Points required ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Points required ?

Post by 1964white »

Ten points from our remaining four games would see us in the premiership next season.

How many points do you think we'll actually require to gain promotion ?

Leeds

Wigan (h)
Brentford (a)
Aston Villa (h)
Ipswich (a)

Blunts

Forest (h)
Hull (a)
Ipswich (h)
Stoke (a)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Points required ?

Post by weasel »

Impossible to say as we could lose all 4 and go up, equally Sheff Utd could beat Forest, we lose to Wigan and they are back in front. Sheff U certainly look to be a bit jittery but equally they know they have to win so it might help them as they can throw caution to the wind.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Leeds

Wigan (h) Win
Brentford (a) Draw
Aston Villa (h) Draw
Ipswich (a) Win

Blunts

Forest (h) Win
Hull (a) Draw
Ipswich (h) Win
Stoke (a) Loose
[/quote]

So 8 for us and 7 for the Blunts
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

The run-ins are fairly similar for all 3 teams at the top. We have the hardest single game in Villa but overall Blades fixtures are possibly slightly trickier.

Sheffield United also have the worst form of the top three. That said, if we get 10 points we go up, no matter what they do.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I really hope we don't need something from the Ipswich game to achieve promotion.
Our record at Portman Road is not good and yes I know they are already down but they will owe to their fans to try and finish on a high.
Plus I will be there (ticket on it's way) and will be a bag of nerves if we need something.
It would be great if we could seal promotion against Villa in front of all the loyal fans who have continued to support them through some of our darkest days.
I think (hope) we'll beat Wigan but Brentford away worries me. We never do well down there.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Don't be surprised if we need the lot.

Blunts have slipped up the last two games in
(drawing with two teams, Millwall who
we struggled to beat and Brums we lost to! )

They have 8 points from their last 5 games while we have 9.
They will be down but if this season tells you anything, hardly out.

I think we go to the final day.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I do think we'll beat Wigan & Ipswich & also think we'll acquire at least a point v Villa which would give us 7 points

Brentford could be sting in the tail for us :

Brentford have the 3rd best home record.
Bees scored 45 goals conceded 23 at home which is comparable to the top six in the championship.
We haven't won at Griffin Park in our last nine visits.
1950 was the last time we won there.
Small pitches doesn't suit our style of play
The Bees run at teams with pace which is a facet of our game we struggle with.
Bees have a prolific goalscorer in Neal Maupay (23 goals), also Benrahma is to Brentford what Pablo is for Leeds, 10 goals & 14 assists from midfield.

So if we get anything at Brentford it would be a bonus !

I would fear going into the final game at Portman Road needing points as nerves & pressure could takes it's toll

The one consolation is the blunts are not playing well or winning on a consistent basis right now, they've had some luck of late & nearly got another slice v Millwall, that luck seems to have deserted them. Now lets see how they cope with important players missing !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:53 am Don't be surprised if we need the lot.

Blunts have slipped up the last two games in
(drawing with two teams, Millwall who
we struggled to beat and Brums we lost to! )

They have 8 points from their last 5 games while we have 9.
They will be down but if this season tells you anything, hardly out.

I think we go to the final day.
Yes it may well go to the wire Ian

I'm certainly not counting my chickens yet in fact I'm as nervous as hell tbh even though we have a three points advantage as the table stands now
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

2 wins & 2 draws or 3 wins means SU need to win all 4 which I can't see them doing but they play teams who have nothing to play for really so anything is possible. SU have it the buffers since beating Leeds and badly. Winning against Bristol but eventually losing, winning against Brum and Wall and only drawing . Now they have players injured and suspended to test them further. Leeds are on a good run and looking strong. Leeds have got this as long as they stay calm and play their usual game.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited by BGwhite on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Leeds

Wigan (h) = win
Brentford (a) = draw
Aston Villa (h) = draw
Ipswich (a) = win

Blunts

Forest (h) = win
Hull (a) = lose
Ipswich (h) = win
Stoke (a) = draw

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a result vs Brentford and I gave the blunts the benefit of the doubt vs Forest but my feeling is a draw.

I feel 6 points will be enough, 88 points will give us Promotion IMO.

Wigan is a must win in terms of a physiological advantage on the blunts.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I would definitely take a draw at Brentford as some are predicting
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Could Norwich manage say 4 points and throw themselves into the mix or are they going to snap out of it?
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
gessa

Post by gessa »

I can see 6 points being enough, expect the blunts to get 8 from the remaining games.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Without Egan, sharp and Basham I can see the Blunts dropping more points than us. 7 is the magic number I think, maybe 6.
Villanois
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villanois »

Villa fan here. Villa are a different side of late, but Leeds remain the best side we've played this season.
Noel Whelan commented that Leeds need to get automatic to avoid Villa in the play offs. For the record we'd like to avoid you in the play offs too please :)
It's always fun for opposition supporters to make fun of a big club getting relegated, Leeds, Villa, Newcastle etc etc. But the truth is been too long for the likes of Leeds to be in the premier league. I for one look forward to you moving on from this 3 point advantage and hope that you finish as champions and for us to win the play offs, obviously.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Villanois wrote:Villa fan here. Villa are a different side of late, but Leeds remain the best side we've played this season.
Noel Whelan commented that Leeds need to get automatic to avoid Villa in the play offs. For the record we'd like to avoid you in the play offs too please :)
It's always fun for opposition supporters to make fun of a big club getting relegated, Leeds, Villa, Newcastle etc etc. But the truth is been too long for the likes of Leeds to be in the premier league. I for one look forward to you moving on from this 3 point advantage and hope that you finish as champions and for us to win the play offs, obviously.
Nice comment, it will be a great game at ER by 2 sides who like to play football, I just hope that the occasion doesn't become overwhelming as there maybe a lot riding on it for both sides.

gessa

Post by gessa »

Villanois wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 pm Villa fan here. Villa are a different side of late, but Leeds remain the best side we've played this season.

Looking likely you'll be in a 2 legged semi with the baggies, that should be fun.
Villanois
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villanois »

gessa wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:53 pm Looking likely you'll be in a 2 legged semi with the baggies, that should be fun.
The Baggies are a little flustered at the moment. Remind me of us at this stage of the season. We desperately wanted to be good enough to get promoted but deep down we knew there was something lacking. 2 leg play offs are a little less of a lottery, but still there's a lot of pressure.
I'm just also wondering if bristol city finished 6th, whether they have sheffield United's number ?
Villanois
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Villanois »

BGwhite wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm Nice comment, it will be a great game at ER by 2 sides who like to play football, I just hope that the occasion doesn't become overwhelming as there maybe a lot riding on it for both sides.

Think we're more likely to drop points at ER than at home vs Norwich
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Villanois wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 pm Villa fan here. Villa are a different side of late, but Leeds remain the best side we've played this season.
Welcome Villanois :tup:

Villa have been on a great run since Jack Grealish returned to the fore. Good win without Jack in the team, is he injured again or was he rested ?

I fancy us to get at least a point against Villa at ER. I'm more concerned about Brentford at Griffin Park out of our remaining four matches.

Not counting my chickens until it is mathematically impossible for the Blunts to catch us.

Good luck in the play-offs as long as we avoid them