The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 13th June)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 13th June)

Post by Irish Ian »

Unfortunately we will always be a selling club. The only way that would change would be if we were Citehised by a sugar daddy investor who owner an oil rig or 50.

We aren't making any money so that means if you want to strengthen you have to sell. Phillips leaving wouldn't be the end of the world for me but hopefully we could squeeze a few more Bob out of the deal. --I dont see the point in slapping a silly price on his head, unless a bidding war was to begin.--Enough to purchase (not borrow) two decent seasoned pros who could fit into the MB system. The fabled wingers we so desperately need. Costa coming in would be of interest, but he would be pricey.

I am so cautious about Harrison, yes we saw flashes of good play but he looked so ineffective so often, it wasnt like playing with 10 men either, because the amount of times he wasted our efforts was criminal even the oppo knew this at times. He did look better on the left (although dominated by Alioski) but not on the right where he looked lost. As I have said before both Harrison and Roberts in the same 11 are a wasted opportunity as MB wants them to be playmakers, which inevitably means Pablo taking on that role.

Question then, if Harrison returns, AND we bring in another winger, where do we see Clarke fitting into the equation? I wonder if he needs to be sold or loaned out just to develop him, because with such a pressure season ahead, I wonder what us best for him....
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:27 am Bielsa should insist that Phillips is not for sale
My first thought was "what's Bielsa's stance on this?". I cannot imagine for one minute after his vocal displeasure at having having Viera sold that Radz & Orta would take the risk of going over his head to sell Phillips. So it's either a case that he's not really for sale and this is all conjecture, or Bielsa isn't too worried about selling him , perhaps already having a backup in mind in which he has confidence.

You reckon we can convince Wolves to take Forshaw instead? :duno:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:13 am I'd imagine it'd be Bielsa initiating any sale...he's had the discussion, heard what he wanted, signed on for another year so a lot of off season stuff will follow his agenda I would think.
You would think Bielsa has a huge influence on our summer activity Faaip
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:34 am You reckon we can convince Wolves to take Forshaw instead? :duno:
:rol: :rol: :rol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:32 am Going on our track record do you honestly believe we'll signed a better player than one of our best players we sell ?

We need to sell or get rid of the rubbish we've accumulated over the last couple of years not our star players
Fully agree on paragraph 2, we have wasted far to much money last few years.

No i dont believe we will unfortunately, but it is very possible to replace Phillips for less then we sell him for, English players are vastly overvalued ( Wolves only paid £16mil for Neves), Phillips is nowhere near that level.

If our scouting was any good we could do a lot with £20mil.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:14 am Fully agree on paragraph 2, we have wasted far to much money last few years.

No i dont believe we will unfortunately, but it is very possible to replace Phillips for less then we sell him for, English players are vastly overvalued ( Wolves only paid £16mil for Neves), Phillips is nowhere near that level.

And still have change to have a massive MOTforum party.... :mic: :note: :hdog: :burger: :fries: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:14 am Fully agree on paragraph 2, we have wasted far to much money last few years.

I suppose we now have Marcelo who could spot a Neves as oppose to Orta bringing in another Brown or Baker :roll:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:50 am And still have change to have a massive MOTforum party.... :mic: :note: :hdog: :burger: :fries: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:
That would be awesome :)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Aston Villa are in the process of bidding 14m for Kalvin Phillips.
The 23yo is believed to be one of Dean Smiths top targets!
Who'd be up for selling our prize midfielder, and at what price?

I have already said I would sell KP if the price was right - we need money to strengthen and for me he is easier to replace than PJ or Clarke. Sadly selling our dead wood would likely not bring in much, Saiz is the only one with any value and there doesn't seem to be a big queue waiting to bid. As

Wolves are also interested in the defensive midfielder. The rumour doing the rounds suggests some kind of part exchange involving Helder Costa!

Would Costa make our team better than keeping KP and not getting Costa? That really is the key factor. We need to sell to improve our team so is it worth sacrificing KP to get Costa? Don't know enough about Costa to be able to answer,

It seems all parties have agreed for Jack Harrison to return to Elland Road on another season long loan.

MB likes him and he fits into MB's system allowing the full back to overlap. When you evaluate our wingers in terms of their output you also have to take into account the output from our full backs because Harrison being able to cover allows the full back to go forward.

Harrison looked far too lightweight for a lot of last season. Too easily bullied off the ball and not really determined enough to get past his man. Coming from the USA league though he was probably more used to a league where it was almost a non-contact sport. He showed signs of improvement and with a year's experience now under his belt I expect a much better player next season if he comes back to us. He got into some great attacking positions and then fluffed the chances so everything is right for him to have a much better season. It might also benefit him if we have more options out wide so he can be rotated a bit more - people have made the point about Hernandez looking jaded but equally Harrison must have felt tired too because he played a lot of matches and he hasn't really done that much previously and certainly not to the physical level of the championship.

Noel Whelan has blamed Leeds Utd for being greedy as interest in Jack Clarke cools down.

It is believed that Leeds have slapped a 20m price tag on the young winger, and Whelan believes that's over the top!!!

“Leeds have overpriced the young man from what I hear. They want £20million for him and he’s not worth that. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

What an idiot, why shouldn't we ask £20m, doesn't mean a team will pay that but why start at £12m and wait to be bargained down even lower. Why should we sell our talent on the cheap?
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ash »

Phillips improved so much last year under MB. Would like to see him stay another year. Clarke needs competitive game time and he will probably get that best at ER in the EFL.

I wonder what assurances the board have given Bielsa? Last year Vieira was sacrificed for cash flow. Pretty sure Bielsa was not best pleased.

As pointed out earlier in the thread, we seem to remain a club that needs to sell its prize assets in order to keep the show on the road. Another issue may be the fact that we need turnover in order to avoid breaches of FFP and subsequent points deduction.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:49 pm I suppose we now have Marcelo who could spot a Neves as oppose to Orta bringing in another Brown or Baker :roll:
Hey now, those two have given our medical staff valuable experience and much needed overtime!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 pm Hey now, those two have given our medical staff valuable experience and much needed overtime!
Our medical team earned their money last season but they had an impossible task with those two dead legs
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:13 pm That would be awesome :)
The drinks are on you down at your local Swannie :beer: :wine: :tumbler:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:43 pm The drinks are on you down at your local Swannie :beer: :wine: :tumbler:
:shock: : :shock:
The party is cancelled :lol:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:43 pm The drinks are on you down at your local Swannie :beer: :wine: :tumbler:
Me thinks you like our local :) :beers: :wine: :beer: :tumbler:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:43 pm Me thinks you like our local :) :beers: :wine: :beer: :tumbler:
You know I do & that restaurant at the top of your country lane Swannie
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:14 pm You know I do & that restaurant at the top of your country lane Swannie
Here's hoping that we draw Ipswich away in one if the cups then. :) :beers:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:55 pm Here's hoping that we draw Ipswich away in one if the cups then. :) :beers:
I stopped doing cup matches after our feeble cup exploits at Rochdale, Histon & Sutton, glad I booted Newport & QPR into touch, however I'll make an effort for you Swannie should we draw the tractor boys. Lets face it the best part of the weekend was easily our Saturday night out :wine: :food: :tumbler: shame it all went downhill with our pathetic showing on the Sunday :(