Salford City v Leeds Utd - Match Thread - Costa and Nketiah both start

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Salford City v Leeds Utd - Match Thread - Costa and Nketiah both start

Post by 1964white »

Berardi scored Leeds’ first goal from a corner away from home since Kalvin Phillips 101st-minute equaliser at Middlesbrough in Feb 2019.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:11 pm You wonder what some players must think of Leeds fans sometimes after those chants
Is there a way those helmets can be banned? Dragging our club and rep into the gutter. :evil: Why would anyone be "proud" of that vile man is beyond me. He has nothing to do with our club either.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:52 pm Is there a way those helmets can be banned? Dragging our club and rep into the gutter. :evil: Why would anyone be "proud" of that vile man is beyond me. He has nothing to do with our club either.
It does make me think about the credibility of a section of our fans who sing about paedophiles, we are talking blokes who have children & grand-children who participate in these horrible songs. I certainly wouldn't have been proud of my dad & grandad if they had behave in such an appalling disgraceful manner....sickoes
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Just seen more extensive highlights of the game

Fans saying Kiko should have punched the ball further, the one that landed on their strikers head.....it was a fantastic one-handed save from a shot hit with venom & swerve.

Really don't think Casilla could do much more there!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I was fine with that save, it was top draw.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 am I was fine with that save, it was top draw.
I thought it was a cracking save looking on from the other end, confirm to me that it was a fine save watching it for a second time :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:41 am Just seen more extensive highlights of the game

Fans saying Kiko should have punched the ball further, the one that landed on their strikers head.....it was a fantastic one-handed save from a shot hit with venom & swerve.

Really don't think Casilla could do much more there!
Some fans are just completely clueless about the realities of actually playing football. Yes in the split second Kiko has to propel himself through the air he can decide exactly how to angle his hand to divert the ball away at the perfect angle and speed. It was a superb save, one of many good saves he made, and yet some fans just choose to be negative.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:47 am Some fans are just completely clueless about the realities of actually playing football. Yes in the split second Kiko has to propel himself through the air he can decide exactly how to angle his hand to divert the ball away at the perfect angle and speed. It was a superb save, one of many good saves he made, and yet some fans just choose to be negative.
The reason I gave Kiko 8/10 in my ratings

Think he receives unwarranted criticism tbh
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think he is what he is and we should play to it. He's brash and confident and never lets a previous error put him off..It's about the best you can expect or hope for from a sweeper keeper. If Weidwald made an error in game he'd let it affect the rest of his game..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:13 am I think he is what he is and we should play to it. He's brash and confident and never lets a previous error put him off..It's about the best you can expect or hope for from a sweeper keeper. If Weidwald made an error in game he'd let it affect the rest of his game..
True
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

You just have to look at the abuse Rob Green took at the start of his season with us yet by the end of it I am sure 99% of fans wanted him to stay and probably had him as a contender for player of the year. No keeper is going to save every shot or make every catch/punch just the same as every striker will miss sitters, every midfielder will make a mess of a simple pass etc etc.

If you look at the Forest game and the goal we conceded could it have been avoided if our keeper came off his line and got to the initial cross? If he'd have come and made a mess of the cross and Forest scored he would have been slated yet because he stayed on his line he got no criticism at all. Would he have come for the cross the week before - probably.

A lesser keeper against Salford and we could easily have conceded 3 or 4. Without having a go at BPF the types of saves Kiko made v Salford were from the sort of range that BPF struggled against as he would usually be on his line and as such not narrowing the angles and making the goal smaller.

Paul Robinson seemed to be excused criticism but he was awful at pushing shots back into dangerous areas allowing strikers a tap-in. Contrast that with the save that Kiko has been criticised for and Kiko got a strong hand to it which meant it was travelling extremely quickly back at the Salford striker giving him no chance to control the effort on goal but just to act on reflex.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:52 pm Is there a way those helmets can be banned? Dragging our club and rep into the gutter. :evil: Why would anyone be "proud" of that vile man is beyond me. He has nothing to do with our club either.
I'm sure the club could sanction them. All away tickets are sold to those registered with the club I believe. Add that to the fact that these numpties allow themselves to be filmed would allow anyone interested to identify them.

If they wanted to.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa