Gig Reviews

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Gig Reviews

Post by Sara »

I couldn't see another thread where this fitted without being 'off topic'. Apologies if I've missed one, and please delete/ merge as appropriate.
hector

Re: Gig Reviews

Post by hector »

There wasn't one, so now this one is it...... :)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Jeffrey Lewis
Hebden Bridge Trades Club

I've heard and liked a few songs by Jeffrey Lewis over the years, but not enough to buy an album or see him live. My friends from Hebden's band were supporting, so I mainly went to see them.

I like the Trades Club, it's the perfect size for a venue, for me, they have some good stuff on, and it's generally only a tenner to get in.

Jeffrey Lewis was running his own merch stall, selling his artwork and comics, as well as tee shirts. It was nice to be able to have a chat with him beforehand. His music is very much about the lyrics, so I was interested to see what sort of person he was. He seemed genuinely humorous and self deprecating.

The performance really surprised me. I was expecting him to just stand there and play his songs with his acoustic guitar, but it was more like a proper old fashioned punk gig, mixed with his psychedelic visuals and avant-garde theatrics. I was captivated throughout and really enjoyed it. It was probably one of the most varied performances I've been to. He's on at the Maze in Nottingham tonight; recommended if anyone's in that area and has nothing else to do on a Monday.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ges will love this topic Sara, he is our regular concert/festivals goer.

I've only been to three concerts in the last ten years.....R.E.M, Morrissey & Wally
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I enjoy seeing all kinds of music performed live. It can take the experience to another level, sometimes.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:45 pm Ges will love this topic Sara, he is our regular concert/festivals goer.

I've only been to three concerts in the last ten years.....R.E.M, Morrissey & Wally
Add the Killers & Moody Blues if you go back over the last twenty years
Denman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Denman »

I’m setting out on a 4 hour journey from Essex up to Keele Uni this coming Saturday to see the fantastic David Gedge and his band The Wedding Present. Yes I know he’s a Leeds born Man Utd fan, but what superb music the great man produces.
TwatsBack
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @armleywhite

Post by TwatsBack »

Really really looking forrad to seeing Foo Fighters at Leeds Fest in Aug.
Yup, it's me.
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ash »

Didn't like him as a player. Bang out if order shagging his sister in law and gagging his wife in the press. Time will tell as Wales' coach.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

ash wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:58 pm Didn't like him as a player. Bang out if order shagging his sister in law and gagging his wife in the press. Time will tell as Wales' coach.
Must have been a hell of a gig
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
ash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ash »

Am an old man now. So what f**k do I know.

Saw David Live and Thin White Duke tours. Amongst others. Was a big Bowie fan.

Songs in the key of life was special.

Faith no more, the Foos. Muse at Reading was a great set.

Clash on Hastings Pier. Clash and Steel Pulse in Rock against race march and Victoria Park.

Cortinas and Beat and Specials.

And a load of my sons gigs.
The original TWAT. The one and only real TWAT.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

King Crimson
Albert Hall

One of my favourite bands on the last night of their 50th anniversary tour. Also my first visit to the Albert Hall, so I was really looking forward to this.

How many superlatives do you want? Crimson live are simply astonishing, and this three drummer lineup is probably their best. Robert Fripp, Tony Levin and Mel Collins, in their 70s, are at the top of their game. Their music is as technical, expressive and powerful as anything I've seen. The sound and spectacle from the three drummers at the front of the stage is immense.

They played a really varied set this time, reflecting the anniversary, whereas last year's tour focused more on the heavier, more modern material. They play for three hours, which is pretty good value for your sixty quid too. I just hope this doesn't prove to be their farewell.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:19 pm King Crimson
Albert Hall

One of my favourite bands on the last night of their 50th anniversary tour. Also my first visit to the Albert Hall, so I was really looking forward to this.

How many superlatives do you want? Crimson live are simply astonishing, and this three drummer lineup is probably their best. Robert Fripp, Tony Levin and Mel Collins, in their 70s, are at the top of their game. Their music is as technical, expressive and powerful as anything I've seen. The sound and spectacle from the three drummers at the front of the stage is immense.

They played a really varied set this time, reflecting the anniversary, whereas last year's tour focused more on the heavier, more modern material. They play for three hours, which is pretty good value for your sixty quid too. I just hope this doesn't prove to be their farewell.
I'll borrow this for waccoe if you don't mind..GW maybe interested
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I know this ain't me seeing anyone live but Glasto is up. Looking forward to Sunday night and the Cure, also on Sunday the excellent Baby Metal, hope to see at least one track from them on the BEEB

Saturday looks like The Chemical Brothers will be the highlight maybe Hawkwind in whatever incarnation..

Friday looks a little meh, just Here Comes The Comet tweaking my interest
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:33 pm I'll borrow this for waccoe if you don't mind..GW maybe interested
Feel free
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Dope Lemon play Brudenell Social Club in OCT, if I were in Leeds I'd try for that one..
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Just got back last night from NOS Alive in Lisbon. Cracking line up, saw The Cure, The Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Primal Scream, Chemical Brothers, Johnny Marr, Perry Farrell Kind Heaven Orchestra, Mogwai, Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Greta Van Fleet and others for just under £120, cracking value. It was a very small site, everything was so close together, but it felt a bit overcrowded at times for the site size. Had a great time though, great sets and good weather. :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:27 pm Dope Lemon play Brudenell Social Club in OCT, if I were in Leeds I'd try for that one..
I went to Brudenell junior school
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:51 pm Just got back last night from NOS Alive in Lisbon. Cracking line up, saw The Cure, The Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Primal Scream, Chemical Brothers, Johnny Marr, Perry Farrell Kind Heaven Orchestra, Mogwai, Vampire Weekend, Bon Iver, Greta Van Fleet and others for just under £120, cracking value. It was a very small site, everything was so close together, but it felt a bit overcrowded at times for the site size. Had a great time though, great sets and good weather. :tup:
Great value SG especially when you can pay £120+ to see one artist live

Too many rip-off merchants in the music scene these days, we're not all celebrities, royal family, sportsmen, entertainers, etc
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:20 pm Great value SG especially when you can pay £120+ to see one artist live

Too many rip-off merchants in the music scene these days, we're not all celebrities, royal family, sportsmen, entertainers, etc
Completely agree. It's even worse now with golden circle and vip areas charging extortionate prices to go down the front.