The #LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Thur 10th Jan)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Thur 10th Jan)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone, and thank you for filling in for me during my absence. I'm back home now, and slowly on the mend.

If anyone fancies a turn posting up the BD every now and then, please let me know. It would be great to share!!!

Could the fact that Lewis Baker was recalled by Chelsea, and subsequently sent out on loan to Reading be a blessing in disguise for Leeds?

It has to mean that Bielsa will need to replace the player, especially after unexpectedly losing Saiz over Christmas.

Then have a look at our current injury list :

Brown

Bamford

Berardi

Dallas

Douglas

Hernandez

I firmly believe that if Bielsa was not happy with anything, he would be the first to voice his displeasure, and he hasn't.

Perhaps Bakers absence will be the straw that broke the Camel's back?

According to Sun Journalist Alan Nixon, Victor Orta had been active “for the last few days!

As reliable sources go, Nixon is a credible authority.

Bielsa has told us that with Hernandez injured, Tyler Roberts will come in to play the number 10 role tomorrow night!

Should he be letting our opposition know what our plans are?

With the lack of minutes on the pitch (for the first team) Roberts has had, is he going to be good enough / sharp enough to fill Hernandez's void?

Are we talking square pegs in to round holes?

Given the option, who would take a draw against Derby tomorrow night?

Douglas will be out of action for 2 / 3 weeks.

Who should take his place?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate ( Thur 10th Jan)

Post by HarryofOz »

Welcome back EB
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:59 am Welcome back EB
Cheers Harry
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am Good Morning Everyone, and thank you for filling in for me during my absence. I'm back home now, and slowly on the mend.
If anyone fancies a turn posting up the BD every now and then, please let me know. It would be great to share!!!
Welcome back Matt

Thanks, a pleasure mate.....done my bit !
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am Could the fact that Lewis Baker was recalled by Chelsea, and subsequently sent out on loan to Reading be a blessing in disguise for Leeds?
It has to mean that Bielsa will need to replace the player, especially after unexpectedly losing Saiz over Christmas
You would like to think so hoping things are moving on behind the scenes, one gets the impression we're not prepared showing no urgency to the obvious problems within our squad
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am With the lack of minutes on the pitch (for the first team) Roberts has had, is he going to be good enough / sharp enough to fill Hernandez's void?
Are we talking square pegs in to round holes?
All down to not having enough options in our squad although I still think we should gave played Halme instead of KP as our 2nd CB whilst Cooper has been absent
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am Given the option, who would take a draw against Derby tomorrow night?
Yes I'd take a draw
Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am Douglas will be out of action for 2 / 3 weeks.
Who should take his place?
Tom Pearce
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Reading between the lines I have never felt it was a case of the board not backing Bielsa but more a case of him wanting really good players - to go straight into the first team - and a such it is a lot harder for the club to find those players that are also available and affordable. People go on about splashing the cash and taking the gamble but would a player coming to the club and earning 3 or 4 times as much as any other player really help team spirit - especially if they have a couple of bad games and fans/players start wondering if they are really trying.

Bielsa has got a tight knit squad of players that seem happy to be part of the club rather than thinking they are better than the rest of their team mates. We don't have players that would simply walk into any other team in the division but we have a collective unit that all works hard for each other and that has been why we are successful - one cog stops working and the machine can fall apart which is why it is better for Bielsa to throw a youngster in that understands his role rather than simply buy/loan someone.

All season we have had square pegs in round holes and for the main part it has worked. Yes at times we have missed certain players but that will always be the case but overall we haven't done too badly and the players will improve for it as they broaden their knowledge of the game.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am Reading between the lines I have never felt it was a case of the board not backing Bielsa but more a case of him wanting really good players - to go straight into the first team - and a such it is a lot harder for the club to find those players that are also available and affordable. People go on about splashing the cash and taking the gamble but would a player coming to the club and earning 3 or 4 times as much as any other player really help team spirit - especially if they have a couple of bad games and fans/players start wondering if they are really trying.

Bielsa has got a tight knit squad of players that seem happy to be part of the club rather than thinking they are better than the rest of their team mates. We don't have players that would simply walk into any other team in the division but we have a collective unit that all works hard for each other and that has been why we are successful - one cog stops working and the machine can fall apart which is why it is better for Bielsa to throw a youngster in that understands his role rather than simply buy/loan someone.

All season we have had square pegs in round holes and for the main part it has worked. Yes at times we have missed certain players but that will always be the case but overall we haven't done too badly and the players will improve for it as they broaden their knowledge of the game.
Is it the chicken or the egg though.

Is Bielsa sticking with the squad because he knows that the Board is unlikely to spend big so new signings would not add to the strength of the team or is the Board not signing players because they know that Bielsa is not interested in just adding depth.

I'm not sure that the players egos are so fragile that knowing others are earning more would dishearten them, it may even encourage them that they'll get more in the future.

Having said that, I think this squad of players can get us promoted - though I'd say we could do with a new keeper. I think the quality of our players is underestimated by some fans.

As they say you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear (not even in David Cameron's wildest fantasies :)) and you need both a good manager/coach and good players to be successful. Naturally a better coach will be more successful than a poor coach with the same players; and good players will be more successful than poorer players with the same coach - but no team is going to win regularly without quality on both sides of the equation.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 am Welcome back Matt

Thanks, a pleasure mate.....done my bit !

You would like to think so hoping things are moving on behind the scenes, one gets the impression we're not prepared showing no urgency to the obvious problems within our squad

All down to not having enough options in our squad although I still think we should gave played Halme instead of KP as our 2nd CB whilst Cooper has been absent

Yes I'd take a draw

Tom Pearce
Thanks buddy. Its good to be back
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am Reading between the lines I have never felt it was a case of the board not backing Bielsa but more a case of him wanting really good players - to go straight into the first team - and a such it is a lot harder for the club to find those players that are also available and affordable. People go on about splashing the cash and taking the gamble but would a player coming to the club and earning 3 or 4 times as much as any other player really help team spirit - especially if they have a couple of bad games and fans/players start wondering if they are really trying.

Morning Weasel,

I totally agree that about the board. They would definitely back him imo.

Bearing that in mind, I find it strange that Leeds have not attracted some top talent from either the Prem or continent.

Biela's pedigree speaks for itself. Why wouldn't the top Managers want one of their starlets under Bielsa's wing?

Secondly, why wouldn't Leeds be first choice in the Championship? We're top of the division, have one of the best coaches and are a big club.

Why aren't the decent players queuing up outside ER?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:20 am Morning Weasel,

Bearing that in mind, I find it strange that Leeds have not attracted some top talent from either the Prem or continent.

Biela's pedigree speaks for itself. Why wouldn't the top Managers want one of their starlets under Bielsa's wing?

Secondly, why wouldn't Leeds be first choice in the Championship? We're top of the division, have one of the best coaches and are a big club.

You have to wonder if that's down to our reputation unfortunately. When Bielsa was appointed, instead of being praised for the coup, we were laughed at and told he'd be sacked in October. Players probably didn't want to commit if they thought it would be short lived.

Yes I would take a draw tbh. I didn't feel that way two days ago, but we have no replacement for Pablo and will miss him.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:20 am Morning Weasel,

Maybe players are queuing up but Bielsa is shutting the door in their faces. Everything suggests MB prefers working with younger players, apart from Douglas all the players we brought in were young. I think he also likes the underdog, the player that hasn't quite made it, the Coopers, Aylings, Berardis etc that will give their all and MB prefers to build a team with those characteristics, players that will run non-stop for every second of the game, players that will be running into the positions MB wants them to be in even when the ball is 70 yards away. And just maybe he looked at all the young players in the academy, young players that have been playing in a similar way under Corboran and he saw the talent that was bursting through. If we'd bought another winger in the summer would Clarke have got his chance, if we'd bought a 3rd choice right back, or kept Coyle at the club, would Shackleton have come in and looked ready? Maybe Bielsa wants to have 'back up' at his disposal that are happily playing U23 football and waiting for their chance rather than just buying/loaning squad fillers that think U23 football is beneath them.
Eireleeds1
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @kevingaff

Post by Eireleeds1 »

Unfortunately that is effectively the board not backing Bielsa. Hes crying out for better than what we have and for whatever reason, whether no cash or lack of ambition, they havent been able to provide that to date. A large number of our better players have been around since Cellinos time
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Eireleeds1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:00 pm Unfortunately that is effectively the board not backing Bielsa. Hes crying out for better than what we have and for whatever reason, whether no cash or lack of ambition, they havent been able to provide that to date. A large number of our better players have been around since Cellinos time
Or like in the case of Zuber he didn't want to come. You may not have noticed we are top of the championship - as such we are after better players than players that have got us to the top of the championship. So straightaway that is going to mean foreign or premier league players.

Okay let's start with premier league and they have to be ones that aren't playing (otherwise their clubs wouldn't be selling/loaning) so that limits it to players not good enough to start or young players (with potential). As we have seen with Baker and Harrison young players with potential don't always live up to the hype - additionally these youngsters likely won't be match fit (certainly not to Bielsa standards anyway) and not really battle hardened if they have been simply playing U23 football all season.

So let's look abroad. Okay forget the top European League's top divisions - certainly they aren't likely to want to come over to the Championship - so we would be looking towards the likes of the dutch league or other similar standard leagues where we bought the likes of Grot, Cibicki and DeBock from and suddenly you realise that it is not that easy to get better players in than we have already got and that will be match fit and ready to play.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

How do we know Zuber didn't want to come, we didn't even bid for him. According to Phil Hay, we looked at him, but did nothing beyond that. Stuttgart are struggling near the foot of the table, so I wouldn't have thought it was a much better offer.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

It was widely reported Zuber didn't want to play in the championship. If our interest was genuine then likely we made enquiries, agreed a fee (be it transfer or loan) but then didn't officially table it as we were made aware that he wouldn't come.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

It was only an Irish journo on Twitter who writes about Bundesliga who said he didn't want Championship. Not sure if he personally asked him though.