Risk Vs Reward

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Risk Vs Reward

Post by Cjay »

Been thinking today about some of our reported transfer targets.

2 in particular.

Kyle Bartley and Abel Hernandez.

Quality players on there day, Hernandez in particular would be a real coup imo.

But there is one key factor both players have in common and us as fans seem to overlook.

They are both very injury prone players, not just recently but throughout there careers.

Kyle Bartley- Officially i can find that he has missed a total of 535 days through injuries, that wont include little niggles where he misses the odd game i assume so the total is probably slightly more.

Abel Hernandez- He is even worse, he has missed 682 days through injury. That includes 2 injuries of 180 days or so each.

For 2 players only entering there prime years now thats an astounding amount of time spent injured.

In 12 seasons Abel Hernandez has only played more then 30 games in a season twice.

In 9 seasons Kyle Bartley has played more then 30 games just once, that was for us.

Neither of these players lack talent, the reason they dont play is because they cant stay fit.

There is no getting away from the fact these two players arent reliable, understand injuries happen but unfortunately these two are part of that breed of footballer who seem to be made of glass.

And they wont be cheap to sign.

Abel Hernandez in particular is going to smash our wage structure to bits, upwards of £35k i would imagine, possibly over £40k. Kyle Bartley is rumored to be on only just a shade under £30k himself.

SO for the pair we probably talking £60-£70k a week, thats not including any bonuses.

However, the flip side is they are both quality players, at this level there top top class, to good in fact imo, if they wernt so injury prone im sure they would both be at a higher level, Hernandez is possibly off to higher level clubs anyway.

So, if they can somehow stay fit for a full season, if we sign them, then we have signed 2 of the best players in there respective positions in the league.

But, we arent flush with cash, lets be honest if these 2 get injured then we will be back to Liam Cooper and possibly Jerry Mbakogu and with the greatest will in the world those 2 arent close to the class of Hernandez and Bartley.

So is it worth the risk?

Our hearts say we absolutely should bring Bartley back and reunite him with his close pal Ayling, and stats wise Abel Hernandez has 29 goals and 3 assists in 42 Championship games (minutes played taken into account), seems like a no brainer till you remember those 42 games are split over 2 separate seasons and collectively dont even amount to one full season in this league.

Would we be better off spending our money on less injury prone players, or is the undoubted class of both worth the risk?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Risk Vs Reward

Post by 1964white »

Three Hull season-ticket holders views

One told me Hernandez will start well but then fade

Another said he is up & down and you can have him

The other said Abel is inconsistent & you are welcome to him

Whether Hernandez's form drops off because of a lack of fitness due to injuries or interrupted pre-season training is the reason for his inconsistent form I don't know :duno:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 pm Three Hull season-ticket holders views

One told me Hernandez will start well but then fade

Another said he is up & down and you can have him

The other said Abel is inconsistent & you are welcome to him

Whether Hernandez's form drops off because of a lack of fitness due to injuries or interrupted pre-season training is the reason for his inconsistent form I don't know :duno:
Sounds a bit like sour grapes.

Championship record speaks for itself, player and young player of the year when they got promoted.

Came back and scored 8 in 10 last season.

Struggled in the Prem but tbf to him Hull were poo and only so much can do with the limited chances they would have created in the Prem.

From reading there forum think 90% would keep him in a heartbeat.

Championship minutes per goal is better then Chris Wood's in his last season for us.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 pm Sounds a bit like sour grapes.

Championship record speaks for itself, player and young player of the year when they got promoted.

Came back and scored 8 in 10 last season.

Struggled in the Prem but tbf to him Hull were poo and only so much can do with the limited chances they would have created in the Prem.

From reading there forum think 90% would keep him in a heartbeat.
Just reporting what fans who watch him play at every home game think about him. I respect their views as they often talk sense on other football matters
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:50 pm Just reporting what fans who watch him play at every home game think about him. I respect their views as they often talk sense on other football matters
Fair enough.

Just dont see how they can say he is inconsistent.

Injury prone yes, dont think he is inconsistent.

But they see him more.
Signed

King Cjay