Player Profile : Kalvin Phillips

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Player Profile : Kalvin Phillips

Post by 1964white »

Today's player

Kalvin Phillips

Retain as our DM next season ?

Retain as a bench player ?

Move on ?

Rating out of 10 last season
1964white

Re: Player Profile : Kalvin Phillips

Post by 1964white »

Retain as our DM next season

Our most improved player who is now on the verge of greatness as the vultures are making huge bids for our star of the season. Kalvin overall was more consistent than his impressive teammate Pablo which is a high compliment to the lad,

A player who must be a managers dream.....can play in three positions, never disputes his bosses decision, never in the face of officials, shows humanity to his fellow professionals, a genuinely nice lad & of course he is one of our own

Move on ?

No as it's a great pleasure watching Kalvin play week in week out

Rating out of 10 last season

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Phillips will be my highest rated player, 8.5 may surprise some but I do allow for below par performances over a season when rating players. No player deserves more than 8.5 even the best. Had we finished the season they way we started my ratings would be significantly higher.

I'm a big fan of Pablo & Pontus both scored several 9's with Jansson putting a couple of special faultless 10/10 performances however he had some stinkers too with ratings as low as 4/10 hence the reason I only gave our best CB 7.5 overall
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Potential to build a team around this guy, a great player and selfless too, has to be kept hold of, not even 20m should tempt us to sell, will only get better, 8/10
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:38 am Potential to build a team around this guy, a great player and selfless too, has to be kept hold of, not even 20m should tempt us to sell, will only get better, 8/10
I fear dezzy if the takeover falls through Kalvin will be sold, I hate it when we allow our best youngsters to leave but that is the nature of playing outside the premiership
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Kalvin Phillips

Retain as our DM next season? A very tricky one - has he reached his ceiling? Could we get a better player for the position with the money we'd get? If sacrifices have to be made in order to strengthen other positions is it a sacrifice worth making considering how much he could bring in. How easy is he to replace - especially given the fact a year ago most would have had him as a squad player at most? DO we have an internal option, the likes of Diaz etc, that could be Bielsafied in the summer in the same way KP was? These are all questions that Bielsa and Orta need to work out.
Given that we are led to believe that we will only spend money that we bring in for player sales I would sell KP. I just feel that whilst he has improved enormously I don't think he will get much better and Bielsa may be able to do more with a player that has better raw attributes to work with. As such we cash in and hopefully use the money wisely.

Retain as a bench player? No he either stays as a starter or we cash in

Move on? Yes for the reasons given above - his sale would bring in decent money, we may be able to replace without spending much of that money (or nothing if we promote from within) and can spend the money on areas that we need to strengthen more

Rating out of 10 last season: 8
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Retain 100% we do and like others have said build the team around him
Bench are you kidding No
Move on See above
8.5 a couple of poor performances but many MOTM performances as well
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
hector

Post by hector »

Sell him, Forshaw can do this postion, and has much more experience

deffinately sell
1.5 responsible for many goals given away to the oppostion.

;-)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:37 pm Sell him, Forshaw can do this postion, and has much more experience

deffinately sell
1.5 responsible for many goals given away to the oppostion.
;-)
:rol: :rol: :rol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Basically what Weasel said.

Think he has done well but dont think he has been as great as some and if the £20mil rumours were true then we should sell because i think better value could be found elsewhere.

Ronnie V possibly off to one of the biggest names in European football history incidentally, will never convince me that Phillips is twice as good and Vieira is apparently worth £8-9mil according to the Italian paper valuation, better value then Phillips could be found elsewhere as that highlights, so yes sell, not because he hasnt done alright, but because it would make sense.

7/10
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

100 % retain.
hopefully the lad will continue his improvement further under mb .

8 / 10
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:57 pm Basically what Weasel said.

Think he has done well but dont think he has been as great as some and if the £20mil rumours were true then we should sell because i think better value could be found elsewhere.

Ronnie V possibly off to one of the biggest names in European football history incidentally, will never convince me that Phillips is twice as good and Vieira is apparently worth £8-9mil according to the Italian paper valuation, better value then Phillips could be found elsewhere as that highlights, so yes sell, not because he hasnt done alright, but because it would make sense.

7/10
The one player we do agree on is the quality that was Ronnie Vierra. Big shame we lost him and I think he'd have started over Phillips and never given up the position. Kalvin looked what he was an inexperienced DMF. Great season from him but he needs at least one more to complete the transition .
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Keep, we'll either get investment or sell Clarke. As for his 'value', I think he'll get better and could be a prem player with us this time next year.

8/10
hector

Post by hector »

Ok
he is one of the most improved players under Marcello, but as Faaip says, not quite there yet, so keep as why should anyone else get him after all this work.

Good season last time, apart from some mistakes

Keep, as he has stated he wants to stay.

Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I do see where weasel is coming from, and I don't think Kalvin is anywhere as good as some make out, but he really has been the standout improved player under Bielsa.

I don't really think we should be selling any of last year's starting 11 if we can help it - would rather sell Clarke as we have other exciting young 'wingers'.

If he's going to be benched, however, I'd sell for the highest price - no point having him and not playing him.

Keep
8 for the season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

So why is KP receiving 8+ ratings which is an excellent average rating over the season if he's not as good as what some make him out to be. Playing in a new position he was not only our most reliable defender Kalvin was our most consistent player squad.
Also he won many awards for his performances & apart from Clarke I haven't heard of any high bids on the table for the rest of our squad. The majority of our fan base will be hoping Phillips is still a Leeds player come August
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Retain as our DM

Move on

Average Rating

dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Surprised at the attitude towards selling Phillips, for me he is the most important player for us to keep, he will only get better, going into his second season as a DMF I’d turn 20million down
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:40 am Surprised at the attitude towards selling Phillips, for me he is the most important player for us to keep, he will only get better, going into his second season as a DMF I’d turn 20million down
Me too Dezzy :tup:

Phillips is one of those marmite players.

I travel with around 90 fans home & away & I don't know anyone who would want to get rid of one of our stars of the season, KP is highly regarded by all, love to see one of our own perform consistently at a high level

I'm not his only fan :lol:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It isn't just about whether you rate KP or not. We need to sell to buy players, or so we are led to believe. As such if we don't sell anyone then we have the same squad as last year and is that going to be good enough to win promotion?

To improve the side will need money - as such we seem to have 3 assets that other teams genuinely want - those are PJ, KP and Clarke. So at least one of those have to go for us to be able to improve the side. Now if just 1 goes we can maybe afford one decent player so probably at least 2 have to be sold. So realistically if we want to address the problems the squad had we probably need to sell 2 out of the 3 players mentioned. So it really is pick 2 from those 3, get them sold and try to improve the starting XI. KP is possibly the easiest to replace - that isn't downgrading the excellent season he had but just that we probably have options already in our squad that can replace him, especially given the fact that Bielsa converted him from a very average squad member into the player he is now. Bielsa didn't improve PJ in the same way, PJ was already one of our better players and best centreback, Bielsa didn't improve Clarke because Clarke's biggest attribute was his pace and trickery which he already had. As such out of the 3 players Bielsa would probably find it easiest to replace KP as he can mentor another player and teach him to play the role.