The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 22 May)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 22 May)

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning Everyone

Carlos Carvalhal is the latest Manager to be linked to the ER hotseat. The 52 year old has recently parted company with Swansea City.

Is Carvalhal better than what we have at the moment?

As reported yesterday Leeds are trying to sign Citeh keeper Angus Gunn.

The 22 year old is more experienced than BPF having already enjoyed a very successful season at Carrow Road, BUT has Peacock-Farrell earned a stint in the starting line up next season?

Ronaldo Viera has joined Tom Pearce in the England under 21 tournament in Toulon this Summer.

You'll recall Viera struck the winning penalty to help the 3 lions to victory.

Unfortunately when Viera returned to Elland Road, he wasn't the same player again for quite some time...

Who would you rather have back in your starting line up?

Noel Whelan or Jermain Beckford?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tue 22 May)

Post by HarryofOz »

Morning EB

Congratulations to Vieira

Beckford

Re Carvalhal - reading his Wikipage, he's had 17 different managerial jobs in 20 years. The only club he's been manager of for more than one season is Sheffield Wednesday. In fact he is the managerial equivalent of Leeds as a manager appointer :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Morning EB.

Carvalhal couldn't make much of the mess that was Sheffield Wednesday. I was amazed when he got the Swansea job. Seemingly, a nice guy, but not for me.

Not sure that Angus Gunn is a step up from BPF. Then again, not seen him play that much. Would prefer somebody with a bit more experience to push and mentor BPF, assuming that both Felix and Lonners are on their way.

It is good that our youngsters are recognised, but I would have preferred RV to have a complete rest this summer. He was a shadow of his former self last season due to niggling injuries. A fully fit and firing Vieira is very important to us next season.

Beckford, all day long.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:59 am Morning EB

Congratulations to Vieira

Beckford

Re Carvalhal - reading his Wikipage, he's had 17 different managerial jobs in 20 years. The only club he's been manager of for more than one season is Sheffield Wednesday. In fact he is the managerial equivalent of Leeds as a manager appointer :)
Evening Harry :) :) :)

Let's hope Viera can rediscover his form from a couple of years ago, and continue it to next season.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Gandalf wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:08 am Morning EB.

Carvalhal couldn't make much of the mess that was Sheffield Wednesday. I was amazed when he got the Swansea job. Seemingly, a nice guy, but not for me.

Not sure that Angus Gunn is a step up from BPF. Then again, not seen him play that much. Would prefer somebody with a bit more experience to push and mentor BPF, assuming that both Felix and Lonners are on their way.

It is good that our youngsters are recognised, but I would have preferred RV to have a complete rest this summer. He was a shadow of his former self last season due to niggling injuries. A fully fit and firing Vieira is very important to us next season.

Beckford, all day long.
Morning Gandalf,

From memory Gunn has also represented England at every level since 15yo but I take your point about experience. Would you take Green back for a season?

Very interesting point you've made about Viera. It must be every players dream to represent their Country but at what cost for their club?

What comes first, club or Country?
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:35 am From memory Gunn has also represented England at every level since 15yo but I take your point about experience. Would you take Green back for a season?

Very interesting point you've made about Viera. It must be every players dream to represent their Country but at what cost for their club?

What comes first, club or Country?
Gunn is a prospect, but he is not our player if we get him on a season loan. I would take Green back if he is still fit, and willing to play a subservient/mentor role to BPF. I know he has plans after football - he was taking a University course whilst at Leeds and Udders, so retirement may be on his mind now.

Club before country every time. We are the ones who are paying the wages.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Gandalf wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am Gunn is a prospect, but he is not our player if we get him on a season loan. I would take Green back if he is still fit, and willing to play a subservient/mentor role to BPF. I know he has plans after football - he was taking a University course whilst at Leeds and Udders, so retirement may be on his mind now.

Club before country every time. We are the ones who are paying the wages.
Can't argue with any of that.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Morning Ell, I pretty much agree with everything that Gandi said.

Carvalhal is nothing too special in my opinion. I thought he would have done a lot better at Wednesday and kept Swansea up.

If we are going to sign a new keeper, than I would also prefer someone more experienced, someone that BPF can look up to and gain knowledge from. I just wonder that if we sign the 'young gunn', how would that affect our young keeper.....If it was me I'd be wondering why not play me.

I would prefer all our players to be resring this summer....not just young Viera. Call me a spoilsport if you like, but I don't like our players being called up for international duty, possibility of injuries and being tapped up by players from other clubs.

Beckford for me
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:12 am Good Morning Everyone

Carlos Carvalhal is the latest Manager to be linked to the ER hotseat. The 52 year old has recently parted company with Swansea City.

Is Carvalhal better than what we have at the moment?

As reported yesterday Leeds are trying to sign Citeh keeper Angus Gunn.

The 22 year old is more experienced than BPF having already enjoyed a very successful season at Carrow Road, BUT has Peacock-Farrell earned a stint in the starting line up next season?

Ronaldo Viera has joined Tom Pearce in the England under 21 tournament in Toulon this Summer.

You'll recall Viera struck the winning penalty to help the 3 lions to victory.

Unfortunately when Viera returned to Elland Road, he wasn't the same player again for quite some time...

Who would you rather have back in your starting line up?

Noel Whelan or Jermain Beckford?
Carvahal isn’t much of a step up on Heck, he had money at Wednesday and didn’t have a great record, decent job at Swansea, but they reverted back to being poor when the pressure hit, how would his team do with 5 games to go with promotion on the line in the championship, seems weak.

Shame that Viera got the call, a proper break would have done him the world of good going into next season.
As for the keeper situation, if BPF is good enough he’ll start over whoever we bring in, as it stands he deserves a shot at being number one, but let him prove he’s better in training than whoever comes in, it will push both keepers to preform
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good morning Matt
1964white

Post by 1964white »

No thank you. Carlos Carvalhal is becoming another journeyman

Unsure how good Gunn is. I do believe Peacock-Farrell has earned his first-team place, difficult to fault the young lad when so many around him should be taking the flak for last seasons fiasco!

Good luck to Tom & Ronaldo

Beckford is a hero in my eyes :love:

Oh for a striker at Leeds who sits on the shoulder of a CB then does him for pace consistently slotting the ball into the onion bag
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 am Good morning Matt
Afternoon Leon 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 am
I think I saw Lasogga do that once!!! :)

Tho, it may have been a dream..
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Afternoon Ell,

My poor dead Grandmother is better than Feckingarse! No to Carvahal, failed at Wendies and took Swansea down

Gunn is a good young keeper, who earned rave reviews in a bang average Norwich team this season. Buy why a loan only; if he's the real deal, then buy him?

Club before country every time. Wish Ronnie was getting a full summer's rest

No contest, Jermaine 100 times out of 100
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

whiteswan wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:23 am Morning Ell, I pretty much agree with everything that Gandi said.

Carvalhal is nothing too special in my opinion. I thought he would have done a lot better at Wednesday and kept Swansea up.

If we are going to sign a new keeper, than I would also prefer someone more experienced, someone that BPF can look up to and gain knowledge from. I just wonder that if we sign the 'young gunn', how would that affect our young keeper.....If it was me I'd be wondering why not play me.

I would prefer all our players to be resring this summer....not just young Viera. Call me a spoilsport if you like, but I don't like our players being called up for international duty, possibility of injuries and being tapped up by players from other clubs.

Beckford for me
Afternoon WS,

Good point about Carvalhal's stint with the Wendies. With the players he had at his disposal, he should have done a lot better.

One of the rumours circulating is that we are after Forestieri. He would be a good signing....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

lufc1304 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:01 pm Afternoon Ell,

My poor dead Grandmother is better than Feckingarse! No to Carvahal, failed at Wendies and took Swansea down

Gunn is a good young keeper, who earned rave reviews in a bang average Norwich team this season. Buy why a loan only; if he's the real deal, then buy him?

Club before country every time. Wish Ronnie was getting a full summer's rest

No contest, Jermaine 100 times out of 100
Afternoon 1304, I cannot believe Heckingbottom is still with us. His record was the second worse in the Championship from the day he took over.

We need to be attracting better talent. I can't see us doing this with PH in charge.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:23 pm Afternoon 1304, I cannot believe Heckingbottom is still with us. His record was the second worse in the Championship from the day he took over.

We need to be attracting better talent. I can't see us doing this with PH in charge.
How did he compare with other managers who'd basically left the club mid season mortally wounded and didn't get a transfer window and also had most of the first and second team defences injured or suspended?

Is there a stat for that?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:59 pm How did he compare with other managers who'd basically left the club mid season mortally wounded and didn't get a transfer window and also had most of the first and second team defences injured or suspended?

Is there a stat for that?
Afternoon Faaip, valid point that Heck got thrown in at the deep end, but with the players at his disposal, he should have done a lot better than he actually did
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:05 pm Afternoon Faaip, valid point that Heck got thrown in at the deep end, but with the players at his disposal, he should have done a lot better than he actually did
I'm unconvinced Hecky should have done better Matt

Only Hernandez, Peacock-Farrell, Pearce, O'Connor & possibly Forshaw (when he played) showed any decent form since he arrived at ER, the rest were bordering on average to very poor.

How is a manager/coach expected to acquire results when only two experienced players & three young ones whom were dragged from nowhere & pushed into the first team squad consistently performed well ? That means six first-teamers & the three subs Hecky had at his disposal were almost like passengers !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Confidence was gone, injuries mounted up. Basically if it were a car the engine had blown, the brakes were shot and the CD player had a CD stuck inside (best analogy I could come up with for Lassoga) and he was pushing it over the finishing line.

Listen, not saying he's a good manager, not saying we shouldn't look for better but cannot agree that that season was down to him. He did as well as could be expected in the circumstances.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"