The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 14th May)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 14th May)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Bamford will spearhead our front line against Derby County tomorrow in the second leg of the play off semi finals!

Does Bamford come in for some unfair criticism?

Given the option to swap Bamford with either Nugent, Assombalonga, Rhodes, Afobe or Ince - would you?

Villa forward Jack Grealish will face no action from the FA following Saturday’s fixture.

The penalty incident was referred to an independent panel, and it was deemed not to be an act of simulation!

Given the option to either play West Brom or Villa should Leeds reach the final, who would you rather play, and why?
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 14th May)

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Morning EB
Think Bamford comes in for some unfair stick. Yes he misses chances but so does every striker at this level... thats why they play at this level not in the prem currently...
Id have him over any of the players mentioned.

Would rather play Villa than West Brom. Think West Brom are very unpredictable and could just as likely turn up and be unplayable as they could be terrible. Villa are more of a known quantity in the sense that you stop Grealish you stop Villa. I'd back KP in that battle every day of the week.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB and all

I was one of those excited by Bambi joining us but that feeling is now that of a damp squid, yes in moments he’s been brilliant but those have been far too few and looking at his career it seems to bare that out moments of brilliance but far more of he may as well not be on the pitch. That said if scores Wednesday then wins us the final I’ll be singing his name till my lungs burst - yep I’m that fickle ;-)

Rather play the Villians as Grealish must be claustrophobic spending all that time in Kalvin’s pocket and as Hereford said WBA can be poor but they can also be brilliant and score loads of goals :roll:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Does Bamford come in for some unfair criticism?

Yes he does. Okay he has missed some chances but has still scored 10 goals in not many matches. He has also had 2 very nasty injuries so I don't think he will be fully fit till next season. Fans are too quick to judge players who can have a bad few matches. Ayling took loads of abuse when he first came back into the team after his injury. After a few matches he was back up to match fitness and match sharpness and has been playing great. You can't just come back from an injury and be 100% especially in a Bielsa team built on high energy. Look at how many opposition players have struggled to last the pace against us in a single match and they play against us having been playing for their teams regularly - not having come back from an injury.

Given the option to swap Bamford with either Nugent, Assombalonga, Rhodes, Afobe or Ince - would you?

I wouldn't unless Bielsa did. Bielsa knows what he wants from his lone striker and if any of those fitted his criteria then you would have t think they would do well.

Given the option to either play West Brom or Villa should Leeds reach the final, who would you rather play, and why?

I have absolutely no preference as both teams have some players who can win a match. Main thing is that we first get to the final and then actually play how we want to and impose our game on whoever we play.The hope would be that they kick lumps out of each other tonight and sustain a few injuries and red cards and then we have a stress free night on Wednesday but heck we are Leeds so expect the rollercoaster of emotions.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Wasn't jumping for joy when we signed Bamford, he's not a bad player, just very inconsistent. Roofe suits our style better but like with Bolton away, there are games that Roofe couldn't get into but were crying out for a Bamford, ideally, Roofe stayed fit and Bamford came on in certain games. He could well be up for tomorrow, as he feels he has something to prove because of the Villa embarrassment. Non of the one's mentioned are any better imo.

Never expected anything other than that decision, they failed to penalise Lawrence , so Grealish was going to get away with it too, they really don't help the game with these decisions, encourages the cheats in the game to continue with their antics.

As West Brom would be without Gayle, I'd rather face them, the big mistake Moore made at ER was to put him out wide to appease his forwards, which basically meant they were playing with 10 men. Can't see them over turning the result though unfortunately.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

No issue with Bamford leading the line, it’s a shame to lose Roofe after the performance he put in, but Bamford has the potential to light up Elland Road tomorrow.
I wouldn’t swap him for any of the named strikers, with Gayle out I’d prefer WBA in the final, but without him I can’t see them making it
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning everyone!

Bamford
Does he get unfairly criticised? Yes. Same way as he was unfairly lauded as the ANSWER to all our problems. He scores late on in the drubbing at home to Norwich and we now put all our expectations on him. Our scoring worries are over.

All strikes miss chances. But in a crowded box, out of all our players he has the greatest technique to put away a chance.

I would suggest that more of an issue have been the woeful contribution of Harrison, Roberts in front of goal. Their return has been abysmal.

Grealish ( ha my auto complete turned that to Freakish) Complaining ref decisions in the other games... It feeds into the whole EFL is against this club, refs are in on it rubbish. Etc etc... Everyone benefits from and us penalised by dodgy ref decisions. Their players try and con the ref, so do ours, sometimes you get away with it sometimes you don't. Their players react angrily and violently to situations as do some of ours, sometimes they get caught sometimes not.

Paranoia roams where the shadows reign.....

Has to be Villa but let's not get ahead of ourselves, we have a tough game tomorrow.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Bamford has a reputation for being 'streaky' and I think we've seen that. He's not been helped by back-to-back injuries as it stopped any momentum he might build. Hopefully he'll be back and raring - all it'll take is an early goal from him and his confidence will be up.

Out of the strikers mentioned I think Assombalonga is the only one of consider - he's got a good balance of pace and strength. Not sure his movement is as good as Roofe's though... I'm happy with the two we have, but I think a third striker is a must if we find ourselves in here again.

Grealish and Lawrence should have both been banned for conning the ref. In those situations we need to start backing the defenders - they put in good challenges but have been penalised because the attacker has made sure there is contact and then made the most of it. You're giving the message that ANY contact in the box results in a pen if the attacker goes down, so you're reinforcing these guys' actions.

Not bothered who we get if we get there - we'll have to play well to win it regardless.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If we play AV in the PO final then the odds are they'll be able to con the ref...I'd prefer to play a proper footballing team like WBA.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 am If we play AV in the PO final then the odds are they'll be able to con the ref...I'd prefer to play a proper footballing team like WBA.
Especially as their conman will be suspended! :P

I do have the feeling Grealish is going to win a penalty in the final, Vile win and then he gets suspended, but the result not reversed...
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

Patrick Bamford definitely gets unfair criticism and hopefully he will silence the doubters tomorrow night.
He's as good as any other striker at this level and 10 goals isn't a bad return for someone who has basically missed over half a season.
And he's had a couple of weeks rest so he should be raring to go.

I really don't care who we face in the final if we get there. It's true West Brom will be weaker without Gayle but if they get they've done it without him so it means they can cope in big games without him.
I fully expect it to be Villa though.
Let's hope it's us they're facing in the final.
We're more than capable of winning a one off game against them.
But let's discuss that once we have got there....
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Chilli D wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 am But let's discuss that once we have got there....
This.

I keep hearing the "You'll beat us someday
..." line from the Lampard song and shuddering. Need to keep that hubris in check.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 am Morning everyone!

Bamford
Does he get unfairly criticised? Yes. Same way as he was unfairly lauded as the ANSWER to all our problems. He scores late on in the drubbing at home to Norwich and we now put all our expectations on him. Our scoring worries are over.

All strikes miss chances. But in a crowded box, out of all our players he has the greatest technique to put away a chance.

I would suggest that more of an issue have been the woeful contribution of Harrison, Roberts in front of goal. Their return has been abysmal.
Morning all. Ian's words perfectly sum up my feelings on Bamford and our bigger problems. It's just plain sod/Leeds's law that Roofe picked up an injury at the climax, but since it's apparently only enough to keep him out of this game perhaps that'll spur Bamford on to prove himself worthy of leading us into the final.

Regarding Grealish, I don't think it's a surprise to anyone. Much as I respect him as a player (and I know Bielsa would turn him into something special) he just has that golden boy aura about him that the media just lap up, like a young Lampard.

Without Gayle, I think West Brom would be the ideal finalists for us. They can't play on the counter because they don't have Gayle's pace and touch, Rodriguez is good but he can be handled easily enough without him to play off, and young lads like Shack and Clarke can run their lumbering CBs ragged.

Villa just have more about them, and I think WB will have exhausted their luck if they snuck through to the final. IF that happens, it will be after holding down a one-goal lead, playing through extra time and winnign on pens. They then face a confident Leeds at Wembley, lacking their best player and knackered beyond recovery.

Promotion Leeds.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Good morning!

I wouldn't swap Bamford for any of the players mentioned. I do wonder what Bielsa could do with someone like Jack Marriott though.

Would rather have WBA in the final, for reasons already mentioned; we know how to beat them comprehensively, and they are less likely to niggle and cheat their way to victory. Plus, Villa and Dean Smith have irritated me this season, so I'd rather they didn't have the opportunity.

Grealish ban? I've no idea how 'biased' these processes are in truth, but I have no faith in them, particularly after this season.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

faaip wrote:If we play AV in the PO final then the odds are they'll be able to con the ref...I'd prefer to play a proper footballing team like WBA.
Think I'm with you there. I have this gut feeling that Vile will get a rediculous decision through cheating again in the final to see them promoted. WBA are definitely more of a footballing team which suits us better and without Gayle they are much weaker up front. We have to get there first which is not going to be easy. .wonder if penalties have been practiced yet.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:56 am The hope would be that they kick lumps out of each other tonight and sustain a few injuries and red cards and then we have a stress free night on Wednesday...
Mate, I said the same but thinking on it, the lads probably need the threat of a strong team for motivation. I can't help but see them underestimating a weak opposition and getting punished for it.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »