How's everyone's nerves?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: How's everyone's nerves?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 pm Thought I would bump us.

Is our quiet confidence going to be replaced with what everyone was feeling about 10 days ago?

Confidence?

I'm a wreck the morning of every game!! :?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't think i get nervous at all, passionate yes ..nervous no. Think I'll be worse though if we get promoted though next season. I feel it'll be a relegation battle. I hate relegation battles they're depressing, I've kinda gotten used to being a Championship team...maybe that's just Stockholm Syndrome
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Losing to Chelsea will be particularly brutal
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

I am curious if we go up and fight relegation as to whether the gate is a few thousand less as the glory hunters get p1ssed off and abandon ship!
At least it means i can make a few games!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Dalton wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:48 pm I am curious if we go up and fight relegation as to whether the gate is a few thousand less as the glory hunters get p1ssed off and abandon ship!
At least it means i can make a few games!
Good point and same here.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

faaip wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:50 pm I don't think i get nervous at all, passionate yes ..nervous no. Think I'll be worse though if we get promoted though next season. I feel it'll be a relegation battle. I hate relegation battles they're depressing, I've kinda gotten used to being a Championship team...maybe that's just Stockholm Syndrome

Fighting at the top of the Championship at least gives you something to play for, this year has been fun.

If we go up, next year wont be fun, the novelty will wear off quickly.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We'd have to spend 30-50m to avoid the drop again. No wait, we will be told we need to spend 30-50m to avoid the drop by a section of the fans and the media. I think I'd gamble a season spending not much at all, let our kids and those who got us there a shot at staying up, maybe just adding a couple of 10M's to replace any sales. Save the 100m plus for season 2 or for a second championship assault season after next. (How much did Fulham spend this season to finish 19th? We could finish 19th next season with this team!) We'd be set for a good while with the money from the prem and parachute payments
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I'm still cool about the whole thing. We're guaranteed the play-offs whatever else happens. Going from the TC collapse through the Feckinarse couldn't buy a win drudgery to never out of the top 4 all season is some transformation. That makes this a hugely successful season however the next 4 games pan out.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

I have every confidence we will go up, obviously I'm a nervous about every game, but I have more than enough confidence in the team and the management to go up automatically, we now have breathing space above the blunts, so all we need to do is match them point for point and we are up, got a feeling Forest will turn up on Friday and get at least a draw................
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:59 pm We'd have to spend 30-50m to avoid the drop again. No wait, we will be told we need to spend 30-50m to avoid the drop by a section of the fans and the media. I think I'd gamble a season spending not much at all, let our kids and those who got us there a shot at staying up, maybe just adding a couple of 10M's to replace any sales. Save the 100m plus for season 2 or for a second championship assault season after next. (How much did Fulham spend this season to finish 19th? We could finish 19th next season with this team!) We'd be set for a good while with the money from the prem and parachute payments
I don't see the point of promotion only to be relegated again, that's going backwards.

How many clubs go back up again after relegation ?

This opportunity maybe the only crack we'll get at the premiership.

We'll need to improve the squad & consolidate our position gradually & go on from there

I don't want a yo-yo club, we need to continue our progress if & when we are promoted to the premiership.

Burnley & Bournemouth have shown it can be done on a small budget, I would hope we could better those two smaller clubs in time with our revenue, sponsorship & all the monies that come with premiership status
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

After the weekend's results I started to feel excited. That performance coming on the back of two poor Sheff U results puts us firmly in the driving seat. It also turns the pressure back onto them, given that they play before us every game until the final day. All we have to do is match their result, and I can't see them winning all 4.

I've been nervous for games since Christmas to be honest. Always excited, but always nervous along with it. We're so close now and to miss out on promotion having played the way we have (and with the optimism that Bielsa has brought) would be a real gut punch, especially if he were to leave.

I'm in favour of bolstering weaker areas, without any over the top spending if we do go up. We're not in the position of Wolves, who had premier league quality internationals with them last year. You'd like to think that the majority could make the step up and be at least competitive (Kiko, Jansson, Cooper, Ayling, Phillips, Klich, Pablo, Roofe? etc) and the areas of weakness (e.g. striker and wingers) we could bring players in. Dan James would obviously be likely, but I'm sure scouting is well underway.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Relegation invites chaos:

Managers/coaches that achieved promotion sacked
Invariably new coach is inferior to the one dismissed
Squad demotivated
Best players sold
Panic replacement signings
Fans turn their backs on their club when things are not going well

The only way to achieve success is by moving forward
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 am I don't see the point of promotion only to be relegated again, that's going backwards.

We'll need to improve the squad & consolidate our position gradually & go on from there

I don't want a yo-yo club, we need to continue our progress if & when we are promoted to the premiership.

Burnley & Bournemouth have shown it can be done on a small budget, I would hope we could better those two smaller clubs in time with our revenue, sponsorship & all the monies that come with premiership status
Well said young man. Even Huddersfield survived their first season. The key is adding the right player(s), Huddersfield spent big on a striker who doesn't score and this season it has caught up with them (also they didn't really strengthen elsewhere after only just staying up). Most teams getting promoted lately have survived their first season (this season being a bit of an exception with Fulham and Cardiff looking like they will come down).

No reason at all why most of our players cannot continue to improve, most weren't even 'championship standard' going into this season but with Bielsa's influence they have all improved. Add 2 or 3 players, continue the improvement, have the youth pushing and everything is rosy. That said we still need to get there and I am sure we were having these conversations a couple of seasons ago before failing.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I'm less nervous now than I have been over the last two or three months, because we've shown that we're not going to collapse. It's in our hands with four games to go - nothing guaranteed, of course, but to be where we are already is a huge achievement. If we end up in the playoffs, that'll be a different matter, and I'll be bricking it again.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

1964white wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 am I don't see the point of promotion only to be relegated again, that's going backwards.

Agree, it’s been so tough to get there, if we get there, to not have a serious crack at it, we have solid foundations, with shrewd spending no reason we couldn’t be relatively comfortable in the Premiership
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

As for nerves I’m rattled. So much riding on these games, we’ve spent too long in the wilderness. Wigan are battling for their survival, so it won’t be easy. The thing that worries me is the last two times we’ve been in the playoff final, my other team, Munster have been in the European Cup final, they are playing in the Semi final this weekend..... :shock:
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I’m struggling to think about anything else right now, although after several weeks of thinking we’d blown it only to bounce back each time I am starting to really believe we can do it. I’m looking forward to 7 days time when we’ll have 2 to go and see how many points gap we have then, hopefully the same as now or a bigger difference will be fantastic. Fingers well and truly crossed.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I agree with that, no point going up to come back down. Also we have far greater potential than over half the clubs already in the PL. Companies will be queuing up to be part of our success with sponsorship, corporate boxes etc. Revenue into the city increases as a result of PL football. Social media followings increase dramatically. We just need to get there and our status jumps overnight.
We would need to be bold, (not stupid), with transfers but if Bielsa stays then he can nurture and transform the most ordinary player and turn them into something special.

It’s within touching distance, four huge games and it’s ours.
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

agreed 64.
if we get promoted i would be very confident we'll hold our own. the premiership as three leagues in one . if our young uns continue to improve, mb at the helm and we bring in some quality to add what we already have , a cb , a pacy winger and a forward i can't see no reason why we we wouldn't survive or better lower mid table we actually might surprise a few with our high intensity and fitness levels . like you say the only way is to slowly steadily progress like others have.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

A lot of if's...bet Fulham thought they did enough too. Hope for the best, plan for the worst