The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 14th Sept)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 14th Sept)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Phil Hay has told Leeds fans that he does not expect Bielsa to sign any free agents.

Jerry Mbakogu, Lacina Traore, Darren Bent and Robbie Keane have all been mentioned on social media as being a possible solution to our striker problem.

According to Hay, Bielsa believes he doesn't need any other players, yet just a fortnight ago the gaffer dropped Roberts (currently our only fit striker) to the U23's.

Is he going to introduce Jack Clarke or Ryan Edmondson?

Clarke in particular has been on fire for the U23's this season but bearing in mind the hostile nature of the crowd and the scrappy temperament of their players it may not be the ideal baptism of fire for the 17 year old.

You expect players to get injured, but surely six games in, Leeds have had more than their fair share.

Currently sidelined are (These are the up to date expected times the players will be out of action for):-

Jamie Shackleton (ankle) 2 weeks

Patrick Bamford knee) 4 months

Gaetano Berardi knee 3weeks

Kemar Roofe calf 3 weeks

Pablo Hernandez 5 weeks

Lets also remember that Jansson, Cooper and Dallas have already picked up injuries this season.

Bad luck or something else?

What is more important to you - club or Country?

Have you always felt that way?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 14th Sept)

Post by The Subhuman »

Club, yes
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good morning Matt & everyone

A ridiculous amount of injuries that's why a club requires a sizeable amount experienced back-up players that can handle the pressures of championship football

Clarke who is one of our own looks a more talented player than Harrison, the scenario is can he sustain the his great form at championship level?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Edmondson introduced as he is a massive unit who could probably handle himself v a team like Millwall

CLUB every time for me
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bielsa has shipped out 17 players either sold or on loan, and explicitly states he want to
concentrate on managing a small squad. He considers 2 players for each position sufficient.
Bamford to cover for Roofe... oops... injuries or suspensions will certainly throw a spanner
in the works.

No doubt management will be thinking that free agents is the way to solve this problem,
However as Sun Tzu says the general who commands the army with no interference
from the sovereign will win.

Bielsa's methods flies in the face of convention... with method in his madness... a wisdom
even that alludes normal football pundits. Perhaps he believes that it the Spirit of the team
would be undermined by bringing in reinforcements from outside... a sort of a vote of
no confidence in the players he has trained to fit into his system.

Injuries are only opportunities for new players to excel. All injuries will pass, all suspensions
will pass. The system remains the same regardless. No change no matter who the players are.
Steadfast commitment to the players available and to the strategy.
herefordbornleedsboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by herefordbornleedsboy »

Has to be bad luck at this stage, especially to have two players from one position out at one time. Injuries to me don't seem consistent with being overworked but I could be wrong.

The club vs country row depends on the sport.

Football I am definitely a club man.

Egg chasing and cricket I am country.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 amClub, yes
Morning Faaip,

I think with most people its club, but I also think they has been a massive shift from 20 -30 years ago when I believe people used to put Country before club.

I could be wrong...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:37 am Good morning Matt & everyone

A ridiculous amount of injuries that's why a club requires a sizeable amount experienced back-up players that can handle the pressures of championship football

Clarke who is one of our own looks a more talented player than Harrison, the scenario is can he sustain the his great form at championship level?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Edmondson introduced as he is a massive unit who could probably handle himself v a team like Millwall

CLUB every time for me
Morning Leon, good point you make about Edmondson, though its important for the fans to remember he is still a youngster regardless of his frame.

The same could be said about Grot. Hard to imagine that he was a teenager when he was playing for us last season...
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I’d like to see Edmondson in the bench then given at least 15mins to give him a chance to knock a few Scumwall players about

I was always Country first but in the last 10+ years it’s definitely more club than country
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:37 am

I agree '64. Edmondson is young but a beast of a lad physique wise and much better suited to this game.
I think Clarke should definitely be on the bench and if we're losing with 20 minutes to go, given a run. His pace and skill would be a nightmare for a tiring full back.
Injury wise, the only plus point is Forshaw on his way back from injury, although not ready for this weekend which is a shame because he would have reveled in it.

CLUB EVERY TIME

Chilli
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:46 am Bielsa has shipped out 17 players either sold or on loan, and explicitly states he want to
concentrate on managing a small squad. He considers 2 players for each position sufficient.
Bamford to cover for Roofe... oops... injuries or suspensions will certainly throw a spanner
in the works.

No doubt management will be thinking that free agents is the way to solve this problem,
However as Sun Tzu says the general who commands the army with no interference
from the sovereign will win.

Bielsa's methods flies in the face of convention... with method in his madness... a wisdom
even that alludes normal football pundits. Perhaps he believes that it the Spirit of the team
would be undermined by bringing in reinforcements from outside... a sort of a vote of
no confidence in the players he has trained to fit into his system.

Injuries are only opportunities for new players to excel. All injuries will pass, all suspensions
will pass. The system remains the same regardless. No change no matter who the players are.
Steadfast commitment to the players available and to the strategy.
Morning Rab, I'm just surmising but most of Bielsa's career has been on the continent. I'm thinking warm weather, fresh food, a glass of wine and clean living.

Bielsa then comes to Leeds, and probably doesn't realise the change of mentality that the players have had to adhere to.

No chips, no beer, no kebab at the end of the night....

Fair play to the players for sticking to the regime but perhaps the players on the continent are more adaptable to Bielsa's strict conditioning as they are used to a cleaner lifestyle / warmer weather whereas in England the players are pushing themselves to the limit which in turn may cause more injuries.

Just a theory!!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

herefordbornleedsboy wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:58 am Has to be bad luck at this stage, especially to have two players from one position out at one time. Injuries to me don't seem consistent with being overworked but I could be wrong.

The club vs country row depends on the sport.

Football I am definitely a club man.

Egg chasing and cricket I am country.
Morning HB, the Championship is very rough and tumble, but most of these injuries have acured during training apart from Bamford
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Personally think the injuries are just bad luck. And I'd rather we were facing a 'crisis' (if it is that?) now than towards the business end of the season. Bielsa likes a lean squad, he's certainly got one now! But he believes we can cope, and he is the man, so let's see. It's been pointed out before, who do you bring in who is deemed good enough but happy to sit on the bench waiting for someone to get injured?

With regard to the free agents mentioned, I wouldn't want any of them

Club every time
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:15 am I’d like to see Edmondson in the bench then given at least 15mins to give him a chance to knock a few Scumwall players about

I was always Country first but in the last 10+ years it’s definitely more club than country
Morning Ratscoot, good shout about bringing Edmomdsen on for the last 15 minutes. They're talking about playing Saiz up front now....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 am I agree '64. Edmondson is young but a beast of a lad physique wise and much better suited to this game.
I think Clarke should definitely be on the bench and if we're losing with 20 minutes to go, given a run. His pace and skill would be a nightmare for a tiring full back.
Injury wise, the only plus point is Forshaw on his way back from injury, although not ready for this weekend which is a shame because he would have reveled in it.

CLUB EVERY TIME

Chilli
Morning Chilli D. Club every time for me too. Tell ya what really wound me up about this International break.

i) The England games were not on normal TV. I can't remember the last time England games were not on normal TV

ii) The noise of the trumpet / drums in the crowd really off putting. Why should they be allowed?

Bah Humbug...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am Personally think the injuries are just bad luck. And I'd rather we were facing a 'crisis' (if it is that?) now than towards the business end of the season. Bielsa likes a lean squad, he's certainly got one now! But he believes we can cope, and he is the man, so let's see. It's been pointed out before, who do you bring in who is deemed good enough but happy to sit on the bench waiting for someone to get injured?

With regard to the free agents mentioned, I wouldn't want any of them

Club every time
Morning 1304,

Lean is right. Can't believe Ayling got told to lose 4kg. He's ripped.

Compare him against lets say the best female tennis player currently in the road Serena Williams.

I saw her in the final of the US Open. She was moving around the court with all the grace of a 3 legged hippo.

I know they are completely different sports but the efforts the Leeds team have made to get themselves in shape should be applauded....
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 am No chips, no beer, no kebab at the end of the night....
When I used to watch Sunday league football in Saffron Walden (Suffering Boredom
I regularly watched Ashdon Villa ( see what they did with the name of their club )
Down the pub after a few pints the lads with a slurred voice would tell the girls
they played for Ashdon Villa and the girls were well impressed to be talking to a player
from Aston Villa.

The Saturday night booze up with a vindaloo to put things to bed was a ritual
that had to be performed before every Sunday game. Football was no fun if
anybody turned up sober. To be sober was sort of cheating. Players were often
exhausted just tying up the laces of their boots, and it was a badge of merit if
you had to be subbed off after 5 minutes with diarrhea.

We were there for the goals. Best game I ever watched was when Ashdon Villa got beat
14-0. The lads did us proud... not a sober man on the pitch... everyone blaming everybody
else for letting the goals go in... ref having to stop fights between team-mates on the same
team... technicolor vomiting on the pitch... and the whole team pondering the ultimate question
that has perplexed Sunday league football players throughout the ages...
why is there always diced carrots in vomit... This is the tradition we uphold. This is the legacy
we pass on to our children, the footballers of the future. This is the true embodiment of
English football culture.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am When I used to watch Sunday league football in Saffron Walden (Suffering Boredom
I regularly watched Ashdon Villa ( see what they did with the name of their club )
Down the pub after a few pints the lads with a slurred voice would tell the girls
they played for Ashdon Villa and the girls were well impressed to be talking to a player
from Aston Villa.

The Saturday night booze up with a vindaloo to put things to bed was a ritual
that had to be performed before every Sunday game. Football was no fun if
anybody turned up sober. To be sober was sort of cheating. Players were often
exhausted just tying up the laces of their boots, and it was a badge of merit if
you had to be subbed off after 5 minutes with diarrhea.

We were there for the goals. Best game I ever watched was when Ashdon Villa got beat
14-0. The lads did us proud... not a sober man on the pitch... everyone blaming everybody
else for letting the goals go in... ref having to stop fights between team-mates on the same
team... technicolor vomiting on the pitch... and the whole team pondering the ultimate question
that has perplexed Sunday league football players throughout the ages...
why is there always diced carrots in vomit... This is the tradition we uphold. This is the legacy
we pass on to our children, the footballers of the future. This is the true embodiment of
English football culture.
Hi Rab Rant
When I was a boy I played for a team called Cornard Dynamos and later on Cornard Spartans and we used to play against Ashdon Villa. They were a physical bunch even at that age but I remember them having a forward who's nickname was Tiffer (short for Christopher I guess?) who was exceptional and banged in goals for fun.
Small world eh?
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am Morning Chilli D. Club every time for me too. Tell ya what really wound me up about this International break.

i) The England games were not on normal TV. I can't remember the last time England games were not on normal TV

ii) The noise of the trumpet / drums in the crowd really off putting. Why should they be allowed?

Bah Humbug...
Morning EB1,

Yeah it was surprising that the England games were not on normal TV and also annoying as I don't have the Sky Sports HD channels only the SD ones.
The band thing is something we have picked up from the continent unfortunately and has filtered into club football.
Thankfully I have never been seated close enough to them but I wouldn't be happy if I was.

Chilli
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am Small world eh?
DId you ever play against Plantation boys team or the Crocus pub team?
My son played at centre back for both teams.

Back in the day when I lived in Saffron walden. Oh happy days.

The town team had the most unusual pitch, you had to cope with two set of
inclines, one sloping from left to right and the other going slightly up hill
from one goal to the other.
Dalton
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Dalton »

Afternoon all,

I wouldnt play Saiz as the out and out as we need pace to keep closing down the ball out of defence. I would say Roberts and even have Clarke and Edmondson on the bench for options after the break.
My Saturday team I played for had a captain who constantly turned up in a Tuxedo coming straight from the Friday evening frivolities and this was before Winston Wolf!
My my my, such a lot of guns around town and so few brains