Square Pegs In Round Holes

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Square Pegs In Round Holes

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:26 am The hysteria around this place after a few wins or losses is mind boggling, do people realize the teams we are playing are also semi decent and have a desire to win and get promoted, name 6 teams in the leauge you would swap manager and squad with, point is we are in the best place we have for a long time, I suggest enjoy it a bit more, but not too much, Phillips is not a English international standard player :zip:
We created our own mess yesterday

Wrong team selection, players playing out of their natural position was the root of all our problems

Back to basics Marcelo

Btw if Dallas can gain so many international caps, Phillips would walk into either Irish team

Anyway Kalvin is English & he's ours. Phillips for England :eng: :-D
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

A couple of wins and we're world beaters, draw and lose and suddenly last season's decline beckons! MB should not be immune from criticism and it is to his credit that he called out his own mistakes after yesterday's game. But he is, by some way, the best coach we've had in years and, if Radz is to be believed, we are ahead of where we should be right now (two years for promotion under MB, apparently). We always look like getting something in games this season, even with first team regulars missing. Folk need to calm down and let MB get on with it. We're 2 points off top whilst not playing well and dealing with key injuries/suspensions to a small squad. That's good enough for me, even if I do think he should have played Alioski at LB yesterday with Clarke in front of him. But, for all I know, maybe this has been tried in training and didn't work. In Marcelo I trust
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:26 pm A couple of wins and we're world beaters, draw and lose and suddenly last season's decline beckons! MB should not be immune from criticism and it is to his credit that he called out his own mistakes after yesterday's game. But he is, by some way, the best coach we've had in years and, if Radz is to be believed, we are ahead of where we should be right now (two years for promotion under MB, apparently). We always look like getting something in games this season, even with first team regulars missing. Folk need to calm down and let MB get on with it. We're 2 points off top whilst not playing well and dealing with key injuries/suspensions to a small squad. That's good enough for me, even if I do think he should have played Alioski at LB yesterday with Clarke in front of him. But, for all I know, maybe this has been tried in training and didn't work. In Marcelo I trust
Bielsa is a good decent man Nick & yes he is the best coach, not exempt from criticism though !

Has Marcelo admitted he selected the wrong team ?

As you say Klich nearly pulled out an equaliser had it not been for a fine save from the Rovers goalie

We are always going to lose games especially when only half of our team turn up

Two points divide the top four & we are still in the mix

I feel for the near 8,000 Leeds fans attending the game witnessing a poor show
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

On to next game chin up .Hoping our defensive game improves sufficiently to basicly defend set play and no more delaying on the ball out to midfield players who really are on their game. .... Just wonderin could Philips play for Ireland? Think he could have some o the blarney; surely. ;-) ;-) .
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:08 am I don't agree it's similar to last year at all. Last year whenever we conceded we folded, whereas we seem to play our best when we go behind and you feel there is always a goal in us. But for a magnificent save from Klich, we'd have taken a point yesterday. You also have to take into account we're two points off the top after a run of horrendous luck with injuries, a tough fixture list and a poor recent run. If we're not good, then what does that make the rest? Remember WBA, Blunts, Forest etc all lost yesterday as well.
Maybe the manner of the journey from point A to point B has been different this season but we are still at point B like we were last year and moving downwards. Like I said, I hope Bielsa can stop it and get us back on top.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:51 am First time I have been critical of Bielsa

To play his full-backs on the wrong flanks is ridiculous

Tom Pearce is a natural LB, what has he done wrong. Dallas is not a defender, not sure what he gives to the team tbh

Why play Roofe on the wing, proven last season he isn't a winger. He did what so many managers do when players come into a side such as Roberts who has done quite well but to accommodate him & put your main striker on the flank his crazy

Why did he not start Hernandez, get us on the front foot & take Pablo off in the 2nd half if he tired, to bring Pablo on for the last 20 minutes (the player we've missed so badly) is also a crazy decision

As I said last night his team selection was poor
Why revert to something that didnt work before, i dont get that.

Dallas at full back didnt work vs Brentford, Alioski was excellent, why not just keep going with what was successful?

Roofe out wide was odd, especially as Bielsa has watched us last season, Roofe is no winger.

Agree, should have just started Hernandez and Clarke with Ali at left back, logical.

Dont think its "hysterical" to criticise him, he isnt god, he makes mistake and fans have a right to criticise.

The good thing is unlike most of our previous managers i have faith Bielsa will recognise his mistakes.

Whether the notoriously stubborn and loyal Argie will correct them is another matter.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Newport white wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:11 am Who are we to question Beilsa? Yes I know we all are entitled to an opinion but we must keep the faith, unbelievably we are just 2 points of the top spot and if we can pick up 6 points in our home games this week we will be in a strong position, as I’ve said before if we can hang in there until Xmas when we should have Bamford and Brown fit plus if required one or two signings we can really go for it in the new year, let’s not forget the unusually high number of injuries to key players Beilsa has had to deal with up until now
We are still in a very good position (rather fortunately).

Bielsa has done a great job with what he has had available.

But when you play 4 players out of position by choice then you deserve criticism imo.

Not a huge amount yet, but fans have the right to be concerned with our form and selection for yesterday.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:08 am I don't agree it's similar to last year at all. Last year whenever we conceded we folded, whereas we seem to play our best when we go behind and you feel there is always a goal in us. But for a magnificent save from Klich, we'd have taken a point yesterday. You also have to take into account we're two points off the top after a run of horrendous luck with injuries, a tough fixture list and a poor recent run. If we're not good, then what does that make the rest? Remember WBA, Blunts, Forest etc all lost yesterday as well.
His selection yesterday was still wrong.

That was all i was getting at really and his loyalty and stubbornness which is a common theme throughout his career.

Very happy to have him and he has full support from me.

Doesnt mean he shouldn't be criticised though.

Its not the same as last season, i agree, performances are better, style hasnt changed etc

No need for hysterical panicking just yet.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:43 pm His selection yesterday was still wrong.

That was all i was getting at really and his loyalty and stubbornness which is a common theme throughout his career.

Very happy to have him and he has full support from me.

Doesnt mean he shouldn't be criticised though.

Its not the same as last season, i agree, performances are better, style hasnt changed etc

No need for hysterical panicking just yet.
Now for me Statement A contradicts Statement C.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:51 pm Now for me Statement A contradicts Statement C.
Nope.

Can be happy to have a manager and support them.

Dont have to have blind loyalty and agree with everything they do.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:37 pm Why revert to something that didnt work before, i dont get that.

Dallas at full back didnt work vs Brentford, Alioski was excellent, why not just keep going with what was successful?

Roofe out wide was odd, especially as Bielsa has watched us last season, Roofe is no winger.

Agree, should have just started Hernandez and Clarke with Ali at left back, logical.

Dont think its "hysterical" to criticise him, he isnt god, he makes mistake and fans have a right to criticise.

The good thing is unlike most of our previous managers i have faith Bielsa will recognise his mistakes.

Whether the notoriously stubborn and loyal Argie will correct them is another matter.
I'm still scratching my head why Marcelo took those decisions, as you say Cjay it has been proven many times previously that they don't work.

One thing we all have in common is we have faith in Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:39 pm But when you play 4 players out of position by choice then you deserve criticism imo.
One is bad enough but four is ridiculous, is it any wonder why we looked so unbalanced & much less fluent
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ask any Ipswich fan down here and they will tell you they are absolutely abysmal this season and are destined for the drop. Even when they beat Swansea they got absolutely battered for most of the game.
Therefore anything other than a good win on Wednesday will be a disaster.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:54 pm Nope.

Can be happy to have a manager and support them.

Dont have to have blind loyalty and agree with everything they do.
That's not what you've posted though
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:07 pm Ask any Ipswich fan down here and they will tell you they are absolutely abysmal this season and are destined for the drop. Even when they beat Swansea they got absolutely battered for most of the game.
Therefore anything other than a good win on Wednesday will be a disaster.
They were doomed once Mick McCarthy left them, he kept them mid-table for some many seasons
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:37 pm That's not what you've posted though
I have now :)

I am very pleased with what Bielsa has done.

But i am concerned by what he has been criticised for in the past, playing players out of position.

Just hope he learns from it.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:01 pm I'm still scratching my head why Marcelo took those decisions, as you say Cjay it has been proven many times previously that they don't work.

One thing we all have in common is we have faith in Bielsa
We have faith yes :)

But it would be naive to not recognise that playing players out of position unnecessarily has been a criticism of Bielsa at his previous clubs.

It concerns me.

Its just a concern atm but just hope it doesnt become a long term criticism.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bielsa likes players that can play multiple positions though and he then hopes experience trumps youthful exuberance, It's the way Liverpool played in their pomp. If we stick by MB I think we'll have a top team next season and one that could step up and keep it going without spending 80M on new players..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:04 pm One is bad enough but four is ridiculous, is it any wonder why we looked so unbalanced & much less fluent
I can understand it to a degree.

Would have been harsh to drop Roberts and Roofe was in great form pre injury.

But Hernandez should have started, probably couldn't play 90mins as Bielsa rightfully said.

But surely he could have managed 60?

Ipswich is a chance to put it right :)
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm Bielsa likes players that can play multiple positions though and he then hopes experience trumps youthful exuberance, It's the way Liverpool played in their pomp. If we stick by MB I think we'll have a top team next season and one that could step up and keep it going without spending 80M on new players..
True and i said when he arrived i was concerned that without top class players like Liverpool like Barcelona etc that his style wouldn't work long term and it was a possible reason for his lack of trophies.

Never been at a club with that level of depth and talent.

Some players just arent good enough to play multiple positions, especially at our level.

I have hope that Bielsa can get it right.

Only time will tell and he is certainly a huge improvement on his predecessors.
Signed

King Cjay