The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 13th July)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 13th July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Southampton have announced that they are willing to loan former England keeper Fraser Forster out on loan, AND pay most of his £65,000 per week wages.

Unsurpringly Aston Villa and Birmingham both very quickly throw their hats in the ring.

The Saints have just splashed out 10m on Leeds loan target Angus Gunn, and with Alex McCarthy first choice at St Mary's, Forster is surplus to requirements.

Where does this our keeper situation? Birmingham will be desperate to get rid of Stockdale now, Forster could come to Elland Road on the cheap or do we let the Blackman deal go through?

Taling about the Blackman deal, an agreement has been made with both player and club - all that remains is his medical.

Will the Forster saga throw a spanner in the works?

Fulham are looking to bring Dwight Gayle to Craven Cottage on a season long loan.

Dwight Gayle or Hernandez / Kodjia or Assombalonga?

Who would you rather have?

Its Friday 13th today...

Anyone superstitious?

Any Friday 13th stories?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Fri 13th July)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Elland Back‏@EllandBack1
@PhilHayYEP With Saints making Fraser Forster available for loan and willing to pick up the majority of his £65k pw wages, could this effect Blackman coming to ER. Birmingham want Forster, therefor will have to get rid of Stockdale, or perhaps we will go after Forster?

Phil Hay‏@PhilHayYEP
Replying to @EllandBack1
as of yesterday evening, Blackman was close to being sorted. Expecting him to sign.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

BLACKMAN HAS SIGNED.

Season long loan from Chelsea. Done and dusted.

A good bit of business there.

Next please....
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Morning Ell.

Blackman done, thats ok, decent signing, but 1 loan is still 2 players short of what i felt was the minimum requirement for this week.

Phil said we wernt in for Kodjia or Assombalonga i think.

Hernandez to injury prone and Gayle well out of our price range . . . . Welcome Jerry.

The Pboro Chairman saying Maddison's release clause had been met but the structure wasnt right, sounds like us to me, always penny pinching.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am Morning Ell.

Blackman done, thats ok, decent signing, but 1 loan is still 2 players short of what i felt was the minimum requirement for this week.

Hernandez to injury prone and Gayle well out of our price range . . . . Welcome Jerry.

The Pboro Chairman saying Maddison's release clause had been met but the structure wasnt right, sounds like us to me, always penny pinching.
Is it, Cjay, or is it us living within our means? How much did Leicester pay for him in the end? £20m? Pretty sure we don't have that sort of money to spend on one player. I know you have to pay for quality, but Maddison, for example, is unproven at the top level. Big dough for a player who hasn't kicked a ball in the Premier League. We are looking at better quality, but Radz is not going to go mental and spend money we haven't got, or massively upset the wage structure as that could/will have a domino effect on other players. We all recognise that he's not an Abrahmovic with money to burn, so we have to be a bit more canny. I'm all for bringing in better players, but not to the detriment of the club's financial stability. Look at Brum and Villa; the former supposedly facing a transfer embargo, and the latter saddled with huge debts and no place at the big table.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
gessa

Post by gessa »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:07 am Good Morning Everyone

Southampton have announced that they are willing to loan former England keeper Fraser Forster out on loan, AND pay most of his £65,000 per week wages.

Unsurpringly Aston Villa and Birmingham both very quickly throw their hats in the ring.

The Saints have just splashed out 10m on Leeds loan target Angus Gunn, and with Alex McCarthy first choice at St Mary's, Forster is surplus to requirements.

Where does this our keeper situation? Birmingham will be desperate to get rid of Stockdale now, Forster could come to Elland Road on the cheap or do we let the Blackman deal go through?

Taling about the Blackman deal, an agreement has been made with both player and club - all that remains is his medical.

Will the Forster saga throw a spanner in the works?

Fulham are looking to bring Dwight Gayle to Craven Cottage on a season long loan.

Dwight Gayle or Hernandez / Kodjia or Assombalonga?

Who would you rather have?

Its Friday 13th today...

Anyone superstitious?

Any Friday 13th stories?

Used to work with a fella who was a very level headed bloke, ecept when it came to Friday the 13th, wouldn't leave the house on one, his brother informed me it was tbeir mother that scared the bejayus out of them when they were kids, he carried it through his life.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am Morning Ell.

Morning Cjay,

Leeds refuse to pay close to 50k wages for Hernandez or Vydra, and you can't blame blame

Jerry is a definite no go whatever Italian press are saying.

Kodjia and Assomalonga are expensive for what they are. Assombalonga looked like a big lump when he played for Forest against us 18 months ago.

Two decent loanee signings in Blackman and Baker, but we do need to get cracking...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 am Is it, Cjay, or is it us living within our means? How much did Leicester pay for him in the end? £20m? Pretty sure we don't have that sort of money to spend on one player. I know you have to pay for quality, but Maddison, for example, is unproven at the top level. Big dough for a player who hasn't kicked a ball in the Premier League. We are looking at better quality, but Radz is not going to go mental and spend money we haven't got, or massively upset the wage structure as that could/will have a domino effect on other players. We all recognise that he's not an Abrahmovic with money to burn, so we have to be a bit more canny. I'm all for bringing in better players, but not to the detriment of the club's financial stability. Look at Brum and Villa; the former supposedly facing a transfer embargo, and the latter saddled with huge debts and no place at the big table.
Wrong Maddison mate.

Meant the one at Peterborough, Marcus Maddison.

There owner said that a Championship club had met his release clause (about £2mil) but it wasnt structured right (installments presumably).

He then proceeded to rule out most of the league as there clubs fans asked, we wernt ruled out, just a hunch though nothing more.

Do agree on the other Maddison, ridiculous fee.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Morning all, feeling under whelmed at the lack of signings myself.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 am Is it, Cjay, or is it us living within our means? How much did Leicester pay for him in the end? £20m? Pretty sure we don't have that sort of money to spend on one player. I know you have to pay for quality, but Maddison, for example, is unproven at the top level. Big dough for a player who hasn't kicked a ball in the Premier League. We are looking at better quality, but Radz is not going to go mental and spend money we haven't got, or massively upset the wage structure as that could/will have a domino effect on other players. We all recognise that he's not an Abrahmovic with money to burn, so we have to be a bit more canny. I'm all for bringing in better players, but not to the detriment of the club's financial stability. Look at Brum and Villa; the former supposedly facing a transfer embargo, and the latter saddled with huge debts and no place at the big table.
Morning 1304, one thing for certain - Jerry is a definite no go.

Our entire squad will improve by:

A) The u23 players that will be joining the first team

B) The Summer cull

C) Better coaching and tactics

D) Fitter players

E) Sensible signings
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

gessa wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 am Used to work with a fella who was a very level headed bloke, ecept when it came to Friday the 13th, wouldn't leave the house on one, his brother informed me it was tbeir mother that scared the bejayus out of them when they were kids, he carried it through his life.
Morning Gessa, not as unusual as you think. A lot of people, especially players are superstitious.

Take The Don for instance...

Football is full of superstitions. Within the dressing room, there can be small things that each player feels they need to pre-match.

For example, some always put their left sock on first or vice versa before stepping onto the field among a litany of other habits and routines.

But did John Giles have any pre-match superstitions from his days at Leeds United, Manchester United and with Ireland?

John didn't have many superstitions but his former Leeds United manager Don Revie certainly had a few.

"Don was a very superstitious man. Leeds was supposed to have a curse on the ground. We finished runners up a couple of times," he said, adding that Revie got people in to lift the curse on the club and some trophies did follow!

"Well, we won a few things anyway. He was superstitious all the time. The [matchday] suit he had when he finished at Leeds was the suit he had from 12 years before. Because I think we played at Liverpool one day and got a good win and it was a new suit on and that was it!

"He was unbelievably superstitious. When I first went from Leeds to Manchester United, in those days it wasn't like it is today. I had my boots in a brown paper bag and I had to go into the offices to see him and I put the boots on the desk and we were talking for about 10 minutes and he said, 'What's that?'

"'They're my boots'. [Revie said], 'Get them off the table quick!' Because it was bad luck apparently. I didn't know. It was bad luck apparently to have boots on the table. He was unbelievable with superstitions."

John also revealed his own superstition: "My superstition was two magpies. One of sorrow, two for joy. Like if I saw one, I used to stop the car and have a look around and try and find another one on the way to the ground. It's amazing when you're in high pressure situations, stupid things like that get to you."

And he also spoke about what Revie used to do to try and make sure games weren't postponed because of the type of wintry weather we're getting this week - a pretty simple solution as it were.

"When it was doubtful, he used to go to the labour exchange and get lads on the dole to come up to the ground. They used to cover it with straw particularly the night before and then they'd come in Saturday morning and try and get as much of the straw off the pitch as they possibly could," said John.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Leeds United: The Elland Road Curse

Under manager Don Revie, Elland Road became a veritable footballing fortress - feared by visiting fans and teams alike. But Revie also believed that his team's ground was haunted by a gypsy curse.

Don Revie's achievements at Leeds have often been overshadowed by the team he built's reputation for hard play. That the team was gilded with skill, stamina and glorious passages of play has been forgotten in the chants of 'Dirty Leeds' that even to this day haunt the current crop of has-beens and journeymen as they toil ineffectually away in the middle reaches of the Championship table.

But Revie was also a supremely superstitious man. Before every match he took the exact same route to the dugout. He feared ornamental elephants and - more famously - birds. He removed the club's famous old peacock from the badge and forbid any bird motifs or images from Elland Road. Before matches, the team would undergo a number of rituals - including innocuous but strange games of carpet bowls - and wore a blue suit to every game.

In 1971, his team enduring a mild slump in form and seemingly suffering from happenstance, he became convinced that the ground itself had been cursed by a gypsy. Where this belief came from is uncertain, but that year he sought the assistance of a 'witch' from Scarborough to rid the ground of its evil blessing. Tales abound that the ground was situated on a gypsy cemetery, or had been cursed when gypsies were refused entry to the city.

Whether there was ever actually a curse and whether the supposed witch helped to remove its spell, Revie's Leeds failed to win the league that year, having headed it for almost all of the season.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Richard wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:19 am Morning all, feeling under whelmed at the lack of signings myself.
Morning Richard. I can see a couple of signings by Monday / Tuesday.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

Blackman being one of them still leaves me feeling vastly underwhelming;)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:22 am BLACKMAN HAS SIGNED.

Season long loan from Chelsea. Done and dusted.

A good bit of business there.

Next please....
Good morning Matt & All

Is Blackman any better than Peacock-Farrell ?

Never played in the premiership

31 games for the Blunts in the championship
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:15 am Wrong Maddison mate.

Meant the one at Peterborough, Marcus Maddison.

There owner said that a Championship club had met his release clause (about £2mil) but it wasnt structured right (installments presumably).

He then proceeded to rule out most of the league as there clubs fans asked, we wernt ruled out, just a hunch though nothing more.

Do agree on the other Maddison, ridiculous fee.
Sorry, Cjay, wrong player AND club!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Richard wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 am Blackman being one of them still leaves me feeling vastly underwhelming;)
Underwhelming signings are the name of the game at Leeds Richard

When did we actually get excited about one ?
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 am Morning 1304, one thing for certain - Jerry is a definite no go.

Our entire squad will improve by:

A) The u23 players that will be joining the first team

B) The Summer cull

C) Better coaching and tactics

D) Fitter players

E) Sensible signings
Spot on, Matt. And than fook Jerry isn't coming!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:45 am Blackman done, thats ok, decent signing, but 1 loan is still 2 players short of what i felt was the minimum requirement for this week.
Still 4 quality players short for me plus a couple of decent back-up players in the positions I'm concerned about

A great deal to do before I'm convinced we have done enough, probably won't happen!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'm waiting for someone at ER to tell us 'We are working hard behind the scenes'

Meanwhile Radz is jollying abroad :roll: