Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant

Re: Millwall v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by rab_rant »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:40 pm I'll stand behind what I said earlier. Pontus way too slow and needs three touches when on the ball,
Everybody expects CB's to go at things wham bang thank you mam.
Hoof the ball clear, head the ball clear, tackle hard, so we are shocked to
see a CB actually dribble with the ball, it is just something that they do not do.
We get agitated when they do things that are not expected of them.
We call it showboating, and if it does not come off we are there to
wag the finger and lay the blame. Yesterday I thought PJ was going to get caught
in the corner with his one touch too many, but no he passed it to Ayling
and the threat was averted.

We slight a player when we think he is not doing his job, PJ after all used to play
as a CF... perhaps we need to play him up front while Roofe is injured.

Oh an to say Roofe would have buried the goals that Roberts missed presupposes
that Roofe would have made the same runs and moves as Roberts and would
have been in the same position to receive the ball... all of which is highly unlikely
Bielsa himself said the boy done good to be in the position to have a goal scoring
opportunity.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:14 pm Think Pontus showed why he's not getting picked over Bera. Did the defensive side well, but he's just not as confident playing out from the back. Hopefully having a run of competitive games will help that though. He's certainly not a step down from Bera really, just fills a different role.
Pontus coasted the game at Norwich & we won 3-0.

The difference yesterday was Millwall pressed us from the front not allowing us time on the ball. Ayling, Jansson, Phillips & Cooper all got caught on the ball, Peacock-Farrell's distribution was really poor as he was also under the same pressure, truth is Wall didn't allow us to play from the back as much as we'd like to.
Without our two big CB's at the back we'd have lost that game, defiant defending from both, sometimes circumstances dictate the way we play, unfortunately the pretty stuff gave way for a nitty-gritty performance.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:38 pm Everybody expects CB's to go at things wham bang thank you mam.
Hoof the ball clear, head the ball clear, tackle hard, so we are shocked to
see a CB actually dribble with the ball, it is just something that they do not do.
We get agitated when they do things that are not expected of them.
We call it showboating, and if it does not come off we are there to
wag the finger and lay the blame. Yesterday I thought PJ was going to get caught
in the corner with his one touch too many, but no he passed it to Ayling
and the threat was averted.
We slight a player when we think he is not doing his job, PJ after all used to play
as a CF... perhaps we need to play him up front while Roofe is injured.
Yes Pontus showed his class tight in the corner laying it off Ayling

I can't believe the criticism Jansson is receiving from fans who were watching a very dodgy stream that kept cutting out for much of the game apparently. One mistake & they are all latching onto it where our game was littered with errors all over the park.
No criticism for our one trick pony out on the wing I see who did virtually nothing. Lets pick on a player who made 17 clearances against a rough & tumble team who bombard a defence at every given moment, even their throw-ins are lumped in like corners. Jansson & Cooper were immense under severe pressure whilst others around them were below par. Only Saiz was on the level as our CB pair.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:49 am Player ratings... Discuss!!!
Sorry Oscar I almost stopped watching when you gave Jansson 5/10, you're having a laugh mate

See a respected Leeds United journalist Phil Hay's rating

Screenshot 2018-09-16 at 16.14.36.png
Screenshot 2018-09-16 at 16.14.36.png (195.74 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:58 pm Yes Pontus showed his class tight in the corner laying it off Ayling

I can't believe the criticism Jansson is receiving from fans who were watching a very dodgy stream that kept cutting out for much of the game apparently. One mistake & they are all latching onto it where our game was littered with errors all over the park.
No criticism for our one trick pony out on the wing I see who did virtually nothing. Lets pick on a player who made 17 clearances against a rough & tumble team who bombard a defence at every given moment, even their throw-ins are lumped in like corners. Jansson & Cooper were immense under severe pressure whilst others around them were below par. Only Saiz was on the level as our CB pair.
I'm talking about his ability in the system MB wants to use, he'd take 3/4/5 touches where others would take maybe 2 at most..Slow wasn't in reference to his pace but rather the time he needs on the ball to find and identify his options..He absolutely is our number 3 CB IN THIS SYSTEM and Beradi was a big loss yesterday imo.

I love PJ, great defender in a 442, 451 where he can make intercepts/tackles then boot the ball clear or out. MB prefers Beradi there's no doubt about that, he's started every game over PJ up to the injury. PJ now gets his chance but he's going to have to improve his passing and vision. He got caught up the field too and lost possession ..

Goals are conceded a lot earlier than the final touch, they usually come from an error or mis-position earlier in the move..

BTW Klich got slated, dropped/ignored then shipped out on just one slip (literally a slip) in a cup game. So one mistake can make a difference
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:16 pm Sorry Oscar I almost stopped watching when you gave Jansson 5/10, you're having a laugh mate

See a respected Leeds United journalist Phil Hay's rating

Screenshot 2018-09-16 at 16.14.36.png
Oscar absolutely knows what he's talking about .... even when I disagree with him I have to respect him. He's also usually at the game.

I've said before I've walked out of football grounds having watched a different game to others..where you view matters not, you even get a different perspective from behind the goal than from the side..I remember my first game in 77 from half way up behind the goal at Portman road ..I had no clue what was happening once the ball crossed the half way line. Took me 20 minutes to find out who scored and even then it was a guess from most around me ..Eddie Gray btw
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

Goals are conceded a lot earlier than the final touch, they usually come from an error or mis-position earlier in the move..

BTW Klich got slated, dropped/ignored then shipped out on just one slip (literally a slip) in a cup game. So one mistake can make a difference
Think it was against Cardiff in the league, but I agree about the very unfair consequences of ONE slip - he subsequently bossed the Burnley cup game and was still ignored and, as you said, shipped out. I'm just glad he's had no adverse reaction against the club - indeed he seems delighted he's doing so well.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bielsa stated that he employed Klich more in a defensive role and
admitted that that is not his best role since he should be playing further
up the field in support of Saiz.

So wouldn't it have made more sense to bring Forshaw in to replace
KP and let Klich get forward?

We have seen before that Bielsa will sub Klich after 60-70 minute, and it
may have been that he was feeling the toll of his exertions on International duty.

Baker came on and tried to do the link up play with Saiz and Forshaw stood in for KP
I have seen some criticism of Bielsa's subs but what I observe is that he has two players
for every position and when he makes a sub it will be like for like, because the philosophy
is to stick to Plan A regardless. There is no Plan B,

Win Lose or draw the system stays the same, the manager believes that is the best way
and both the fans and the players have to buy into that philosophy. It is rather radical.
Newport white
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Newport white »

4 players missing and come away with a point at a tough place, same at Swansea, guarantee we would have lost them last season, remember the squad is still adapting to Beilsa tactics, very encouraging start in my view and with the players back plus the younger lads pushing to start things are better than they have been for years including Monks season,
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:37 pm Oscar absolutely knows what he's talking about .... even when I disagree with him I have to respect him. He's also usually at the game.
I respect Oscar & your views but I'm not having 5/10 for Pontus as he & Cooper were our most worked & solid players on the pitch. You only have read fans views on waccoe who were at the game.

On another site i go on Saiz has received 13 MOTM votes, Harrison 12 & Pontus 11 with no other player close. Jansson got a big chunk of MOTM votes on our coach after Cooper & Saiz.
Phil Hay the Leeds United correspondent gave PJ a 8 so 5/10 for a defender who made 17 clearances plus 6 tackles is a ridiculously low mark.

I had a great overall view row Q in the upper tier, hate being low down watching football at pitch-level