WHAT IS THE MOST INTIMIDATING GROUND YOU’VE VISITED AS AN AWAY FAN?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

hector

Re: WHAT IS THE MOST INTIMIDATING GROUND YOU’VE VISITED AS AN AWAY FAN?

Post by hector »

barnsley in the early 80's was no picnic ground
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

personally cold blow lane mid 80s was no walk in the park.
main rd 78 ish was rough as a bears arse.
white hart lane, ayresome park , roker park, upton park , goodison park , st andrews , st james park etc were all pretty bad bitd.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 am barnsley in the early 80's was no picnic ground
Barnsley gets my vote as well hector. Went with My Mum in the eighties whilst on leave from the Middle East. I got hit on the head with a coin and the toilets were disgusting. No roof and 'fans' could see straight in!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Roker Park, late 70's was scary
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
hector

Post by hector »

Might have been me getting you with the coin :shock: :shock:

maybe my younger self knew you would end up pushing McDonut down our throats on an interweb forum, and I was trying to protect society as a whole..

:) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We're talking decades ago here

Rarely see much intimidation these days

Stamford Bridge, Upton Park, White Hart Lane, Bramall Lane, Hillsborough, Ninian Park, St Andrews, Ayresome Park
johnny wadd
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @jnicholson53

Post by johnny wadd »

AYRESOME PARK, got chased for miles after a game
1964white

Post by 1964white »

johnny wadd wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:23 pm AYRESOME PARK, got chased for miles after a game
You are still likely to be chased by the smoggies at the Riverside even nowadays, only one way out of the road network, all the chavs sit on the bank verges waiting for the away fans after the game
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Most of the one's have been when watching Lincoln City back in the late 70's to early/mid 80's.
As I think I mentioned in a different thread earlier this week Field Mill (Mansfield), but also the likes of Saltergate (Chesterfield) and the Old Showground (Scunthorpe) were always lively experiences as they were considered local 'derbies' of sorts.
Of the bigger grounds visited watching Leeds the walk down from the tube station to Upton Park was a tad unnerving and maybe White Hart Lane.
Went to Maine Road a few times with a friend and his dad (who were Citeh season ticket holders) and you had to pay the local kids on the street to 'look after' your car. If you didn't pay it wouldn't be there, would be on bricks, would be keyed or worse when you got back after the game (and that was home fan's cars !)
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:39 pm Most of the one's have been when watching Lincoln City back in the late 70's to early/mid 80's.
As I think I mentioned in a different thread earlier this week Field Mill (Mansfield), but also the likes of Saltergate (Chesterfield) and the Old Showground (Scunthorpe) were always lively experiences as they were considered local 'derbies' of sorts.
Of the bigger grounds visited watching Leeds the walk down from the tube station to Upton Park was a tad unnerving and maybe White Hart Lane.
Went to Maine Road a few times with a friend and his dad (who were Citeh season ticket holders) and you had to pay the local kids on the street to 'look after' your car. If you didn't pay it wouldn't be there, would be on bricks, would be keyed or worse when you got back after the game (and that was home fan's cars !)
main rd was in the middle of moss side. rows and rows of terrace houses and alleys. Horrible place to visit in the 7os .
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Spurs 1980, our coach dropped us on Seven Sisters Road opposite a pub called The Bricklayers Arms and as we got off the pub emptied, one poor lad just in front of me got stabbed and loads of us got chased all over, after the game all hell broke loose and a Spurs fan got thrown through a shop window. I’ve been to Sours many times since and never known it as bad as that.
Others that were a bit nasty

Man City (Maine Rd)
West Ham (Upton Park)
Millwall (Old Den)
Chelsea
leic white 63
First Team
First Team

Post by leic white 63 »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 pm Spurs 1980, our coach dropped us on Seven Sisters Road opposite a pub called The Bricklayers Arms and as we got off the pub emptied, one poor lad just in front of me got stabbed and loads of us got chased all over, after the game all hell broke loose and a Spurs fan got thrown through a shop window. I’ve been to Sours many times since and never known it as bad as that.

Man City (Maine Rd)
West Ham (Upton Park)
Millwall (Old Den)
Chelsea
a leeds fan got killed outside whl early 80s not sure if it was the cup game in 82. absolute mayhem that day.
in 79 /80 a few of us got chased down the tracks at whl station eventually we ended up in some dark run down council flats it always reminds me of that film the warriors when we at to bop are way back to kings x . was a very moody place .
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

leic white 63 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:51 am a leeds fan got killed outside whl early 80s not sure if it was the cup game in 82. absolute mayhem that day.
in 79 /80 a few of us got chased down the tracks at whl station eventually we ended up in some dark run down council flats it always reminds me of that film the warriors when we at to bop are way back to kings x . was a very moody place .
That was 81, because the year after at the cup game a Sours fan got pushed down an escalator and sadly died.
Rough old times back then 63
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 pm Spurs 1980, our coach dropped us on Seven Sisters Road opposite a pub called The Bricklayers Arms and as we got off the pub emptied, one poor lad just in front of me got stabbed and loads of us got chased all over, after the game all hell broke loose and a Spurs fan got thrown through a shop window. I’ve been to Sours many times since and never known it as bad as that.

Man City (Maine Rd)
West Ham (Upton Park)
Millwall (Old Den)
Chelsea
There was trouble as we exiting the stadium at White Hart Lane in the cup game after Beckford scored the equalising penalty in the last minute. 100's of Spurs fans waiting for the Leeds fans & it all kicked off, we were lucky because as we were about to enter the street the stewards shut the gates keeping 1000's of our fans behind closed doors. I felt for the 100's who got caught up in the fracas
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

1964white wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:23 pm Stamford Bridge, St Andrews
Had a couple of interesting experiences at Stamford Bridge and St Andrews. I regard Chelsea fans as the scummiest, most horrible bunch after one particular occasion.

Walking through the wastelands of Middlesbrough back from the Riverside is always good fun too.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Definitely used to be the rising Sun
Against the barking dog.
Me and Alfie Bolam got stuck reet into it up there.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 pm Might have been me getting you with the coin :shock: :shock:

maybe my younger self knew you would end up pushing McDonut down our throats on an interweb forum, and I was trying to protect society as a whole..

:) :)
So it WAS you :shock:. I've had my suspicions all these years. You old cheapskate....it was a 2p coin. The way it hurt I thought it had to be a 50p :lol: