The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 15th May)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 15th May)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Should Leeds progress, at the expense of Derby, they will face Aston Villa in the final.

West Brom should have won the game comfortably on the night, but were unable to put away their chances.
Finally after 120 minutes of near stalemate, the game had to be decided by spot kicks, and Villa held their nerves.

Who'd like to see penalties tonight?

In hindsight, would this be your preferred route to the final?

Give me your predicted line up for this evening?

Is anyone superstitious?

If so, explain!!

Is Elland Road the same 'fortress' it was 20 / 30 years ago when teams were scared to set foot on Elland Road?

If not, why?

Will tonight be different?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 15th May)

Post by HarryofOz »

Hi EB et al,

Was hoping West Brom would win given the events the last time we played Villa. Don't need the distraction before or during the match.

Cassilla, Ayling, Berardi, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Hernandez, Klich, Shackleton, Harrison and Bamford.

No penalties thanks, I would prefer a 10-0 home win.

The only time ER has been a fortress is when we have had a good enough team. The Don Revie team was a fortress. Wilko and DoL had good enough teams for a successful home campaign and we have been very good at home this season.

I am not superstitious - knock on wood.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 am Hi EB et al,

Was hoping West Brom would win given the events the last time we played Villa. Don't need the distraction before or during the match.

Cassilla, Ayling, Berardi, Cooper, Dallas, Phillips, Hernandez, Klich, Shackleton, Harrison and Bamford.

No penalties thanks, I would prefer a 10-0 home win.

The only time ER has been a fortress is when we have had a good enough team. The Don Revie team was a fortress. Wilko and DoL had good enough teams for a successful home campaign and we have been very good at home this season.

I am not superstitious - knock on wood.
Can’t really add anything else so a big ditto from me
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:29 am Good Morning Everyone

Absolutely no one
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

No penalties please, I want an early goal from Leeds to put Derby under the kosh.
There Is Only One United.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Morning all!

No. Chuffing. Way.

Same as last time, with the exception of Bamford for Roofe. Shack to start over Forshaw and excel once again. To my mind he's much more promising a prospect than Clarke, another James Milner in the making, a young man of peerless stamina and versatility. Was there talking of Clarke starting?

Is anyone superstitious?

I can't say I truly am, but sometimes I do wonder...

Is Elland Road the same 'fortress' it was 20 / 30 years ago when teams were scared to set foot on Elland Road?

I haven't been to a home game since 2001, so I don't feel qualified to answer this, but it always sounds like a nice, peaceful, consistent atmosphere whenever I watch Sky Sports... :roflmao:

Will tonight be different?

In every way, hopefully - that is to say, we embark upon our rightful destiny.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Good morning!

Same team that finished at Derby, bar Bamford for Roofe.

Elland Road is certainly better than any of the other grounds I've been to (which isn't that many); Hillsborough, Bramall Lane, Ewood Park, City Ground, Meadow Lane, Pride Park, Kenilworth Road and the Turnbull Ground. There's always a good atmosphere at the latter for Real Gothic FC though!

No one wants penalties, not just because it's a nerve wracking and unsatisfactory way to conclude a game, but because we've already shown that we're hopeless at them, whereas Derby are quite good, having beaten the scumoids.

It depends on your definition of superstition. Strictly speaking, superstitious beliefs are only those which don't otherwise accord with your worldview, so commonly, an atheist praying, or a materialist practicing little acts of sympathetic magic. Such things are very much consistent with my worldview, so although I do them, I can rightly claim they are not superstitions!

In the case of Leeds, I always use my Dirty Leeds mug on matchday, and always wear some article of Leeds clothing during the game. Obviously this doesn't enable us to win every game, but if I didn't do it things could be much worse, and it would be my fault. Also, when we are losing, I try to pretend that I don't care, and that I'm completely indifferent to us making a comeback. This technique was particularly effective against Villa and Blackburn, and for a while against Forest.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

I didn't really mind who won last night, we can beat either but we're not there yet so I'll happily discuss it with anyone tomorrow once we have got there.
Definitely don't want penalties tonight but I don't think it will get that far. I think there will be a result one way or the other.

I think everyone is spot on with team selection - Bamford for Roofe, Shackleton for Forshaw. Maybe Pontus for Beradi but that would extremely harsh on Beradi if he was dropped.

I'm not normally superstitious but I had a nervous poo before the game on Saturday and we won so I'll be doing the same tonight.

Elland Road with be a cauldron tonight, proper hostile with loads of noise. And rightly so.
The way we took hold of the game on Saturday, made the home fans go quiet really quickly but I can't see that happening to our fans even if they take the lead.

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning all.

Here is the start 11

: Casilla, Dallas, Cooper, Berardi, Ayling, Phillips, Harrison, Klich, Shackleton, Hernandez, Bamford.

Jannson isnt fit so the bench will be Jack Clarke, Pascal Struijk, Robbie Gotts, Mateusz Bogusz. Bailey P and Brown.

Apart from Bailey P how many senior games has our bench played this season? I think the u23s will have to come to our rescue tonight.

It is sickening, but entirely in keeping with this season that we go into this massive game without 5 of our key players, players who have 25 goals between them, and who average 30 appearances over the season.

I am as nervous as I have ever been.

I'm not superstitious, the idea that me wearing a pair of socks or sitting in a certain seat or whatever will influence events elsewhere is ridiculous and belongs to the dark ages. Same as thinking that imaginary animal shapes in the heavens at the time I was born has an influence on my personality....

But hey
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

No right-minded individual would vote for that.

In hindsight, would this be your preferred route to the final?
We could beat any of them, so I'm not sure it matters, but having the opportunity to beat Derby again was nice.

Bamford for Roofe
Shack for Forshaw

Think it would be harsh to drop Berardi and if Pontus had a small injury it's not with risking exacerbating it. If we get to the final he'd have had 2 weeks to recover.

Not sure it's a fortress, but if the atmosphere is anything like vs. West Brom then it'll be a cauldron for Derby.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:05 pm I'm not superstitious, the idea that me wearing a pair of socks or sitting in a certain seat or whatever will influence events elsewhere is ridiculous and belongs to the dark ages. Same as thinking that imaginary animal shapes in the heavens at the time I was born has an influence on my personality....

But hey
For me it's the idea that we are separate, isolated little egos inside our own heads, rather than complex, multidimensional energy forms, connected to, and interactive with, the entire cosmos, which is ridiculous.

But hey.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:09 pm For me it's the idea that we are separate, isolated little egos inside our own heads, rather than complex, multidimensional energy forms, connected to, and interactive with, the entire cosmos, which is ridiculous.

But hey.
Wow you sound really clever.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Steven Zuber who we looked at but decided not to pursue has excelled in Germany and is being linked to Lazio and Roma, well done Leeds.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:33 pm Steven Zuber who we looked at but decided not to pursue has excelled in Germany and is being linked to Lazio and Roma, well done Leeds.
5 goals and 2 assists in 22... better than Harrison, but hardly world beating.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Genghers wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:58 pm 5 goals and 2 assists in 22... better than Harrison, but hardly world beating.
5 goals 1 assist in 13 Bundesliga games for Stuttgart since his loan move.

Would have been a decent option imo.

Just hope Harrison can repeat that cross a few times in the next 2.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 pm Wow you sound really clever.
:lol: