraid.
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

I think I must be in the minority as someone who enjoyed the Tin Machine stuff. As a straight up rock n roll band, I thought it worked well enough.