Mega Fave Song Poll Round 42 -BB Haighy, Mountain, Mrs 64, Onemore, 1304 to NOMINATE

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Mega Favourite Song Poll Grand Final Result

Post by 1964white »

Semi-Finals

Vote Now

60's

Simon & Garfunkel 'The Boxer' Cjay v Creedance Clearwater Revival 'I Put A Spell On You' Cat
Four Tops 'Reach Out I'll Be There' 1304 v R Dean Taylor 'There's A Ghost In My House' Liggy

70's

Gerry Rafferty 'Baker Street' Sandra v Curtis Mayfield 'Move On Up' 1304
Doors 'Riders On The Storm' 64 v Gordon Lightfoot 'If You Could Read My Mind' Azkal

80's

Talking Heads 'Once In A Lifetime' John v Siouxsie and the Banshees 'Christine' 1304
U2 'Gloria' BB v Michael Jackson 'Thriller' Mrs 64

90s

Cranberries 'Dreams' 64 v Everything But The Girl 'Missing' Liggy
R.E.M 'Man On The Moon' Mrs 64 v REM 'Everybody Hurts' Gandi

2000's

Band Of Horses 'Monsters' 64 v Foo Fighters 'The Pretender' Gandi
Johnny Cash 'Hurt' 1304 v Arctic Monkeys 'When The Sun Goes Down' Norfolk
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Mega Fave Song Decade RD 5. Semi-Finals - VOTE NOW

Post by The Subhuman »

60's

Simon & Garfunkel 'The Boxer'
R Dean Taylor 'There's A Ghost In My House'

70's

Gerry Rafferty 'Baker Street'
Gordon Lightfoot 'If You Could Read My Mind' Azkal

80's

Siouxsie and the Banshees 'Christine' 1304
U2 'Gloria'

90s

R.E.M 'Man On The Moon'
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Re: Mega Favourite Song Poll Grand Final Result

Post by 1964white »

Semi-Finals

Vote Now

60's

Simon & Garfunkel 'The Boxer' Cjay 1-0 Creedance Clearwater Revival 'I Put A Spell On You' Cat
Four Tops 'Reach Out I'll Be There' 1304 0-1 R Dean Taylor 'There's A Ghost In My House' Liggy

70's

Gerry Rafferty 'Baker Street' Sandra 1-0 Curtis Mayfield 'Move On Up' 1304
Doors 'Riders On The Storm' 64 0-1 Gordon Lightfoot 'If You Could Read My Mind' Azkal

80's

Talking Heads 'Once In A Lifetime' John 0-1 Siouxsie and the Banshees 'Christine' 1304
U2 'Gloria' BB 1-0 Michael Jackson 'Thriller' Mrs 64

90s

Cranberries 'Dreams' 64 v Everything But The Girl 'Missing' Liggy
R.E.M 'Man On The Moon' Mrs 64 1-0 REM 'Everybody Hurts' Gandi

2000's

Band Of Horses 'Monsters' 64 v Foo Fighters 'The Pretender' Gandi
Johnny Cash 'Hurt' 1304 v Arctic Monkeys 'When The Sun Goes Down' Norfolk

Voted - Faaip
Muppet the Cat

Re: Mega Fave Song Decade RD 5 Quarter-Finals. Bally, BB, Cjay to VOTE

Post by Muppet the Cat »

faaip wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:16 pm I love Depeche Mode but the above is just a pop ditty compared to what came later for me. Talking Heads one of the most influential bands of all time. You can hear them in the Pixies stuff to start with and that lead to Nirvana and the sound of Seattle which was the last time Rock was truly alive..
Sorry faaip, I would have to agree with Bally regarding the Talking Heads, in fact one of the few bands I would make the effort to turn the radio off if they came on...........only get up quicker to turn it off if that howling blo*dy Welsh woman, Cerys Matthews and/or Catatonia were to come on.
Safe to say no Talking Heads vinyl, cassettes, CD's or iPod downloads in this house (there is some Depeche Mode though !).
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

60's

Creedance Clearwater Revival 'I Put A Spell On You'
Four Tops 'Reach Out I'll Be There'

70's

Curtis Mayfield 'Move On Up'
Doors 'Riders On The Storm'

80's

Siouxsie and the Banshees 'Christine'
Michael Jackson 'Thriller'

90s

Everything But The Girl 'Missing'
REM 'Everybody Hurts'

2000's

Arctic Monkeys 'When The Sun Goes Down'

I'd agree with others that the 2000's choices are a bit dodgy...........although this AM's track is a top tune !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 pm 60's

Four Tops 'Reach Out I'll Be There'

70's

80's

90s

REM 'Everybody Hurts'

2000's

Arctic Monkeys 'When The Sun Goes Down'

I'd agree with others that the 2000's choices are a bit dodgy...........although this AM's track is a top tune !
Band of Horses songs I've posted up in the last two polls are crackers Cat, 'Funeral' got to the Round 5 Final, Monsters has made these semi-finals so they can't be that bad, very accessible music I would say, both songs from a wonderful album full of great songs, a real grower if you give it a chance
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:00 pm Band of Horses songs I've posted up in the last two polls are crackers Cat, 'Funeral' got to the Round 5 Final, Monsters has made these semi-finals so they can't be that bad, very accessible music I would say, both songs from a wonderful album full of great songs, a real grower if you give it a chance
I did give them a listen 64, maybe I didn't give them long enough.....However, I did investigate further one of the other recommendations that you posted recently (I think it was one this thread) that I hadn't come across before......the Dead South, and was well impressed with them. CD already ordered on ebay.

There is some good stuff that quietly seeps out of Canada.......my favourite being City and Colour, in effect Dallas Green from AlexisOnFire.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 pm I did give them a listen 64, maybe I didn't give them long enough.....However, I did investigate further one of the other recommendations that you posted recently (I think it was one this thread) that I hadn't come across before......the Dead South, and was well impressed with them. CD already ordered on ebay.

There is some good stuff that quietly seeps out of Canada.......my favourite being City and Colour, in effect Dallas Green from AlexisOnFire.
Faaip originally touted up Dead South to be fair but yes I have mentioned them a couple of times

The guy who laid our patio Bob the Builder loves the album after I recommended it to him

Yes you need to listen to the album 'Everything All The Time' by the Band Of Horses, give it a few listens & you'd be humming the songs in your head all day long :)
In the next round I'll be nominating a beautiful acoustic song from that album 'St Augustine' which is absolutely gorgeous, warms the cockles of my heart :love:
hector

Post by hector »

60's

70's

Gerry Rafferty 'Baker Street'
Gordon Lightfoot 'If You Could Read My Mind'

80's

U2 'Gloria'

90s

Cranberries 'Dreams'
REM 'Everybody Hurts'
2000's

Band Of Horses 'Monsters'
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

60's

70's

Gordon Lightfoot 'If You Could Read My Mind'

80's

U2 'Gloria'

90s

REM 'Everybody Hurts'

2000's

Foo Fighters 'The Pretender'
Johnny Cash 'Hurt'
hector

Post by hector »

The observant ones amongst you may have noticed that yet again Hector has not got a song in the semi's.... never has, probably never will, nobody likes my songs, I think it is a conspiracy, is it coz I's fat? nobody cares, here I am brain the size of a planet and no one like my songs, I think I will go and wash my head in a bucket of water, that should help me feel a bit more wretched........ ruffin chuffin rastardlys

;-)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

Lol..........just noticed. The positive however, is that you have a unique taste in music, rather than following the masses. Or the conspiracists :twisted: among us may point to dastardly rigging of the music poll. Is it the work of the 64's who as a team are voting tactically.........and Mr 64 choosing the Joker songs...........or Mr 64 choosing which songs are poised against other songs in each round..........or the constant subliminal messages about Band of Horses from Mr 64..........Or is it that you have a shite taste in music :cry: ;-)
Bally
First Team
First Team

Post by Bally »

60's

R Dean Taylor 'There's A Ghost In My House' Liggy

70's

Gerry Rafferty 'Baker Street' Sandra

80's

90s

REM 'Everybody Hurts'

2000's
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:08 am The observant ones amongst you may have noticed that yet again Hector has not got a song in the semi's.... never has, probably never will, nobody likes my songs, I think it is a conspiracy, is it coz I's fat? nobody cares, here I am brain the size of a planet and no one like my songs, I think I will go and wash my head in a bucket of water, that should help me feel a bit more wretched........ ruffin chuffin rastardlys
;-)
Sorry Hector

As a kid Bernard Cribbins 'Right Said Fred' I liked this song but it was up against some strong songs as is the usual case with the 60's decade which is so competitive.

I have every Zeppellin album & although I enjoy 'Achilles Last Stand' it is not one of my favourite Zepp songs.

Never been a fan of Foreigner's music, not a great fan of the Manics too !

Love 'In A Broken Dream' song, a classic imo !

I probably enjoy more genres of music than most on here but like everyone we all have our favourites & different opinions on the music scene. I'm also somewhat surprised how some great songs have been eliminated

Keep on plugging away Hector, you'll find a winner that appeals to the majority. Try nominating some more Bowie songs although not everyone enjoys the thin white duke :shock:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Azkalwhite wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 am Lol..........just noticed. The positive however, is that you have a unique taste in music, rather than following the masses. Or the conspiracists :twisted: among us may point to dastardly rigging of the music poll. Is it the work of the 64's who as a team are voting tactically.........and Mr 64 choosing the Joker songs...........or Mr 64 choosing which songs are poised against other songs in each round..........or the constant subliminal messages about Band of Horses from Mr 64..........Or is it that you have a shite taste in music :cry: ;-)
Oh dear Azkal I hope you are joking ;-)

: Songs are drawn out of a hat

: Jill & I obviously share similar tastes but she has her own artists I'm not keen on & there is a great amount of acquired music I enjoy she can't stand !

: Joker songs are chosen in alphabetical order from a previous contest we held on here a few years ago.

: As for the Band Of Horses I love promoting & sharing an obscure album that is brilliant just like Faaip's recommendation Dead South, this side of Yorkshire are reeling with all the trendy music :lol:

: Impossible for me to rig the contest as the winning songs are down to our participants who vote for them. I'm shocked at some of the songs that have been eliminated with ease !
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

1964white wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 am Oh dear Azkal I hope you are joking ;-)

: Songs are drawn out of a hat

: Jill & I obviously share similar tastes but she has her own artists I'm not keen on & there is a great amount of acquired music I enjoy she can't stand !

: Joker songs are chosen in alphabetical order from a previous contest we held on here a few years ago.

: As for the Band Of Horses I love promoting & sharing an obscure album that is brilliant just like Faaip's recommendation Dead South, this side of Yorkshire are reeling with all the trendy music :lol:

: Impossible for me to rig the contest as the winning songs are down to our participants who vote for them. I'm shocked at some of the songs that have been eliminated with ease !
:lol: Of course it was tongue in cheek you daft so and so, I would never wish to offend Mrs 64, but I do want to see video evidence of the hat draw ;-)

BTW I think you may possibly find that it was moi that put up the Dead South on this thread, but no big deal :)
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

60s

CCR - I put a spell on you
Four Tops - Reach out

70s

Curtis Mayfield - Move on up
Doors - Riders on the Storm

80s

Siouxsie - Christine
U2 - Gloria :love:

90s

Everything But the Girl - Missing
REM - Everybody Hurts

2000s

Foo Fighters - The Pretender
Arctic Monkeys - When the Sun Goes Down :love:

There you go little old man :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Azkalwhite wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:16 am :lol: Of course it was tongue in cheek you daft so and so, I would never wish to offend Mrs 64, but I do want to see video evidence of the hat draw ;-)

BTW I think you may possibly find that it was moi that put up the Dead South on this thread, but no big deal :)
Or was it ?

Apologies Azkal about my mistake, why did i think it was Faaip :?

Now then Azkal do you want footage of Mrs 64's silver hat (just purchased for an forthcoming wedding) or would you prefer Pontus Jansson's magic hat :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Btw when choosing my nominations I tend to ignore much of the acquired artists I enjoy such as Robert Wyatt, Soft Machine, Antony & the Johnsons, Wishbone Ash, Wally, Little Feet, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Hold Steady, Radiohead, Tom Waits plus there are all the soul/jazz/r&b stuff that are more or less a no, no ! Shame as I love soul music 8-)
The Stones, Kate Bush, Beatles, Bowie, Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye don't go down well with everybody so choosing songs are a bit of a lottery to be honest

I may go with a complete set of acquired stuff in one of the rounds just to prove my point, also would give everyone a chance to shine :rol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:08 am The observant ones amongst you may have noticed that yet again Hector has not got a song in the semi's.... never has, probably never will, nobody likes my songs, I think it is a conspiracy, is it coz I's fat? nobody cares, here I am brain the size of a planet and no one like my songs, I think I will go and wash my head in a bucket of water, that should help me feel a bit more wretched........ ruffin chuffin rastardlys

;-)
I've had one song in the semis ...I think. Actually one song I nominated in poll 1 knocked out in round 1 or 2 actually got to the final in poll 4 nominated by someone else ...

...agree mate massive conspiracy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"