The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite HOLD STEADY albums

Post by The Subhuman »

No I get that, it's why I wished you good luck
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:40 am No I get that, it's why I wished you good luck
aaahhhh !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

You get a feel for others preferences..I'm probably more in sync with Gessa than anyone else here
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:57 pm You get a feel for others preferences..I'm probably more in sync with Gessa than anyone else here
Yes, I think I've worked that out, in the relatively short time I've been here. Comes across not only in both your iPod shuffle lists but also your Classic track nominations (where it strikes me that some play the game and go for (perhaps) 'safe' vote winners consistently, whereas others actually go for tracks they really like, but know that they are not going to be chosen by others).

I do actually give the artists everyone puts up a go though. It's Ges's Red House Painters this evening :moggy:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Red House Painters are excellent as were stable mates Throwing Muses and of course the genre defining Pixies
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:57 pm You get a feel for others preferences..I'm probably more in sync with Gessa than anyone else here
Although Ges is not keen on Hip hop/R&B/Rap genres
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:05 pm Yes, I think I've worked that out, in the relatively short time I've been here. Comes across not only in both your iPod shuffle lists but also your Classic track nominations (where it strikes me that some play the game and go for (perhaps) 'safe' vote winners consistently, whereas others actually go for tracks they really like, but know that they are not going to be chosen by others).

I do actually give the artists everyone puts up a go though. It's Ges's Red House Painters this evening :moggy:
Pointless nominating the abundance of acquired music I enjoy as I know the majority wouldn't even bother listening to nominated songs let alone vote for them

Lets see how many folk on here enjoy these artists that feature on one of my three iPod's, there's over 40 artists whom have recorded loads of great songs, I could give you 100's more who would struggle to attain attention or votes !

Al Green
Alt-J
Antony & the Johnsons
Beirut
Bobby Womack
Burial
Cannonball Adderley
Captain Beefheart
Cat Power
Craig Finn
Curtis Mayfield
David Sylvain
Fall
Fifth Dimension
Gonjasufi
Herbie Hancock
Janelle Monae
John Cale
John Murry
Joni Mitchell
Lauryn Hill
Lee 'Scratch' Perry
Little Feat
Major Lazer
Michael Kiwanuka
Morrissey
Natakle Prass
Nick Drake
Nina Simone
Pere Ubu
Pharoah Sanders
Radiohead
Randy Newman
Robert Glasper
Robert Wyatt
Salif Keita
Skream
Soft Machine
Sturgill Simpson
Talk Talk
Teddy Pendergrass
Wishbone Ash
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:00 pm Pointless nominating the abundance of acquired music I enjoy as I know the majority wouldn't even bother listening to nominated songs let alone vote for them

Lets see how many folk on here enjoy these artists that feature on one of my three iPod's, there's over 40 artists whom have recorded loads of great songs, I could give you 100's more who would struggle to attain attention or votes !

Al Green
Alt-J
Antony & the Johnsons
Beirut
Bobby Womack
Burial
Cannonball Adderley
Captain Beefheart
Cat Power
Craig Finn
Curtis Mayfield
David Sylvain
Fall
Fifth Dimension
Gonjasufi (only as a result of listening to a track you'd put up - confess to never having heard of him before that)
Herbie Hancock
Janelle Monae
John Cale
John Murry
Joni Mitchell
Lauryn Hill
Lee 'Scratch' Perry
Little Feat
Major Lazer
Michael Kiwanuka
Morrissey (I'm a bit with Hector, when it comes to The Smiths/Morrisey - although I do like First of the Gang to Die)
Natakle Prass
Nick Drake
Nina Simone
Pere Ubu
Pharoah Sanders
Radiohead
Randy Newman ( if having the Toy Story theme counts !!)
Robert Glasper
Robert Wyatt
Salif Keita
Skream
Soft Machine
Sturgill Simpson
Talk Talk
Teddy Pendergrass
Wishbone Ash
I reckon that I've only got anything by those highlighted 64.
I understand that most (and I include myself) would perhaps be more inclined to vote for songs that they are familiar with, rather than chose something a little more unknown.
Your spectrum of tastes does seem to include a bit of everything :)

:moggy:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:52 pm I reckon that I've only got anything by those highlighted 64.
I understand that most (and I include myself) would perhaps be more inclined to vote for songs that they are familiar with, rather than chose something a little more unknown.
Your spectrum of tastes does seem to include a bit of everything :)

I understand that Cat, I love popular music so nominating the best songs by artists such as Bowie, Doors, Stones, Beatles, Floyd, Kate, Who, R.E.M/etc is cool by me, not everyone even likes those artists, personally I love them so no problem for me !

One of my favourite genres is soul music but there isn't much call for soul on here unless it is an absolute classic song. I also enjoy classical, jazz, film soundtracks, musicals but we won't even go there..... :)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:10 pm One of my favourite genres is soul music but there isn't much call for soul on here unless it is an absolute classic song. I also enjoy classical, jazz, film soundtracks, musicals but we won't even go there..... :)
I do, as you, like a bit of most things in the main, other than 'Jazz', which I just don't like one jot (the most awful being the Cleo Laine/John Dankworth and Fast Show pi*s-take type of jazz - not sure if that's considered modern/trad ???? - whatever it is it's without doubt the worst genre of music going - in my humble opinion) :)
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:05 pm Yes, I think I've worked that out, in the relatively short time I've been here. Comes across not only in both your iPod shuffle lists but also your Classic track nominations (where it strikes me that some play the game and go for (perhaps) 'safe' vote winners consistently, whereas others actually go for tracks they really like, but know that they are not going to be chosen by others).

Afraid I'm not really taken with these either :|

1964white

Post by 1964white »

On my playlist recently, two artists from the noughties

A band whose wide-ranging nature of their material has led critics to liken their sound to a variety of groups, from The Cure and Joy Division to the Pixies, Bowie and Arcade Fire.
Their cracking debut album 'The Decline of British Sea Power' is still their best work imo!

British Sea Power

The Decline of British Sea Power
Open Season

Chart Facts

Unfortunately, their finest album just missed out on a Top 50 spot where as five of their albums have reached the Top 30. Their 3rd album 'Do You Like Rock Music?' was a Top 10 album in the UK & the States.

This song is a right racket but Iove it

gessa

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite British Sea Power albums

Post by gessa »

The decline of....is the only one I own after your recommendation , very interesting live act...
1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Anna Calvi or British Sea Power albums

Post by 1964white »

Anna Calvi

Calvi ) is an English singer-songwriter & multi-instrumentalist. Her breakthrough came her stunning eponymous debut album in 2011. Two years later Anna produced another fine album 'One Breath'

Playlist

Anna Calvi
One Breath

Chart facts

Both albums made the Top 40, unfortunately, she's had no chart singles success

1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:27 pm The decline of....is the only one I own after your recommendation, very interesting live act...
Have you seen them live on your travels mate, they sound good live ?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Anna Calvi or British Sea Power albums

Post by The Subhuman »

Saw them live early in their existence at Reading, didn't finish the set though and didn't really stand out
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:50 pm Have you seen them live on your travels mate, they sound good live ?

Yes mate, saw them at a small festival last year, they were good, the shenanigans on and off stage, ie a 9ft polar bear walking through the audience adds a different dimension.
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:47 pm Anna Calvi

Calvi ) is an English singer-songwriter & multi-instrumentalist. Her breakthrough came her stunning eponymous debut album in 2011. Two years later Anna produced another fine album 'One Breath'

Playlist

Anna Calvi
One Breath

Chart facts

Both albums made the Top 40, unfortunately, she's had no chart singles success

As she made them . Also have a very good live set, from Paris, that was free to download off her site. She too is very good live .
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 am As she made them . Also have a very good live set, from Paris, that was free to download off her site. She too is very good live .
New album due from Calvi in the next few weeks

A pity her songs (jokers) received few votes in the Mega Song Contest, I suppose we are the only two on here who appreciate her albums, shame because Anna is a real talent
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:06 pm New album due from Calvi in the next few weeks
Yes, she emailed me and sent me a sample ;-)