The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 19th Sept)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wed 19th Sept)

Post by lufc1304 »

Afternoon Matt,

Great to get 3 points after a run of creditable draws, and a good performance to boot (though it does have to be said that Preston were poor). Could easily have been 6 but for some wayward finishing. Delighted for Roberts to get his goals, showed a great touch for the first one. Hopefully he can go on a run of scoring now that he's broken his duck. Harrison looked talented from when he came into the team, but probably needed time to adjust to the faster pace of the championship having come from the MLS. Very good young player, but he's not up to Pablo's standard yet. That said, I think Pablo mightn't get straight back in, seems Bielsa will only change if a change is forced on him through injury or a loss of form.

The boo boys are morons. Alioski can be frustrating, but there's no doubting his work ethic. As someone else said, he needs to trust his own pace more, doesn't need to go quite as soon as he often does.

This Leeds team shouldn't fear anyone, but I agree with those who have identified West Brom and Brentford as likely challengers. Villa will probably be in the mix too, though they are very inconsistent at present.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:07 am Roberts was great last night and the first finish particularly was very smart. Looked like a weight lifted when the first goal went in.

Thought all in all it was good performance with great intensity. Slipped off a bit in the middle of the second half but Preston never really looked like scoring (other than the disallowed goal). I think a lot of teams are going to struggle with our pace and intensity this season along with the incisiveness of our passing. The ball to Klich in the first half really stood out.

I feel for Alioski as the endeavour is there, you cannot fault his effort as it is immense just somethings aren't coming off for him. He needs to realise he has the pace over most championship defenders so doesn't need to stray offside. The offside call last night however looked very marginal.

No sides i fear in the league as i don't think any side holds a candle to us at the moment. Agree West Brom look good, but their defence is shocking. Only side to score more goals than us this year yet their goal difference is half of ours.

I think we got this.
Afternoon HB, Many thought the three that went down would go straight back up, but that is not going to be the case. In fact they are discovering why the Championship is the most difficult league in the World to get out of (even though Barnsley and Rotherham have made it look easy) :lol:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:20 am Really pleased for Roberts, those goals will give him such confidence.

Nope, every Leeds teams has a scapegoat, Ali is this seasons, yet on another day he has a few goals to his name and those same people would be kissing his butt.

He is getting better and better Jack Harrison, starting to see what Manchester City saw in him.

Birmingham, they have been playing well just cant score, watch them find there scoring boots Saturday.
Afternoon Cjay, I was wondering why Harrison had a 10m valuation three weeks ago. Now I'm expecting inflation to take its course.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:02 am Completely agree :tup: :tup:
Afternoon RC
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

From what I have seen I would go with that combo 64 and still Alioski on the bench. He is basically the weak link in yesterdays side and that is a compliment to all
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:04 pm It's not about boo boys, the fact of the matter is Alioski's performances haven't been up to the standard of the improvement the likes of Saiz, Phillips, Cooper, Roofe & Klich have shown in their game. No doubt Alioski has been better this season but he's still showing signs of inconsistency when he should be thriving in Bielsa's style of football.

Last night he was caught offside a few times as he has been far too often this season, as I posted the other day he needs to be a bit more clever. Also lost the ball far too easily at times!

It wouldn't surprise me when Pablo is fit & ready to return it could be at the expense of Alioski with Harrison keeping his place in the first XI who is improving with every game
I agree '64
Alioski's place is most under threat now.
It may even happen before the return of Pablo. MB may decide to bring Forshaw back in once he's fully match fit and move Harrison or Saiz into a more advanced role with Douglas asked to play slightly more advanced on the left.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

rab_rant wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:51 am I was so pleased are the glowing appraisal Bielsa gave Cooper, with regards how he was
a good person and had qualities that he wished the rest of the team would emulate.
Cooper has been steadfast this season, much more resolute and disciplined.
Last year he was reckless and was served up red cards. Bielsa seems to have changed that,
so the rashness has disappeared from his game, and he is putting in long range cross field
passes on a par with Kalvin Phillips. I think that Bielsa's endorsement of him has silenced
the boo boys.

Perhaps Bielsa needs to give words of encouragement to Alioski. His work rate can not be faulted
and he also has an eye for goal. The two areas he needs to work on is disciple where he commits fouls
and avoiding the offside trap. It would seem that Bielsa's word is the law, when he singles out a player
the remarks he makes are usually totally unexpected and completely in opposition to what the boo
boys on the terraces are thinking. His words are sharper than a two edged sword dividing asunder
the soul and spirit, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart :) :-D :roflmao:

Bielsa by this training has transformed the Leeds team, but the bigger task for him is to use his
words to change the attitude of the fans on the terraces so that they will cheer instead of boo,
and that may be the more difficult task.
Afternoon Rab, I must admit, Alioski's shooting is extremely good. I know the whistle had gone but the way the Macedonian rounded the keeper and smashed the ball in the back of the net was effortless last night.

Last season Cooper was frustrated. We can see what he can do, so he must have been aware he had a couple of gears he could go up but wasn't able to change gears. This led him to become reckless.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:04 pm It's not about boo boys, the fact of the matter is Alioski's performances haven't been up to the standard of the improvement the likes of Saiz, Phillips, Cooper, Roofe & Klich have shown in their game. No doubt Alioski has been better this season but he's still showing signs of inconsistency when he should be thriving in Bielsa's style of football.

Last night he was caught offside a few times as he has been far too often this season, as I posted the other day he needs to be a bit more clever. Also lost the ball far too easily at times!

It wouldn't surprise me when Pablo is fit & ready to return it could be at the expense of Alioski with Harrison keeping his place in the first XI who is improving with every game
Leon, have Klich's performances last couple of games been up to scratch?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

lufc1304 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:04 pm Afternoon Matt,

Great to get 3 points after a run of creditable draws, and a good performance to boot (though it does have to be said that Preston were poor). Could easily have been 6 but for some wayward finishing. Delighted for Roberts to get his goals, showed a great touch for the first one. Hopefully he can go on a run of scoring now that he's broken his duck. Harrison looked talented from when he came into the team, but probably needed time to adjust to the faster pace of the championship having come from the MLS. Very good young player, but he's not up to Pablo's standard yet. That said, I think Pablo mightn't get straight back in, seems Bielsa will only change if a change is forced on him through injury or a loss of form.

The boo boys are morons. Alioski can be frustrating, but there's no doubting his work ethic. As someone else said, he needs to trust his own pace more, doesn't need to go quite as soon as he often does.

This Leeds team shouldn't fear anyone, but I agree with those who have identified West Brom and Brentford as likely challengers. Villa will probably be in the mix too, though they are very inconsistent at present.
Afternoon 1304, I have noticed that Klich's performance has dipped a little in the last couple of games.

With Harrison on form like he is, let Hernandez take a well deserved break.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Klich for me ran the mid on Saturday and was his usual dangerous self Tuesday getting into scoring positions at will....I don't think his form has dipped other than a little fatigue from international games.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:00 pm Afternoon Chilli D. Alioski should have to wear a special vest, that if you do something wrong i.e stray offside, you receive an electric shock administered by remotely by remote control. I'm sure Leon would do the honours... :-D
Not at all Matt, I want Ali to do well on a consistent basis.

My criticism is totally valid

He hasn't improved as much as last seasons improvers
Moves often break down when the ball is played to Ali
He is caught offside far too many times
Falls over at will with little contact
For a winger he doesn't seem to beat a full-back, often chooses the wrong option

Ali does work hard but I expect a bit more than effort from a supposedly flair player, maybe I'm being somewhat harsh but I'm only going on what I see over 90 minutes every week.

Btw my views are in the majority with the 80 plus fans I travel with to games so I'm not the only one, some are far more critical than I am with their opinion believe it or not ;-)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:38 pm Klich for me ran the mid on Saturday and was his usual dangerous self Tuesday getting into scoring positions at will....I don't think his form has dipped other than a little fatigue from international games.
Klich is a special player, some of his play was sublime last night, such a shame he missed two glorious one-on-ones. I expect him to have his shooting boots back on come Saturday v Brum
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:25 pm Afternoon 1304, I have noticed that Klich's performance has dipped a little in the last couple of games
Untrue Matt
Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:25 pm With Harrison on form like he is, let Hernandez take a well deserved break.
Our classiest player will be back in the team when fit hopefully with Harrison retaining his place on the other flank
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:20 am Nope, every Leeds teams has a scapegoat, Ali is this seasons, yet on another day he has a few goals to his name and those same people would be kissing his butt.
No Ali isn't a scapegoat Cjay.

I've credited Ali when he plays well, I've given him a couple of 8/10 ratings this season. Sadly he was poor at Millwall & the least effective player on the pitch v PNE, two teams in the bottom five.
I gave him 6/10 which isn't a bad rating but he was nowhere near our high achieving performers last night. Alioski should be lapping up Bielsa's attacking style of football
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm Not at all Matt, I want Ali to do well on a consistent basis.

My criticism is totally valid

He hasn't improved as much as last seasons improvers
For a winger he doesn't seem to beat a full-back, often chooses the wrong option

Ali does work hard but I expect a bit more than effort from a supposedly flair player, maybe I'm being somewhat harsh but I'm only going on what I see over 90 minutes every week.

Btw my views are in the majority with the 80 plus fans I travel with to games so I'm not the only one, some are far more critical than I am with their opinion believe it or not ;-)
Now i shall defend :)
And yet Samu Saiz and Kemar Roofe are ahead of him for bad touches per game, and Pablo Hernandez is the same as Ali, and Samu Saiz is dispossed far more then Ali, nearly twice more per game in fact And if you include the header that hit the post which Klich scored from only Kemar Roofe has been directly involved in more goals, Mateusz Klich, Pablo Hernandez and Alioski would have 5 each.

This i would agree with, but does Bielsa tell him to play on the shoulder? if so yes ALi should be more careful but it isnt entirely his fault. If you play on the shoulder you will get caught offside.

No, i dont think he does.

He can beat full backs, we saw that last year on the right, i think this season he has been told to get the ball in early to counter for our lack of height in the box, less time for the opponent to set.

He is also one of our best tacklers, think how we would be if ALi didnt track back as much as he does.

Key passes, only Pablo, Saiz and Douglas have more.

Also dont think peop[le appreciate the little things he does.

Jack Harrisons goal vs Millwall, ALi blocked off stopping the defender from covering, the through ball to Roberts, should have scored, there would have been another assist.
Vs Norwich, cross into the box the run from ALi took the defender away from Saiz, Saiz should score,

Ali constantly does work that nobody notices, stretches the play, [pulls players out of position, makes excellent runs, the 2nd klich chance, who was alongside him, ALi, the Roberts goal number 1, who was in the box totally free, Ali, the Roberts goal number 2, who was right next to Roberts, Ali.

100% if ALioski doesnt play we would noticed, and it wouldnt be for good reasons.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

agreed, I wouldn't drop him either..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm Now i shall defend :)
And yet Samu Saiz and Kemar Roofe are ahead of him for bad touches per game, and Pablo Hernandez is the same as Ali, and Samu Saiz is dispossed far more then Ali, nearly twice more per game in fact And if you include the header that hit the post which Klich scored from only Kemar Roofe has been directly involved in more goals, Mateusz Klich, Pablo Hernandez and Alioski would have 5 each
Saiz is dispossessed more than Ali because he is on the ball much more taking on & dribbling pass defenders/midfielders throughout the game
Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm He is caught offside far too many times
This i would agree with, but does Bielsa tell him to play on the shoulder? if so yes ALi should be more careful but it isnt entirely his fault. If you play on the shoulder you will get caught offside
That might be the case Cjay, he needs to watch some Jermaine Beckford dvd's who instinctively knew how to sit on a defenders shoulder
Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm
No, i don't think he does
Yes he does although he wins us a few free-kicks when he goes down
Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm For a winger he doesn't seem to beat a full-back, often chooses the wrong option
He can beat full backs, we saw that last year on the right, i think this season he has been told to get the ball in early to counter for our lack of height in the box, less time for the opponent to set
I haven't seen him skinning full-backs this season, maybe that's not his game
Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm He is also one of our best tacklers, think how we would be if ALi didnt track back as much as he does
Can't fault him for his effort & tracking back, he certainly helps Douglas on that score
Cjay wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm 100% if ALioski doesnt play we would noticed, and it wouldnt be for good reasons.
Right now Bielsa has faith in Alioski, if MB has a change of heart in that position we'll soon see if we miss him or not

Btw I've kept selecting Alioski in my team on the match day thread every game so far
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:14 pm Afternoon RC
Evening Ellandback
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:33 pm Untrue Matt

Our classiest player will be back in the team when fit hopefully with Harrison retaining his place on the other flank
:tup: :tup: :tup: