The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Black Sabbath albums ?

Post by 1964white »

64's Hall of Fame

More to follow of course

Arcade Fire
Bad Co
Beach Boys
Beatles
Black Sabbath
Clash
Elton John
Lou Reed
Pink Floyd
Velvet Underground
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:21 pm I was there too, took my young lad, who loves then too and he also likes Rival Sons, so was a double whammy for him.
Did see them on their final tour with Ozzy first time round too :)
They only got to do a relatively short set in Support of Sabbath didn't they.

I saw them about 5 years ago, at a date on their UK/European tour, at Cardiff University and they were really good. Jay Buchanan can sure hit those high notes and as a band they were really tight. I think since then though they've changed the bass player (don't think his bald head look fitted in with the band image !?!?)

:moggy:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:21 pm I was there too, took my young lad, who loves then too and he also likes Rival Sons, so was a double whammy for him.
Did see them on their final tour with Ozzy first time round too :)
They only got to do a relatively short set in Support of Sabbath didn't they.

I saw them about 5 years ago, at a date on their UK/European tour, at Cardiff University and they were really good. Jay Buchanan can sure hit those high notes and as a band they were really tight. I think since then though they've changed the bass player (don't think his bald head look fitted in with the band image !?!?)

Twice, how did that happen ????
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

gessa wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:24 pm Also went to the Heaven and Hell tour with Dio, not Sabbath imo, should have reformed as a new band ,but good album and show.
Also saw these.
The set-list was largely based on the Heaven & Hell album, which was released as a Black Sabbath album so in a way difficult not to market/promote it as such.

Didn't they have to change the name to H&H because of some contractual wrangle with Ozzy (Sharon Osbourne) over the use of the name BS, before they all became friends again (minus Bill Ward of course), which meant that they couldn't tour under the BS name ?
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:40 pm We have the same top three but in a different order mate :tup:

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was such an underrated album probably because it was their 5th release

Following Vol 4 it had a lot to live up to for a lot of fans but personally I think Vol 4 as a few week songs on. Changes does my head in although for some it was a kind of anthem.
When he covered it with Kelly, I nearly vomited every time I heard it.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 pm Also saw these.
The set-list was largely based on the Heaven & Hell album, which was released as a Black Sabbath album so in a way difficult not to market/promote it as such.

Didn't they have to change the name to H&H because of some contractual wrangle with Ozzy (Sharon Osbourne) over the use of the name BS, before they all became friends again (minus Bill Ward of course), which meant that they couldn't tour under the BS name ?
Not too sure but anything is possible with that media whore.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:01 pm They only got to do a relatively short set in Support of Sabbath didn't they.

It was, only 8 songs i think.
Fella I was talking to, saw them at a festival a couple of years before and said they were brilliant.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Never was a Sabbath fan, Ozzy has a voice that grates for me...Deep Purple slightly better but I still own nothing by them
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

On the playlist at the weekend

Arcade Fire

Their best albums

Funeral
Neon Bible
Arcade Fire (EP)

others on my playlist

The Suburbs

FUNERAL was a slow burner, released in the States in 2004 & later in March 2005 in the UK. By November 2005, Funeral had gone gold in both Canada and the UK, and sold over half a million copies worldwide,[20] a very large number for an independent release with minimal television or radio exposure & didn't manage to make the top 30 album chart in the UK
FUNERAL has also been very successful in our Prem/Champs/L1/L2 Album polls with two consecutive promotions since it's introduction to the competition

Chart Stats

Arcade Fire achieved three No.1's with their worst albums in the UK & the USA. Shamefully Funeral even though it sold millions only made the No.33 spot in the UK however their follow up Neon Bible did reach No.2 in both countries

The Canadian band had top four top 30 singles (all off Funeral & Neon Bible) in the UK
Muppet the Cat

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Arcade Fire albums ?

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Arcade Fire - have nothing by these, other than a single track on my iPod - Sprawl II, which comes up once every blue moon on a shuffle. So can't really contribute or comment on their output, be it positively or not.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Funeral is outstanding and live they're a triumph, never really got into Neon Bible
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:23 pm Arcade Fire - have nothing by these, other than a single track on my iPod - Sprawl II, which comes up once every blue moon on a shuffle. So can't really contribute or comment on their output, be it positively or not.

Give Funeral a listen Cat, a great debut
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:34 pm Funeral is outstanding and live they're a triumph, never really got into Neon Bible
I enjoyed Neon Bible, after that they went downhill imo !

Funeral is undoubtedly their best 8-)
gessa

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite ANTONY & the JOHNSONS albums ?

Post by gessa »

Funeral
Neon Bible
EP

Only played The Suburbs a couple of times, couldn't really get i to it, their last offering, I haven't even played.
hector

Post by hector »

Never played anythingof theirs....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

On the current playlist

Antony & the Johnsons

Absolutely gorgeous albums from one of the great & acquired bands of the modern-era. Unfortunately I suspect Antony's music is still unappreciated by the majority on here

My favourite Antony albums in this order

Antony & The Johnsons
The Crying Light
I Am A Bird Now
Swanlights
Turning
Hopelessness (recorded under new name Anohni)

Chart facts

My favourite album made no impact on the charts though Antony's next three works were Top 30 albums. Antony has had no Singles chart success

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Back to 70's rock on my playlist next up
1964white

Post by 1964white »

64's Hall of Fame

More to follow of course

Alice Cooper
Antony & the Johnsons
Arcade Fire
Bad Co
Beach Boys
Beatles
Black Sabbath
Clash
Elton John
Lou Reed
Pink Floyd
Velvet Underground
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 am On the current playlist

Antony & the Johnsons

Absolutely gorgeous albums from one of the great & acquired bands of the modern-era. Unfortunately I suspect Antony's music is still unappreciated by the majority on here

My favourite Antony albums in this order

Antony & The Johnsons
The Crying Light
I Am A Bird Now
Swanlights
Turning
Hopelessness (recorded under new name Anohni)

Chart facts

My favourite album made no impact on the charts though Antony's next three works were Top 30 albums. Antony has had no Singles chart success

I picked up one of their albums (I think it's I Am A Bird Now) at a CBS after seeing them on Jools Holland once. However, must confess to never listening to it and if a track pops up on shuffle on the iPod I tend to knock it on to the next.............so no, not really for me 64.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 am I picked up one of their albums (I think it's I Am A Bird Now) at a CBS after seeing them on Jools Holland once. However, must confess to never listening to it and if a track pops up on shuffle on the iPod I tend to knock it on to the next.............so no, not really for me 64.
I think Antony only appeals to Ges & myself on this one Cat