The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 13th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 13th July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

weasel wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:57 pm A lot depends more on the keeper's build than just the size. Blackman is the exact same height as Thibaut Courtois and I wouldn't really say he had a weakness getting down to shots.

On looking at Blackman's time at Sheff Utd last season it is promising. He was signed to be back up but started the season as first choice due to Sheff Utd's regular keeper (Simon Moore) getting injured. Blackman then held onto the place until he got injured and Moore took his place. However once Blackman was fit again he went straight back into the team. Again he stayed as first choice until another injury and again reclaimed the starting position once he got fit. He then lost the shirt again due to a sending off (and 3 match ban) but again as soon as his ban was over he was back in the starting line-up.

To keep out the regular keeper is promising and to then be straight back in after recovering from injuries and bans shows that he must have been doing very well.
Afternoon Weasel, Simon Moore is a good keeper too, ex Cardiff and Southampton I believe.

It amazing me seeing that 7ft freak (Pantilimon) who has just signed for Forest. He looks like he should be in WWE.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:04 pm I read he was dropped.
He was dropped for the last five games of the season

"With Blackman only being at the club on loan, Manager Chris Wilder decided to play Simon Moore in Goal for the final 5 games of the season"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Thought I read he was dropped mid season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Brader wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 am Its always going to happen in the summer sadly. Leeds can be as tight lipped as possible when it comes to signings - however agents love to slip out stories to try haste clubs into upping their wages. I’m not too fussed by vydra - we already doubled our pay structure to tempt him here. If he thinks he can get 50k+ a week somewhere else then good luck to him. My memory isn’t short enough to forget about administration / goldfish / Seth Johnson so I’m more than happy to look at other sensible targets.

Blackman - really happy with him. Saw him a few times last season and I think he’s a really good talent if he can get the right coaching. 6’6 is a good way to address our problems of not being able to defend corners. 8 million clause in there too if he’s worth it.

Personally I’m willing to put my trust into bielsa .... if he sees a player in cooper then so be it, same with the U23s . Bringing throug youth has always been a great aspect of our club and academy. People talk about BPF and Pearce like they’ve been here for 2 years and signed for mega bucks. Pearce wasn’t even the starting left back for the U23s at the start of last season, and now he’s talked about like he’s the first name on the team sheet.

Let’s just see how this plays out. Give the scouts and management time to get things over the line and judge things when we’ve played a couple of games. Even at this point in time we’re not even close to being the worst team in the division.

f**k it - I’m drawing a line in the sand and being positive. Anyone want to join me over here ?
I'm with you, mate, the unrelenting negativity regarding transfers is doing my head in!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:36 pm Thought I read he was dropped mid season
Seems to be a bit of misinformation about. He was banned for 3 matches towards the end of the season but came back into the team as soon as his ban was up and played from that point until the end of the season (I checked on the lineups and he was certainly not dropped for the last 5 matches of the season as some had suggested).

I have also read he was dropped mid season with some saying it was a bit unfair as he seemed to be getting blamed for a few long shots going in but sometimes that just happens and I remember early on with Green for us he was getting slated for some long range goals going in (especially Mooy's for Huddersfield) as fans seem to think keepers should be able to save shots from distance whereas sometimes they are just bl**dy good shots. It probably also coincided with Sheff Utd's slump after a good start to the season and sometimes managers make the wrong changes simply because they have options and are trying to stop the bad results. Just my opinion though as not privvy to what went on with Sheff Utd last season but the fact he came back into the team is promising.

He might turn out to be useless but what we have to remember is that he doesn't necessarily need to be better than BPF just better than FW and AL for us to be stronger than we were for the majority of last season.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

No way we can know how good BPF really is until he has a full season in goal at least. It's a big gamble to go with him from the start imo. I don't think Chelsea would have let us sign Blackman if he was going to be back up anyway
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd loan out BPF now, rather than have him stagnate in the reserves. He needs to progress. Hopefully a championship team
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:04 pm I'd loan out BPF now, rather than have him stagnate in the reserves. He needs to progress. Hopefully a championship team
Yeah I agree. Just needs game time and experience
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richard »

weasel wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 pm Seems to be a bit of misinformation about. He was banned for 3 matches towards the end of the season but came back into the team as soon as his ban was up and played from that point until the end of the season (I checked on the lineups and he was certainly not dropped for the last 5 matches of the season as some had suggested).

I have also read he was dropped mid season with some saying it was a bit unfair as he seemed to be getting blamed for a few long shots going in but sometimes that just happens and I remember early on with Green for us he was getting slated for some long range goals going in (especially Mooy's for Huddersfield) as fans seem to think keepers should be able to save shots from distance whereas sometimes they are just bl**dy good shots. It probably also coincided with Sheff Utd's slump after a good start to the season and sometimes managers make the wrong changes simply because they have options and are trying to stop the bad results. Just my opinion though as not privvy to what went on with Sheff Utd last season but the fact he came back into the team is promising.

He might turn out to be useless but what we have to remember is that he doesn't necessarily need to be better than BPF just better than FW and AL for us to be stronger than we were for the majority of last season.
I looked at Wiki and it was on there that he had been dropped for the last 5. Not saying Wiki is correct, just clarifying where id got the information from :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Richard wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:59 am I looked at Wiki and it was on there that he had been dropped for the last 5. Not saying Wiki is correct, just clarifying where id got the information from :tup:
Yeah I had done that too and then looked at some match reports on the BBC to see the lineups and had noticed it wasn't the case.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

I'd loan out BPF now, rather than have him stagnate in the reserves. He needs to progress. Hopefully a championship team
I tend to agree - he needs not to stagnate, and I hope he doesn't sulk over the demotion, because that's what it must feel like. I feel for him.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richard »

If we loan out BPF then we’ll need a number two or yet another signing when we are pressed elsewhere to find new players, it’s a bit of a catch 22. I’ve my doubts if Blackman is much better than BPF a part of me says let them fight for the jersey, another part knows that’s a bad idea as we need stability and dropping a keeper does nothing for the confidence.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Richard wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:35 am If we loan out BPF then we’ll need a number two or yet another signing when we are pressed elsewhere to find new players, it’s a bit of a catch 22. I’ve my doubts if Blackman is much better than BPF a part of me says let them fight for the jersey, another part knows that’s a bad idea as we need stability and dropping a keeper does nothing for the confidence.
If Chelsea have inserted a must play clause then it's a fight BPF can't win. He was exceptional in the circumstances and in front of a patchwork defence back end of last season, really deserves his chance. We have the Polish kid in an emergency. Who's supposed to be highly promising
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Richard »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:12 am If Chelsea have inserted a must play clause then it's a fight BPF can't win. He was exceptional in the circumstances and in front of a patchwork defence back end of last season, really deserves his chance. We have the Polish kid in an emergency. Who's supposed to be highly promising
I agree with you and I mentioned somewhere else that there must be a must play clause as he’d learn more sitting in the Chelsea reserves than our bench. I thought we either needed competition for BPF with the likes of an experienced Stockdale type signing or preferably an outstanding loan like Gunn.

Personally for me Blackman is just like for like, maybe very slightly better but too close to call, not the keeper signing I was hoping for.