Champions League

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Champions League

Post by whiteswan »

Just watching Bayern Munich v Liverpool. Liverpool go through 1-3. It really irks me that Bayern have four 'stars' above their badge when they should only have three :x
gessa

Re: Champions League

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:55 pm Just watching Bayern Munich v Liverpool. Liverpool go through 1-3. It really irks me that Bayern have four 'stars' above their badge when they should only have three :x

2, St Ettienne were robbed in the final the year after us Swan.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 pm 2, St Ettienne were robbed in the final the year after us Swan.
Against Bayern?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:22 pm Against Bayern?
Sorry ges, I saw your reply on my phone, didn't catch the '2' bit. So yes, they should only have 2 stars....even more irky now :x
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

That first Mane goal though... :shock:
gessa

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:25 pm Sorry ges, I saw your reply on my phone, didn't catch the '2' bit. So yes, they should only have 2 stars....even more irky now :x
I once had to go to A&E in France and the doctor who treated me, was a St Ettienne supporter, he remembered both finals and was "overjoyed" to be sent to study at Leeds University when he was younger, he felt an affection to Leeds as we were both robbed by Bayern. Leeds became his English team :)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I remember my mum being so confused when I wasn’t overjoyed at the new Subbuteo side she bought for me and by bro.

Bayern Munich. :lol:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:58 am I remember my mum being so confused when I wasn’t overjoyed at the new Subbuteo side she bought for me and by bro.

Bayern Munich. :lol:
I can remember in the mid 70's when getting my first Subbuteo set for the 2nd team (the 1st obviously being Leeds) that I'd go for something that was European, you probably only ever saw once in a while on a Wednesday night Sportsnight, with Harry Carpenter (if allowed to stay up) and sounded good, so plumped for a Red Star Belgrade team.

On opening the b/day package of boxes (I seem to recall all the stuff, goals etc.... came in different boxes back then) imagine the visible disappointment to note that the sticker on the end of the RSB team box read 'Stoke City/Red Star Belgrade' - same bloo*y kit !!...........not very exciting to be playing Stoke City every time :roll:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:38 pm I can remember in the mid 70's when getting my first Subbuteo set for the 2nd team (the 1st obviously being Leeds) that I'd go for something that was European, you probably only ever saw once in a while on a Wednesday night Sportsnight, with Harry Carpenter (if allowed to stay up) and sounded good, so plumped for a Red Star Belgrade team.

On opening the b/day package of boxes (I seem to recall all the stuff, goals etc.... came in different boxes back then) imagine the visible disappointment to note that the sticker on the end of the RSB team box read 'Stoke City/Red Star Belgrade' - same bloo*y kit !!...........not very exciting to be playing Stoke City every time :roll:
Stoke :sick:

'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

gessa wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:40 pm I once had to go to A&E in France and the doctor who treated me, was a St Ettienne supporter, he remembered both finals and was "overjoyed" to be sent to study at Leeds University when he was younger, he felt an affection to Leeds as we were both robbed by Bayern. Leeds became his English team :)
I quite liked that St Ettienne side of that era , I believe they had a young Platini in that side , at the time they were far and away the best and most successful side in France as Leeds were the best in England around then , but times change , Borrussia Monchengladbach were establishing themselves as Germany's best as well .