The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The Music Discussion Thread

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:23 pm They were very good mate, 8.5/10, they lost points for too long a break between songs, stifled the atmosphere somewhat.

The venue, 3/10, would have to be someone I desperately wanted to see before I'd go there again
Was it at a fleapit in Leicester ?
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 am Was it at a fleapit in Leicester ?
TBH, it's normally the type of venue I like to see bands, small intimate with a bar, basically a big old pub. This one had a good sound, hence the 3 points, but they ran out of draught beer when we arrived, the Guinness was dire, the room was extremely narrow, a low stage so you could only just see the heads of the group and the toilets were up by the stage in a room that was too narrow already, which meant a lot of people toing and froing past one another.

Another positive was the second support, we caught the last number of the first support, sounded like a Levellers cover but the second support were a local band who must have been together years, the vocalist was excellent, she had a Grace Slick, Elin Larsson feel to her voice. The Brandy Thieves very good they were.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:24 am TBH, it's normally the type of venue I like to see bands, small intimate with a bar, basically a big old pub. This one had a good sound, hence the 3 points
Loved those type of pub venues following Wally & Be-Bop Deluxe in their early days during the 70's
gessa wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:24 ambut they ran out of draught beer when we arrived, the Guinness was dire, the room was extremely narrow, a low stage so you could only just see the heads of the group and the toilets were up by the stage in a room that was too narrow already, which meant a lot of people toing and froing past one another
Sounds like the majority of football grounds
gessa

Post by gessa »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:44 am Caught these guys while on holiday recently, Mrs NW even got herself a signed cd afterwards! - the classical vocals were beautiful....I can take or leave the Coldplay bit but it did work.....

Well mate, I've played this 5 times now and I like it more each time, gets under your skin, so to speak.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:52 pm Well mate, I've played this 5 times now and I like it more each time, gets under your skin, so to speak.
Glad you like it mate. Lady’s vocals were just as impressive live, beautiful.
gessa

Post by gessa »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:10 pm Glad you like it mate. Lady’s vocals were just as impressive live, beautiful.

Hair's standing on the back of the neck, I'd imagine mate.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm Hair's standing on the back of the neck, I'd imagine mate.
Indeed, the sort of performance that just draws you in and makes you listen, full of emotion and subtlety.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

A Floyd day with eight albums of their 13 I own on my playlist

MY TOP FIVE (can change as the years roll on)

Meddle
Atom Heart Mother
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Obscured by Clouds

Animals
Relics
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

No idea what my favourite Floyd song is, far too many great classics, can change from day to day

Floyd facts

Atom Heart Mother was Floyd's first No.1 album

Dark Side Of The Moon never made the UK No.1 spot even though the album is one of the best selling albums of all-time.

Dark Side Of The Moon was the first No.1 album for Floyd in the USA after their first seven albums failed to make the Top 40 where as all their albums prior to DSOTM made the Top 10 in the UK

The Division Bell reach No.1 in every country that produces charts

The Division Bell was my BEST SELLING ALBUM when I owned a music shop :-D

Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) was Floyd's only No.1 single in the UK in 1979 twelve years after the Top 20 hit singles 'Arnold Layne' & 'See Emily Play' in 1967

By 2013 Pink Floyd had sold 250 million records world wide
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:20 pm A Floyd day with eight albums of their 13 I own on my playlist

MY TOP FIVE (can change as the years roll on)

Meddle
Atom Heart Mother
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Obscured by Clouds

Animals
Relics
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

No idea what my favourite Floyd song is, far too many great classics, can change from day to day

Floyd facts

Atom Heart Mother was Floyd's first No.1 album

Dark Side Of The Moon never made the UK No.1 spot even though the album is one of the best selling albums of all-time.

Dark Side Of The Moon was the first No.1 album for Floyd in the USA after their first seven albums failed to make the Top 40 where as all their albums prior to DSOTM made the Top 10 in the UK

The Division Bell reach No.1 in every country that produces charts

The Division Bell was my BEST SELLING ALBUM when I owned a music shop :-D

Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) was Floyd's only No.1 single in the UK in 1979 twelve years after the Top 20 hit singles 'Arnold Layne' & 'See Emily Play' in 1967

By 2013 Pink Floyd had sold 250 million records world wide
64 - a tricky one, given their stellar back catalogue, but I would go:

1. Wish you Were Here
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. Animals
4. The Wall
5. The Division Bell

(I would confess to not really being a fan of their early offerings - some of it was just a bit too out there for me)

Favourite Floyd song - Shine on you Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Pink Floyd albums ?

Post by The Subhuman »

I think Pulse takes a lot of beating now ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
hector

Post by hector »

I am in the process of downloading them all again...

My 1tb external hard drive that I use for backup, was knocked off the table by my dog, and now does not want to play... My whole music collection, and all my hypnotherapy scripts, audio recordings, adn background music, my photo's from the last 10 years, and Tv programs and films... all gone.

before it packed up completely I was lucky enough to rescue my accounts and books for my business.

I like all the early Floyd, but Division bell gets the most play time in my house.... (at the moment).
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 pm 64 - a tricky one, given their stellar back catalogue, but I would go:

1. Wish you Were Here
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. Animals
4. The Wall
5. The Division Bell

(I would confess to not really being a fan of their early offerings - some of it was just a bit too out there for me)

Favourite Floyd song - Shine on you Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
Wish You Were Here was in my top two, could change tomorrow. I played WYWH to death when it was first released in 1975

I'm surprised no one has nominated Shine On You Crazy Diamond in the Mega Song Poll
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

oh for f**k sake ...Rotten luck wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Actually that's not true ....of course I'd wish that on my worse enemy. Still rotten luck
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:41 pm I think Pulse takes a lot of beating now ...
Their live set mate

Pulse has the distinction of reaching the No.1 spot in every country that produces charts, nine out of ten apart from France.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:52 pm Their live set mate

Pulse has the distinction of reaching the No.1 spot in every country that produces charts, nine out of ten apart from France.
Spookily, I only just picked a CD copy of this, in mint condition for a £1 at a car boot yesterday morning
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:45 pm I am in the process of downloading them all again...

My 1tb external hard drive that I use for backup, was knocked off the table by my dog, and now does not want to play... My whole music collection, and all my hypnotherapy scripts, audio recordings, adn background music, my photo's from the last 10 years, and Tv programs and films... all gone.

before it packed up completely I was lucky enough to rescue my accounts and books for my business.

I like all the early Floyd, but Division bell gets the most play time in my house.... (at the moment).
That's very unfortunate Hector, I suspect you were barking mad :dog:

I don't have that problem as I rarely download, in fact I can't recall the last song/album I downloaded. All albums physically sitting there in alphabetical order on the shelves or in various cupboards (would have to be or I would never find anything), much of my collection is uploaded on my iPod's although I've got out of the habit of uploading every new purchase these days. I still love the fun of searching albums from various sources, picked up four cracking albums for £8 a few weeks ago
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:00 pm Spookily, I only just picked a CD copy of this, in mint condition for a £1 at a car boot yesterday morning
A bargain cat :tup: cheapest you can buy it on Amazon is a tenner
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sorrow from Pulse played through a proper hi fi is just downright dirty .....Marantz SACD system through Floor standing Mission speakers ...Next door has to go out
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Animals has always been my favorite. Gilmour's playing is monstrously good.