Mays Deal - Remain - Leave (no deal)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Mays Deal - Remain - Leave

Poll ended at Mon May 20, 2019 10:10 am

Mays Deal
7%
Remain
36%
Leave
57%

Total votes: 14

Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Mays Deal - Remain - Leave (no deal)

Post by Doire_Boi »

Living in the north of Ireland it's getting pretty frustrating that England can't sort out our future. We need to keep our border open and me personally would take Mays deal. It delivers brexit but keeps us within both jurisdictions. The people here voted to remain so I think that should be considered - I know scotland did too but we have really sensitive issues with borders here. A girl was shot dead during rioting just up the street from me a few weeks back and I genuinely believe the men with the balaclavas will be back if a border goes up.

Just wanted to know what you guys think on this.

Taking my mind off Frank Lampard for a while.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Mays Deal - Remain - Leave (no deal)

Post by Sara »

Don't know enough about the NI situation to comment specifically, but the main concern for me is the democratic process. The ordinary population is rapidly losing any leverage over the way we are governed, both with the corporate and banking influence over the unaccountable EU system, and now Parliament effectively overriding the biggest democratic mandate in history.

If we don't leave the EU, the last pretence to democracy in this country has gone imo.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Wasting money on something we didn't need because of a few arrogant rah rahs having a squabble. And now they have no clue what they're doing and arrogantly think we can leave without a deal. Smacks of us sucking up to the Yanks and being under their control if I'm honest. That's what UKIP and the Tories want. Oh and a privatised NHS.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

SaraM wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:19 am Don't know enough about the NI situation to comment specifically, but the main concern for me is the democratic process. The ordinary population is rapidly losing any leverage over the way we are governed, both with the corporate and banking influence over the unaccountable EU system, and now Parliament effectively overriding the biggest democratic mandate in history.

If we don't leave the EU, the last pretence to democracy in this country has gone imo.
IMO most people voting at that stage didn't know how serious this would be. Now that we know how much of a dent our economny is going to take I think a revote would see remain win comfortably.

The EU are going to give us a horrid time when we do leave just to make an example of us so that nobody else leaves either.

I honestly believe Jeremy knows Mays deal is probably the best we can get and he won't agree to it because he just wants a general election.
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

SaraM wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:19 am Don't know enough about the NI situation to comment specifically, but the main concern for me is the democratic process. The ordinary population is rapidly losing any leverage over the way we are governed, both with the corporate and banking influence over the unaccountable EU system, and now Parliament effectively overriding the biggest democratic mandate in history.

Agree with you entirely Sara
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

I don't think anyone should vote on this thread

You could undermine the result
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

liggy wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:28 am I don't think anyone should vote on this thread

You could undermine the result
Are we undermining democracy :lol:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Doire_Boi wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:25 am I honestly believe Jeremy knows Mays deal is probably the best we can get and he won't agree to it because he just wants a general election.
This arrogant man thinking about his own personal power rather than the country's needs & democracy
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

All I know is the Tories being in complete control is terrifying, especially with Johnson and Rees-Mogg running things.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Doire_Boi wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:29 am Are we undermining democracy :lol:
One thing is for certain if democracy is overturned I will NEVER vote again in my lifetime

What's the point ?
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Doire_Boi wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:25 am IMO most people voting at that stage didn't know how serious this would be. Now that we know how much of a dent our economny is going to take I think a revote would see remain win comfortably.

The EU are going to give us a horrid time when we do leave just to make an example of us so that nobody else leaves either.
This is the argument of the establishment elite, that ordinary people are too thick to understand what they are voting for, so their opinions are worthless. We had 40 years to make our minds up about the EU, and waited as long to actually get a vote on the direction in which it was heading.

The majority of the arguments have been around short term economic forecasts, which is a distraction from the real issue of democratic sovereignty. I'm not talking about some narrow-minded nationalism, because the same problems apply equally in Europe.

There has been a systematic erosion of democratic accountability in the neoliberal era, with institutions like the EU and the State increasingly under corporate influence, to the detriment of the rights and conditions of working people. If we don't act to counter this in some way, we are in deep trouble.

Your second paragraph is simply an indictment of the power which the EU wields to counter the democratic will of sovereign states. It's hardly an argument for continuing under such a system.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:32 am All I know is the Tories being in complete control is terrifying, especially with Johnson and Rees-Mogg running things.
You can vote them out. Unlike the EU Commission. It's about democracy, not the policies of one party.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:32 am All I know is the Tories being in complete control is terrifying, especially with Johnson and Rees-Mogg running things.
Apparently Rees-Moggs "company" has thrived since the vote.

If this man ever gets in charge I'm moving to Dublin with my Irish passport :lol:
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:40 am One thing is for certain if democracy is overturned I will NEVER vote again in my lifetime

What's the point ?
Which do you think is the most effective protest in the forthcoming EU elections (which we shouldn't even be having), not voting or voting for Farage?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:40 am One thing is for certain if democracy is overturned I will NEVER vote again in my lifetime

What's the point ?
It's not a democracy if their campaign was built on lies to deceive people.
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

SaraM wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:43 am This is the argument of the establishment elite, that ordinary people are too thick to understand what they are voting for, so their opinions are worthless. We had 40 years to make our minds up about the EU, and waited as long to actually get a vote on the direction in which it was heading.

The majority of the arguments have been around short term economic forecasts, which is a distraction from the real issue of democratic sovereignty. I'm not talking about some narrow-minded nationalism, because the same problems apply equally in Europe.

There has been a systematic erosion of democratic accountability in the neoliberal era, with institutions like the EU and the State increasingly under corporate influence, to the detriment of the rights and conditions of working people. If we don't act to counter this in some way, we are in deep trouble.

Your second paragraph is simply an indictment of the power which the EU wields to counter the democratic will of sovereign states. It's hardly an argument for continuing under such a system.
I don't know about you but I like my job and if I can give the tories any credit it would be the 3.8% unemployment rate they have achieved after a double dip recession. I would much rather continue under the current EU system than play russian roulette with peoples jobs/lives.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

SaraM wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:45 am You can vote them out. Unlike the EU Commission. It's about democracy, not the policies of one party.
What are your thoughts on the royal family out of interest?
Doire_Boi
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Doire_Boi »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 am It's not a democracy if their campaign was built on lies to deceive people.
100%

Every single sector of our economy will suffer for at least a decade if we have a no deal - but boris knows better than the bank of england and farmers union. Whatever money we save from our EU annual bill will not be going to the NHS
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

All I can say from a labour area

For as long as tom can tell

Brexit party will cake wall it around here
Anyhoo I'm off on the hoy
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:54 am What are your thoughts on the royal family out of interest?
They should be removed, along with the unelected second house.