Championship 18/19

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Championship 18/19

Post by Chilli D »

We have the worst goal difference of the top four now so that's worth a point to our rivals.
We simply have to have a better points total than two of them to guarantee automatic promotion.
If we can get to the end of March still in the top 2, we will go up.
The next few weeks are huge.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Championship 18/19 - QPR v West Brom tonight

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:46 pm The hope for me is that Brown and Bamford can increase our efficiency. Both have that bit of class to be able to convert more chances than those others in their position or create better chances for others. It is the small margins that make so much different, the weight of the pass for example which turns a half chance into a decent chance.

It is however a tricky one to judge because it is always hard to quantify things in terms of simply how many shots a striker needs to score, something Faiip continually points out. Equally would a striker who scored at a more proficient rate than Roofe in the same period of games have made the team better if he hadn't matched Roofe's workrate and not only the chances that Roofe's movement actually create for himself but the workrate off the ball that limits the opposition being able to play out from the back more and create more chances for themselves. An example would be Lasogga who seemed a lot more clinical yet had very limited movement. Was a striker who fitted Bielsa's mould available in the window or did he prefer to rely on Roofe and Bamford?
A fully fit Patrick Bamford would have scored more goals then Roofe imo, we have been very unlucky with that, for me Bamford is a better all round striker then Roofe, maybe not quite as mobile but more of a goal threat and technically better. Izzy Brown fully fit is a top class player, better then Saiz. But as you say the hope is they can fire us on, but there is no guarantee there fitness will hold up.

While i think Roofe deserves credit for his workrate at the end of the day if you play as a lone frontman you have to be clinical, i dont think Roofe has been, certainly not as clinical as the top strikers have been.

Its interesting because neither Roofe or Bamford were the striker Bielsa wanted, it was Vydra, who is probably a better striker then the pair of them, he has great movement and workrate like Roofe, but he is very clincal like Bamford.

I do wonder how many of our sigings were 1st choice? Casilla probably, Douglas probably, apart from that?

Would we be higher up if we had Pukki, Gayle, Maupay etc, yes thats probably clear.

I think we should have done more to get proper quality in in the window, we lost a key player in Saiz, to not replace him was criminal, either totally stupid or incredibly stubborn depending who you believe.

Dowell and Madine have already made important contributions for Blades, WBA have had contributions from Murphy and Montero, Boro have been improved by there January signings, we havent.

I think if we dont go up then Radz will have questions to answer and rightly so, if this was Cellino or Bates or GFH then they would be roundly criticsed for our January business.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I saw a stat the other day and it said that we’d created 404 chances this season which is 44 more than any other team in the championship. Therefore we are not clinical enough.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Championship 18/19 - QPR v West Brom tonight

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 pm
Would we be higher up if we had Pukki, Gayle, Maupay etc, yes thats probably clear
I would think so if those players settled into Bielsa's system. Had the James deal came off, he certainly would have fitted in. Why we had to leave all the 'wheeling & dealing' until the last day of the window god only knows !
Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 pm I think we should have done more to get proper quality in in the window, we lost a key player in Saiz, to not replace him was criminal, either totally stupid or incredibly stubborn depending who you believe
If Brown fails or breaks down again it will be seen as a crazy decision not to replace Saiz
Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 pm Dowell and Madine have already made important contributions for Blades, WBA have had contributions from Murphy and Montero, Boro have been improved by there January signings, we havent
West Brom on a roll since making their three new signings
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:12 pm I saw a stat the other day and it said that we’d created 404 chances this season which is 44 more than any other team in the championship. Therefore we are not clinical enough.
Maybe but what constitutes a chance? In every game I have saw we have had woeful decision making with players trying potshots from either too far out or too wide with the keeper not being called into to action.

It may go down as a stat as a created chance but tbf it was more of a hopeless speculation after our attacking play ground to a halt 25 yards out.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:26 pm Maybe but what constitutes a chance? In every game I have saw we have had woeful decision making with players trying potshots from either too far out or too wide with the keeper not being called into to action.

It may go down as a stat as a created chance but tbf it was more of a hopeless speculation after our attacking play ground to a halt 25 yards out.
I've given up...most fans see a number and draw the wrong conclusion
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Rams Rams are falling apart again :whistle: :whistle: .

:) lost to Millwall at home, Frank I think Chelsea are knocking your door down to be there Manager :rol:. A wanna be.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

leedsmad wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:18 am Rams Rams are falling apart again :whistle: :whistle: .

:) lost to Millwall at home, Frank I think Chelsea are knocking your door down to be there Manager :rol:. A wanna be.
Frank Wankhard will be accusing them of spying now .
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I went spying on a Derby training session and stood in the middle of the goal the Derby strikers were using - nobody spotted me.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Bristol to beat Norwich, West Brom and Blunts to draw, please.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

WBA Blunts draw, Gayle to dive for a penalty and then get banned please. I'd even take a blunts win tbf, WBA are the bigger threat.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Blunts lead 0-1
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bad result for Brom if they lose at home to SU ..They'll have to beat us next week to stay in it
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Having just watched West Brom v Sheff U, very impressed again with Sheff U and I fear for us when we play them in a couple of weeks, they completely nullified West Brom, we will need a top class performance against them to get anything.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

60sUnited wrote:Having just watched West Brom v Sheff U, very impressed again with Sheff U and I fear for us when we play them in a couple of weeks, they completely nullified West Brom, we will need a top class performance against them to get anything.
And against WBA imo. I think both are too strong for Leeds and I'm certainly not expecting to get anything out of either game.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:50 pm And against WBA imo. I think both are too strong for Leeds and I'm certainly not expecting to get anything out of either game.
I'd take a loss to WBA if we beat Sheff.

No reason we can't beat either if we play well though.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:50 pm And against WBA imo. I think both are too strong for Leeds and I'm certainly not expecting to get anything out of either game.
Really? They were nothing special when we beat them in December and today was their first away win against a top 6 side all year. I wouldn't say they were better than us at all. I'd also say that maybe they've peaked too soon and they will have a bad patch soon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Win on Tuesday and we'd be 3 clear of blunts and 7 ahead of WBA, with the potential to go 10 clear, which you'd think would be uncatchable at this point in the season. Massive two games coming up.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

SG90 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:20 pm Win on Tuesday and we'd be 3 clear of blunts and 7 ahead of WBA, with the potential to go 10 clear, which you'd think would be uncatchable at this point in the season. Massive two games coming up.
3 points on blunts mean nothing as there superior goal difference cancels it out.
Blunts were brilliant can see them and Norwich going up automatically.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

leedsmad wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:28 pm 3 points on blunts mean nothing as there superior goal difference cancels it out.
Blunts were brilliant can see them and Norwich going up automatically.
Not if we win games though. Also they've still got to come to ER. Today guarantees them nothing.