The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th Oct)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th Oct)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Radrizzani has called for the creation of a 'Premier League 2' to help Championship clubs receive more television revenue.

Leeds earned £7.5m in 2017, with Sky covering 19 LUFC games last term.

If you compare that to the club that finishes bottom of the Premiership, they are guaranteed to receive at least 92.5m more.

Six of Leeds' 12 league games this season have already been moved for TV coverage.

"We lose money and we are creating a show that is high-interest for everybody," said Radrizzani.

The Italian says clubs like Leeds being "watched by 500,000-600,000 people live on Sky" but only getting £2m-£2.5m from the league for having their games televised - the rest made up via the EFL - "actually penalises us".

"We're always on TV, maybe more than 20 times. It doesn't work," he added.

"I think the other chairmen would love to open a conversation," he said.

"The time is getting ready to consider what to do to move forward so we don't have a crisis every two years when a club go bankrupt or changes ownership every other year."

BTW, The Whites' clash against Reading on Tuesday 27th November will also be shown live on Sky Sports.

At a recent conference, Radrizzani claimed that there have been multiple offers to buy the club, but has turned them down.

He also claimed, that in total, he has ploughed 100m into the club since taking over; 20m on the purchase of Elland Road.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thur 11th Oct)

Post by 1964white »

Good morning Matt & everyone

Radz is bang on.

SKY have been taking the p*ss for far too long.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

what the hell is a premier league 2? isn't it just the championship....?
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Radz wants the perks of the premier league without even getting there IMO. Don't even know what he's on about.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

I agree with Radz (not with the PL2)( but Leeds (as shown here) have a decent following around the world so always appeal to SKY
but clubs like Burnley would earn more from say 2 games than we would in 10 even though audience figures are greater for Leeds
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Sky have their schedules, and on a whim they can say your fixture list does not
fit in with our broadcasting plans. We have a slot that needs filling on Wednesday
night at 9:00.

Yes but no but yes but he have booked transport and made flight arrangements
according to the original fixture list, what are we going to do now???

Suck it up, that's what.

Think of any other other visual medium, Netflix, Amazom, Google play, there is one
price for delivery and so it is with football, it is no more expensive to deliver a premiership
game than a championship game, so would it not be reasonable to pay the performers
a similar wage for the games they play.

As it stands the championship clubs are classed as second class citizens and not worth
paying similar wages as premiership clubs, yet the Brentford game for my money provided
more entertainment than many premiership games.

It wall comes down to equal pay for similar jobs, and at the moment there is a great disparity
exists, and Championship clubs are fed scraps that fall from the Sky table, while premiership
clubs are stuffing their faces.

Don't seem right.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Good morning EB1 and everyone,

I think what Radz is getting at is that you can finish bottom of the Premier League and walk away with 100 million in parachute payments whereas a 'big draw' team in the Championship such as us is being penalized for being on Sky so often. If the figures he quotes are correct then you can see his point.
I'm not sure he will get anywhere to be honest but it may gather some momentum if the chairmen of other clubs come out in support of his proposal.
The Premier League and Sky together is a powerful combination and they are sure to resist change unless they initiate it themselves.

I'd like to see a breakdown of where the 100 million has been spent since Radz took over.
I am glad that he turned down offers for the club though. More than anything we need a period of stability from those that run the club.
It was nice to see Radz and Orta celebrating Pontus's goal the way they did on Saturday, although it almost cost Radz a new pair of glasses!
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

danhirons wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 am what the hell is a premier league 2? isn't it just the championship....?
I think it’s more the commercial aspect of a second tier PL that is free to negotiate its own TV deals away from the other league clubs. Interesting bit on Talksport with who had Simon Jordan on Talksport as this was talked about years ago apparently. Interesting point he made was the biggest hold the Football League have over the PL is the promotion / relegation aspect, there is no guarantee that this has to happen between the two bodies but it is obviously what gives both leagues much of their interest. If this could be retained within the PL brand rather than needing to negotiate with the FA that could be attractive to them. Obviously there is the matter of teams in / out of PL2 but that would be of much less interest to the wider public so not the same bargaining position I would think.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Radz is right by the way, what we get out of the TV deal compared to what we contribute is totally out of kilter to the money that 3/4 of the PL get against the value they add.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:40 am I think it’s more the commercial aspect of a second tier PL that is free to negotiate its own TV deals away from the other league clubs. Interesting bit on Talksport with who had Simon Jordan on Talksport as this was talked about years ago apparently. Interesting point he made was the biggest hold the Football League have over the PL is the promotion / relegation aspect, there is no guarantee that this has to happen between the two bodies but it is obviously what gives both leagues much of their interest. If this could be retained within the PL brand rather than needing to negotiate with the FA that could be attractive to them. Obviously there is the matter of teams in / out of PL2 but that would be of much less interest to the wider public so not the same bargaining position I would think.
So basically he wants the championship but with individual TV rights negotiations for each team. The problem with this is that it greatly prejudices against the smaller teams and you end up with a league like la Liga when barca and Real get way more than all of the other teams. Great for us but awful for teams like preston who have a much smaller following.

To be honest, I just think radz is jealous. The system is what it is and is never going to be perfect for all teams. Right now I think it works because it makes the championship so exciting at the top of the table because of the money at stake that comes with promotion. If you evened the money out teams would be a lot more content with relegation or not gaining promotion.

Radz is greedy for TV income and it shows with Leeds not joining the football league ifollow program which allows us people living abroad to stream the games for a set monthly price. Instead Leeds runs its own crap service and charges about double per game. That's radz just taking advantage of the fans and so I refuse to do it.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

The EFL has hit back at Radz by saying

“The income received is only set to increase with the latest broadcast agreement (which)
represents a 36-per-cent year-on-year increase on the previous arrangement,
while also providing EFL clubs with greater flexibility to generate additional incomes
through the provision of domestic and international streaming platforms."

I wonder if Radz has some bigger fish to fry and it may be that he is angling for his own
company Eleven Sports to take over since they have already won the rights for a golf Major and for the UFC.
Perhaps he thinks his company could change the way sport is viewed around the globe.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

danhirons wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:03 am So basically he wants the championship but with individual TV rights negotiations for each team. The problem with this is that it greatly prejudices against the smaller teams and you end up with a league like la Liga when barca and Real get way more than all of the other teams. Great for us but awful for teams like preston who have a much smaller following.

To be honest, I just think radz is jealous. The system is what it is and is never going to be perfect for all teams. Right now I think it works because it makes the championship so exciting at the top of the table because of the money at stake that comes with promotion. If you evened the money out teams would be a lot more content with relegation or not gaining promotion.

Radz is greedy for TV income and it shows with Leeds not joining the football league ifollow program which allows us people living abroad to stream the games for a set monthly price. Instead Leeds runs its own crap service and charges about double per game. That's radz just taking advantage of the fans and so I refuse to do it.
Not sure it would be individual teams negotiating but the whole second tier collectively is what was discussed, just as the PL does now. I assume for the smaller clubs in the second tier it would then be much akin to Brighton for example being much better off because of the PL deal because Liverpool are part of the package.

I just think the step between what the lower PL teams receive and the big clubs in the FL receive and their true commercial worth are not reflected in the current financial structure. When us v Villa is on TV this season for example that fixture will have far more commercial pull than a Bournemouth v Burnley PL fixture but will receive a fraction of the £ due to commercial deals currently in place. Not sure what the impact will be further down the food chain as you take out the draw of the big names from any TV deal they could do......?
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:23 am The EFL has hit back at Radz by saying

“The income received is only set to increase with the latest broadcast agreement (which)
represents a 36-per-cent year-on-year increase on the previous arrangement,
while also providing EFL clubs with greater flexibility to generate additional incomes
through the provision of domestic and international streaming platforms."

I wonder if Radz has some bigger fish to fry and it may be that he is angling for his own
company Eleven Sports to take over since they have already won the rights for a golf Major and for the UFC.
Perhaps he thinks his company could change the way sport is viewed around the globe.
We received £7.5m as part of our TV deal from the FA last year (according to Talksport this morning, I haven’t checked this any further) even a 36% increase, roughly 1/3, means we get an extra £2.5m, still a pi55 in the ocean compared to the £120m that PL clubs will be getting.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 pm Not sure it would be individual teams negotiating but the whole second tier collectively is what was discussed, just as the PL does now. I assume for the smaller clubs in the second tier it would then be much akin to Brighton for example being much better off because of the PL deal because Liverpool are part of the package.

I just think the step between what the lower PL teams receive and the big clubs in the FL receive and their true commercial worth are not reflected in the current financial structure. When us v Villa is on TV this season for example that fixture will have far more commercial pull than a Bournemouth v Burnley PL fixture but will receive a fraction of the £ due to commercial deals currently in place. Not sure what the impact will be further down the food chain as you take out the draw of the big names from any TV deal they could do......?
But that's exactly it.

Bournemouth and Brighton benefit from being in a league with Liverpool etc.

Just like now in the championship Rotherham etc benefit from being in the same league as Leeds.

I'm sure Sunderland v any team in league one draws more than Rotherham v preston but would get less TV money.

I think the thing is, the few top teams in the championship draw decent viewing figures but the majority of teams just don't. And so evening it all out means the championship gets a lot less money. You can imagine the difference in viewing figures for Leeds v villa and man city v man u for example.

The financial difference between the two leagues is crazy, but then so is the standard of the players.

Noone is going to pay that much for the championship, it's as simple as that.

Doesn't the efl negotiate the championship TV rights so it is effectively the championship negotiating already on their own? I still don't really understand how a premier league 2 would work...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Watched i think it was EFL Matters, there was a child on (Wigan Chairmen) David Sharpe.

He said that without parachute payments those relegated from the Premiership wouldnt cope because of the huge contracts and such, it isnt sustainable without some help.

Fair enough.

But nobody who comes down uses those payments to sustain, they pish tons of it away for 2 years in an attempt to get back up, then end up in the brown stuff, Villa, Birmingham etc. Its not being used for its primary puropse, and makes the Championship totally unfair.

I do agree with Radz also about the TV money, if we are on most, we deserve most of the money, same as the clubs in the prem, thats how it works isnt it there.

It may not be entirely fair, but lots of things arent fair, and we deserve what we are owed, we give Sky there biggest viewing figures, we are on all the time, so why shouldnt we get most of the money?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:26 pm Watched i think it was EFL Matters, there was a child on (Wigan Chairmen) David Sharpe.

He said that without parachute payments those relegated from the Premiership wouldnt cope because of the huge contracts and such, it isnt sustainable without some help.

Fair enough.

But nobody who comes down uses those payments to sustain, they pish tons of it away for 2 years in an attempt to get back up, then end up in the brown stuff, Villa, Birmingham etc. Its not being used for its primary puropse, and makes the Championship totally unfair.

I do agree with Radz also about the TV money, if we are on most, we deserve most of the money, same as the clubs in the prem, thats how it works isnt it there.

It may not be entirely fair, but lots of things arent fair, and we deserve what we are owed, we give Sky there biggest viewing figures, we are on all the time, so why shouldnt we get most of the money?
We do get more money we're paid per game. It's just a really small amount.

Like in the prem, it's mainly based on league position how much money you get not how many times you're on TV.

It's basically like the league own and sell the rights and then dish out the TV money based mainly on where you finish in the league as merit money, as opposed to just handing out a million quid each time a team is on TV.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm We do get more money we're paid per game. It's just a really small amount.

Like in the prem, it's mainly based on league position how much money you get not how many times you're on TV.

It's basically like the league own and sell the rights and then dish out the TV money based mainly on where you finish in the league as merit money, as opposed to just handing out a million quid each time a team is on TV.
Oh i see.

So what does Radz want then? a larger TV deal negotiated?

More money based on tv apps?

I havent really read what he said tbh.
Signed

King Cjay

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Afternoon Everyone. :celeb: :clapp: :clapp: :clapp:
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:54 pm Oh i see.

So what does Radz want then? a larger TV deal negotiated?

More money based on tv apps?

I havent really read what he said tbh.
I'm not too sure either!

I think a break away league, like an alternative premier league perhaps where teams don't get the parachute payments from the premier league and its like a standalone league I guess, not sure how it would work with the other leagues. It basically seems to me to make no sense and him just trying to ask for something that would boost Leeds TV revenue massively which is obviously good for Leeds but I'd rather he just focus on getting us in the premier league!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:59 pm I'm not too sure either!

I think a break away league, like an alternative premier league perhaps where teams don't get the parachute payments from the premier league and its like a standalone league I guess, not sure how it would work with the other leagues. It basically seems to me to make no sense and him just trying to ask for something that would boost Leeds TV revenue massively which is obviously good for Leeds but I'd rather he just focus on getting us in the premier league!
Yeah it just seems that.
A) the TV deal is to small with the EFL clubs getting a tiny amount of money compared to Premier league.

B) clubs like us who are on tele a lot dont get that much money.

He is right, and parachute money is ridiculous for rewarding failure.

But just get promoted.

Simple enough.
Signed

King Cjay