Summer Transfers and Squad Discussion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Summer Transfers and Squad Discussion

Post by 1964white »

A year late :roll:
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Summer Transfers and Squad Discussion (Kyle Bartley exclusive )

Post by Clive »

Phil Hay couldn't wait to get back to the office and write up his scoop...

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/billywhiz1.jpg
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Clive wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:44 pm Another pathetic defeat so they leak it to Billy Whizz that they're after Kyle Bartley to stop the atmosphere next week being totally toxic.
That was my thought exactly. Coincidence that the story came out the same day as a horrible loss?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Clive wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:44 pm Another pathetic defeat so they leak it to Billy Whizz that they're after Kyle Bartley to stop the atmosphere next week being totally toxic.
My thoughts too. It reminds me of when Cellino pretended to be interested in signing Becchio to get the fans on side.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Clive wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 pm Phil Hay couldn't wait to get back to the office and write up his scoop...

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/billywhiz1.jpg
The Bartley info came from the Swansea end.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gandalf wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:55 pm The Bartley info came from the Swansea end.
:clap:
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Kyle Bartley would be a huge step in the right direction (if there's any foundation in the rumour?). We never adequately replaced him, Taylor, Green or Wood and it told. Getting him, and getting rid of PH, would go a long way to getting a lot of fans back onside. Add in a striker and a keeper and we wouldn't be too far away, imo
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Until the next manager split the fan base again ....

only thing that will get the fans back on board will be a winning streak and some semblance of success, and Heck has as much chance of that right now as the next manager we get in ...unless it's Rowatt who's good.

Need Derby to lose next week or he could be a prem manager next season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:17 pm Until the next manager split the fan base again ....

only thing that will get the fans back on board will be a winning streak and some semblance of success, and Heck has as much chance of that right now as the next manager we get in ...unless it's Rowatt who's good.

Need Derby to lose next week or he could be a prem manager next season
Managers always do, mate, but I've seen nothing to suggest Heck can be a success here. Had Barnsley in relegation trouble and, had he had more time here, would have had us in the same position. What's our form position under him? 19th or 20th? He ain't the one.

I would like to see Rowatt here too, by the way
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Barnsley are perennially poor though with little money to threaten anything bar the relegation zone...L1 team for me at best with the odd foray higher with a little inspiration.

League one is tough though, the EFL is competitive right through the divisions.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

What do you believe must be invested to get the players in enabling us to challenge for promotion next season?

When I read about the rumoured 4 million for this serie B striker I feel very disenchanted. 4 million for a
guy with an average record, where one can at best hope he will be better than his record and the fee suggests.
4 million wasted if it doesn`t work out. Why not invest 7-8 million in a more known and proven striker?
When did we last time invest more than 4 million for a player?

If we need 4 quality players coming in I would think that 15-20 million will be necessary to get them at least.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

That's a fair point re Barnsley, but what have you seen in him since he's been here to suggest he can move us forward? I've not seen a lot of us under him, partly by choice and partly through not having Saturdays free, but the bulk of what I read and here suggests he is completely out of his depth, devoid of inspiration and blames all but himself for failings. Hardly inspires much confidence
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Barnsley have earned more points under Morais than Heck has here in the same time. I think that puts any remaining myths and excuses for PH to bed.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

SG90 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:54 pm Barnsley have earned more points under Morais than Heck has here in the same time. I think that puts any remaining myths and excuses for PH to bed.
Wasn't aware of that, he's worse than I thought.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

fred wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:46 pm What do you believe must be invested to get the players in enabling us to challenge for promotion next season?

When I read about the rumoured 4 million for this serie B striker I feel very disenchanted. 4 million for a
guy with an average record, where one can at best hope he will be better than his record and the fee suggests.
4 million wasted if it doesn`t work out. Why not invest 7-8 million in a more known and proven striker?
When did we last time invest more than 4 million for a player?

If we need 4 quality players coming in I would think that 15-20 million will be necessary to get them at least.
I dont think huge sums need to.be invested, good scouting is whats needed.

A good coach allowed to decide who signs and who doesnt.

Its a myth that bargains cant be found in England, the was plenty around last summer we just didnt look.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

SG90 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:54 pm Barnsley have earned more points under Morais than Heck has here in the same time. I think that puts any remaining myths and excuses for PH to bed.
It doesn`t. You may like it or not, but it is a fact that, taking ALL aspects into account, you are wrong.
Did you listen to what Barnsley fans had to say in regard to Morais before the win against Brentford?

I`m hoping more and more that Heck stays, just to prove some who believe to know more than they do or can, wrong. :twisted:

Have you watched the post-Norwich press conference of Heck?
He claims to know exactly what the team needs and this knowledge he knows with certainty and that gives him a good feeing. No
not joking...
The problem in my eyes: he believes that the team/squad need a radical change of mentality. I believe this is why a new coach
usually has a positive influence by just being a new face. I`m asking myself if such a mentality change needs any time to being installed or install itself.
I find it hard to believe that it is something that takes time. If he can`t install this change by now, why should he in future. (Of course
provided such a change is necessary at all.)

PS: Don`t want this thread to turn into a Heck thread...
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:20 pm I dont think huge sums need to.be invested, good scouting is whats needed.

A good coach allowed to decide who signs and who doesnt.

Its a myth that bargains cant be found in England, the was plenty around last summer we just didnt look.
Do we have good scouting? Do we have a good coach? Can you name possible bargains (can our scouts)? (This question I asked the first time you mentioned bargains. Usually more than one club will be interested in such bargains, wages making the difference in most cases. We have a salary-cap of around 15`000. To little to lure good bargains I`m afraid.)
It hasn`t worked the last 10+ years (not investing serious, not crazy!, money), why should it now?
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

fred wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 pm Do we have good scouting? Do we have a good coach? Can you name possible bargains (can our scouts)? (This question I asked the first time you mentioned bargains. Usually more than one club will be interested in such bargains, wages making the difference in most cases. We have a salary-cap of around 15`000. To little to lure good bargains I`m afraid.)
It hasn`t worked the last 10+ years (not investing serious, not crazy!, money), why should it now?
I think you've misunderstood the definition of a bargain...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

fred wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 pm Do we have good scouting? Do we have a good coach? Can you name possible bargains (can our scouts)? (This question I asked the first time you mentioned bargains. Usually more than one club will be interested in such bargains, wages making the difference in most cases. We have a salary-cap of around 15`000. To little to lure good bargains I`m afraid.)
You know my opinion on the coach.

As for scouts i dont know lol, the youth teams have done so well so we do to a degree have good scouts.

Yeah i can name some who were available last summer.
Marcus Maddison- Pboro winger, 12 goals 23 assists just 1 league below. Was available for £1mil all summer till he signed a new deal end of August.

Bradley Dack- Blackburn midfielder scored 16 goals for them to earn promotion, cost Blackburn £750k.

Ollie Watkins- Cost Brentford £1.8mil, 10goals 4 assists and likely to be a Prem player next season.

Harlee Dean- Birmingham cb cost £2mil, one of the few to earn any credit from Blues fans this season.

Cant imagine Blackburn, Peterborough and Brentford offer higher wages then us, if they do then thats very poor. Birmingham may have but reports put Dean's wages at about £10k a week.

Dont claim to be a footballing oracle but i keep a vague eye on lower leagues, the first 3 have been standouts in them for years, weren't secrets.

Surely our scouting team must have known?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

danhirons wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:58 pm I think you've misunderstood the definition of a bargain...
Then please explain...such comments are a waste of time.