Always The Bridesmaid.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Always The Bridesmaid.

Post by Cjay »

Never the bride.

Leeds United have seen plenty of there fellow clubs sold to billionaires for years.

Just in recent years.
Barnsley- Chien Lee and Friends-9billion estimate.
Wolves-FOSUN
WBA-Lai Guochuan-3billion
Salford fc have Peter Lim-3billion
Fulham-Shahid Khan 7billion.
Sheffield United- there owners net worth isnt known but he is a member of the ludicrously rich Saudi Royal family.

And recent news suggests Aston Villa are close to getting "significant investment" from American and an Egyptian billionaires.

Leeds meanwhile have sat and watched enviously for years, penny pinching, promised the earth, nothing delivered.

Not all these massive takeovers will work out, not all these owners will splash the cash.

But cant help but wonder, why never us?

Can understand why someone would buy Villa, big club, big fanbase big history.

But finance experts for years have named us as one of the biggest opportunities in English football, a historical club with a huge fanbase just waiting for the right person or people to come along.

We have had Ken Bates, the skint bank, Massimo Cellino and now Radz, all have promised much, none so far have delivered.

If half the potential owners had combined there resources and invested we'd be the richest club on earth.

Dietrich Mateschitz, Bernard Arnault, The Qatar Royal Family, The Saudi Royal Family, all linked to us over the last 20 years, nothing ever came of it.

All we ever seem to get is linked to multi billionaires, other clubs get them, its not fair (about to have a tantrum).

Why can a club like Wolves, a historically successful club but one that hasnt had any notable success for 60 years get FOSUN?

Villa are in trouble, months later they are about to be saved and get significant investment, we been waiting 20 years.

Dont understand why we never get these sort of people and other clubs, comparatively smaller clubs on the whole do. :cry:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Always The Bridesmaid.

Post by whiteswan »

Wow Cjay, you've really poured your heart out there, almost had me in tears. If your enthusiasm has been dented, then we really are in trouble :cry:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

By the way, you're absolutely spot on!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:49 pm Wow Cjay, you've really poured your heart out there, almost had me in tears. If your enthusiasm has been dented, then we really are in trouble :cry:
It baffles me, has for years, the Villa thing just brought it all back, meanwhile we do . . . . . .nothing. :flog: :flog: :flog:

Edit . .no wait, we sent someone else out on loan an hour ago, a centre back, we got tons of those. :duno:
Signed

King Cjay

60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Know how you feel Cjay, I have been thinking the same. Surely it would make sense for a very rich person to invest x million in buying and equipping a team like Leeds to get promoted to the Prem and then cash in and make millions ! We could all be happy ! Just ,as you say, never seems to get anywhere near us.... :cry:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

I know, aren't Leeds the biggest one city team in the country ? …...and then there's the history of success (albeit perhaps not recently - but then the same could be said for many if not most of the others that have managed to attract significant investment), the significant established fan base and the massive potential to grow the club/brand further.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Slagged off Ken Bates drove him out
Drove out GFH
Anti Cellino from day 1
Now beginning to round on Rads after 1 year

Think I'm getting a sense of why potential buyers are avoiding this particular poison apple...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 pm Slagged off Ken Bates drove him out
Drove out GFH
Anti Cellino from day 1

Think I'm getting a sense of why potential buyers are avoiding this particular poison apple...
Yep, fair point !
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Drove out GFH
Anti Cellino from day 1

1 year, GBP 100MM investment, including purchasing back ER stadium for approx GBP 20MM. But you gotta remember these No.1 supporters, home and away, hard earned money, all my mates, blah blah blah................know better............
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not saying some of those were not deserved (I never had a problem with KB but GFHJ had to go) but possible investors may see problems in the future if they don't shove 100M into the team and get promotion in 6 weeks
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Azkalwhite wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:22 pm 1 year, GBP 100MM investment, including purchasing back ER stadium for approx GBP 20MM. But you gotta remember these No.1 supporters, home and away, hard earned money, all my mates, blah blah blah................know better............
I agree but if you aren't getting perceived value for money why are you still spending it?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Azkalwhite wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:22 pm 1 year, GBP 100MM investment, including purchasing back ER stadium for approx GBP 20MM. But you gotta remember these No.1 supporters, home and away, hard earned money, all my mates, blah blah blah................know better............
Unfair criticism on the most loyal football fans a club could wish for, just remember without our fan's support we wouldn't have a club. Maybe we don't know better but our fans certainly deserve much better !

I feel for our younger fans such as Cjay, Oscar & the kids who have only witnessed poor quality LUFC teams. I personally can count myself very lucky to have seen the great Leeds sides but have got to an age where there are more important priorities in life than Leeds United, yes maybe the stuffing has been knocked out of me over the lean years as I now tend to go with the attitude 'what will be will be'
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Buying Elland Road back was done because its an asset, you own the ground, club is worth more, it wasnt done for any other reason, not slagging Radz off but he didnt do it for the fans or anything like that, it was a decision that betters an asset he owned.

Rent on the ground over the 5 years Radz has given himself to get us promoted was 10-15mil less then the purchase price of the ground, tells you all you need to know.

There will always be 2 camps, those frustrated and those calling for patience, as evidence by my Cellino post near when i first joined I'm not one for calling for owners to sell up.

I am however not going to credit owners for doing nothing of any note in 12months.

Maybe Radz will come good, but the same was said about GFH and Cellino, its always maybe, give them time, have faith.

This wasnt meant as an Anti Radz thread, more a frustration at seeing what other clubs attract and we dont.

Maybe its our fanbase, perceived moaners like me perhaps, but it wouldn't take much to keep us happy.

See us improving on the pitch, stable financially, being competitive in the transfer market, actually looking like a club who want to do something.

Like Forest, like Wolves, like Fulham, we never even give it a real go.

Always next year next year next year.

Doesnt explain though why we, i think im right in saying we are the biggest one club city in the country, one of the most loyal fanbases in the country, very popular with Sky because of our world wide appeal.

Why is that not attractive to someone like FOSUN? They brought Wolves to raise there profile, make a global brand, probably will invest in the Wolverhampton area in time similar to the Manchester City lot.

Why cant one of the clubs from one of the countries major cities with few rivals nearby attract that sort of group?
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Drove out GFH
Anti Cellino from day 1

Sorry Faaip I totally disagree with that, most of our those owners showed no ambition to move the club forward whatsoever & were at ER to line their own pockets, they have made our club into a laughing stock
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 pm Buying Elland Road back was done because its an asset, you own the ground, club is worth more, it wasnt done for any other reason, not slagging Radz off but he didnt do it for the fans or anything like that, it was a decision that betters an asset he owned.

Rent on the ground over the 5 years Radz has given himself to get us promoted was 10-15mil less then the purchase price of the ground, tells you all you need to know.
Also bought Leeds as a vehicle to gain TV rights worldwide enhancing his company profits & own wealth.....shrewd & clever businessman !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:06 pm Sorry Faaip I totally disagree with that, most of our those owners showed no ambition to move the club forward whatsoever & were at ER to line their own pockets, they have made our club into a laughing stock
I know you do mate and I don't agree with you.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

Sorry Faaip I totally disagree with that, most of our those owners showed no ambition to move the club forward whatsoever & were at ER to line their own pockets, they have made our club into a laughing stock
...but those fans didn't give the new owners 15 minutes before they were saying 'xxx out' in every case, before it was justified, in other words no fair chance was given. 'Us fans' decided immediately that we knew better than anyone else.

I agree KB was a bit of a sh*t, but he did bring a certain stability to the place (ask your mate Riot). GFH were absolutely excrement, Cellino was way better than we deserved at the time, and Radz is still in court to be judged.

On all fronts, faaip is correct as to the impression other potential takers-over may have judged us.

Cjay's excellent summation of our inability to attract a new billionaire owner was well-presented, and I have to agree with him, but the real reasons as to why the biggest club outside the Premiership could not attract a bid from such a magnate may be closer to the fanbase than you think. The Leeds boo-boys are way too vociferous and know-it-all and, I'm sorry to say, may have had a hand in ensuring that Leeds go forward without such a really rich benefactor.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:53 pm Unfair criticism on the most loyal football fans a club could wish for, just remember without our fan's support we wouldn't have a club. Maybe we don't know better but our fans certainly deserve much better !

I feel for our younger fans such as Cjay, Oscar & the kids who have only witnessed poor quality LUFC teams. I personally can count myself very lucky to have seen the great Leeds sides but have got to an age where there are more important priorities in life than Leeds United, yes maybe the stuffing has been knocked out of me over the lean years as I now tend to go with the attitude 'what will be will be'
Not a criticism of loyal football fans 64, (as I am, and everyone on this forum, even the ones unable to attend matches are loyal fans), just trying to redress the balance as I see on here, where I feel there is undue, impetuous, and disparaging remarks against AR on a daily basis, when in reality, (IMO), he has had very little time in the grand scheme of things to make our club great again.

I also feel sympathy for other football fans of once successful clubs, Sheffield W, Sheffield U, Blackburn, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Coventry, Luton, Bury, who must be equally frustrated and ambitious for success again.

I also wish that my kids, have the chance to witness the great moments, (the older ones have to some extent), that I have witnessed through the years, but for now they go to the games and get behind their team win or lose.

Am surprised that you profess to have a "what will be will be attitude", it does not seem to come across in your daily comments ;-)

Got to respect your opinion, (possibly respect maybe the wrong word), but don't often agree mate :)
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 pm Buying Elland Road back was done because its an asset, you own the ground, club is worth more, it wasnt done for any other reason, not slagging Radz off but he didnt do it for the fans or anything like that, it was a decision that betters an asset he owned.

Totally agree, not in any disagreement at all. AR purchased the ground for the betterment of the club.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

And how much have some of those billionaires invested in their clubs? Ask a Barnsley fan if they think they are any better off that us.

Rads has invested, mainly in bricks and mortar but he clearly has frustrations with FFP, how limiting it is to investment and how some clubs seems to be getting away with breaking the rules.

Over the longer term his links within media fights, the Aspire acadamy etc could prove to be much more beneficial than some of these billionaires who have bought other clubs but not invested much capital.