Marcelo Bielsa

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: Bielsa Tactics

Post by dezzy »

Well done to the club for managing to bring him in, it’s almost like they wanted us to do well!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

dezzy wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:54 pm Well done to the club for managing to bring him in, it’s almost like they wanted us to do well!
You risk upsetting a lot of fans with those sorts of comments. Don't you know it is better for the club to never get promoted as there is a clause in Seth Johnson's contract that if we get promoted to the premiership before 2049 we have to give him £47, a fishtank and Alan Smith's car parking space in the McDonalds near ER.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

dezzy wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:54 pm Well done to the club for managing to bring him in, it’s almost like they wanted us to do well!
Just a shame we didn't get him in January instead.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

weasel wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:20 pm You risk upsetting a lot of fans with those sorts of comments. Don't you know it is better for the club to never get promoted as there is a clause in Seth Johnson's contract that if we get promoted to the premiership before 2049 we have to give him £47, a fishtank and Alan Smith's car parking space in the McDonalds near ER.
Three Orta signings from last year playing key roles too; Mateusz Klich, Samuel Sáiz and Ezgjan Alioski. Less scatter gun this season and looks like Barry Douglas and Patrick Bamford could be good buys. All three loan signings should play a significant part too.

All in all Radrizzani, Kinnear and Orta nailing it so far this season. Some mistakes last year but obvious they want to build and we are heading in the right direction now.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

weasel wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:20 pm You risk upsetting a lot of fans with those sorts of comments. Don't you know it is better for the club to never get promoted as there is a clause in Seth Johnson's contract that if we get promoted to the premiership before 2049 we have to give him £47, a fishtank and Alan Smith's car parking space in the McDonalds near ER.
Reaping a lot of benefits from the work that has gone on behind the scenes over the past 18 months, work, had it not been done, would have seen us miss out on Bielsa.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

SG90 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:28 pm Just a shame we didn't get him in January instead.
I think if he had come in instead of Heck, he wouldve been gone after the first game, the pre season work he did away from the limelight with the players seems to have been the key, wouldn’t have been able to do that mid season and the way the squad was at the time would have seen that bucket thrown at any one of the players on the pitch :roflmao:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

:rol: :rol:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Bielsa on the bucket.
It is just a bucket. It is a comfy bucket. Nothing else. It has no mystical symbolism.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

https://swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/tac ... -vs-leeds/

Bit different, .this is what Swansea did to counter us and Bielsa.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Looks like open space is the key to the Swansea attack.
Draw players out of position during the high press
which then creates wide open space for players to run
into unopposed.

I hope nobody reads that article, or we could be in trouble
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:32 pm https://swansea.vitalfootball.co.uk/tac ... -vs-leeds/

Bit different, .this is what Swansea did to counter us and Bielsa.
I wouldn't be overly concerned (yet) as I feel a lot of our problem stemmed from not being able to play it out from the back as effectively as we had previously and a huge part of that was because Ayling was centreback so effectively we had 2 positions in defence (centreback and rightback) that weren't as fluent as normal. I feel that if we had known Cooper was going to be out a few days before the match then Ayling would have been able to have a couple of training sessions at centreback and also not sure whether Shackleton is training as a right back or midfielder but even if he is training as a right back he has only started doing that this season. As such we weren't able to start our attacks as fluently from the back and it had a knock on effect all over the pitch. When the defence is struggling then other players end up dropping deeper and getting themselves into the wrong positions. Alioski was probably trying to help out but in some ways it made it worse which is why Bielsa brought Harrison on as he wanted our wide player to be getting the other side of the Swansea team.

I doubt that Swansea's game plan would have been as effective if we hadn't had to make the last minute changes due to Cooper's injury. Note Swansea dominated the match early on whilst we were uncertain, due to the changes, but once we started tweaking things and correcting mistakes it was a fairly even game. Indeed the last 10 minutes of the first half and first five minutes of the second half we were on top but unfortunately we conceded against the run of play which gave them a huge lift.

You also have to acknowledge that Swansea have players that are comfortable on the ball so were often able to pass their way out of trouble - they may be the best passing team in the division.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Good points, weasel. Worth reiterating that Swansea have always been a footballing side and retain several players with loads of Premiership experience. Very decent point for us the other night
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Marcelo Bielsa

Post by Cjay »

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/september ... lo-bielsa/

Leeds 1 2 for August

Roofe and Bielsa.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:11 am Ok folks ....if he does well here this season how long will we be able to hold off the premiership?
You'd think if he gets us up to the prem, he'll stay at Leeds
1964white

Post by 1964white »

There has been some speculation that Leeds could lose Bielsa if they do not achieve promotion, however Rafael – a sports lawyer who helped draw up his contract at Leeds – has aimed to clarify the situation when asked about a possible return to Newell’s Old Boys.

“Marcelo can not go back to Newell’s because he has a contractual problem. I made the contract,” he told lacapital.com.

“If they do not go up to the Premier League, Leeds has the option to keep him. Taking into account the season they are having, it is difficult not to keep him. And if they go up, it is mandatory for both parties to stay.

“In the contract he signed there is no clause put in like the one Marcelo had when he was managing Espanyol and there was the possibility of going to the Argentine team.

“Bielsa can not come back [to Argentina] because it is a legal issue. To come back I would be breaking a contract and my brother is not doing that.

“I can not imagine Marcelo breaking a contract. He never broke one during his career, it was the other way around. For example, with Club America or Lille it was because the clubs broke the agreements.

“His character is like that. The Bielsa family does not break the rules. They are values that are learned as a child, you are taught by your mother, your grandparents and the whole family environment.”
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

It's good to have a bit of clarity on that point, as I think it was lost in translation earlier in the season.

Clearly we want him next year in the championship if the worst is to happen, BUT, do we think all the players will sign on for another year of gruelling training regimes if they know it (ultimately) didn't pay off? I feel like the core would stay, but it would definitely be a case of keeping hold of some of them, as the likes of Phillips will be hot property come summer, regardless of our league.

(Rafael is Rafael Bielsa, for anyone not aware!)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Genghers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:28 am do we think all the players will sign on for another year of gruelling training regimes if they know it (ultimately) didn't pay off? I
I think most would as they would be aware of how much Bielsa has improved them as players. I would expect bids possibly for Jannson and Phillips, Clarke's form has probably lowered his value so much that there would be no real temptation to sell. I would not be at all concerned though if PJ and KP left as MB would likely simply promote from within and actually make us stronger. The money raised would also enable us to make 2 or 3 signings that MB would want and with players he personally feels would fit into his system you would have to think we'd be much stronger as he wouldn't simply be buying to bulk up the squad. I would also expect a few of the youth team to step up to be part of the first team squad and with a full summer of integrating they could be amazing. If we stayed down, lost a few players I still feel we'd go up as runaway champions nest season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Marcelo Bielsa has a 60% league win rate this season, no Championship manager/head coach has a higher percentage in 2018/19 (level with Daniel Farke
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

weasel wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:06 am I think most would as they would be aware of how much Bielsa has improved them as players. I would expect bids possibly for Jannson and Phillips, Clarke's form has probably lowered his value so much that there would be no real temptation to sell. I would not be at all concerned though if PJ and KP left as MB would likely simply promote from within and actually make us stronger. The money raised would also enable us to make 2 or 3 signings that MB would want and with players he personally feels would fit into his system you would have to think we'd be much stronger as he wouldn't simply be buying to bulk up the squad. I would also expect a few of the youth team to step up to be part of the first team squad and with a full summer of integrating they could be amazing. If we stayed down, lost a few players I still feel we'd go up as runaway champions nest season.
Spot on, not getting promotion would be horrible, but the future is bright, if Bielsa had us in the Championship next season and had cash from selling Pontus and Phillips we would walk the league