What might have been

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: What might have been

Post by Clive »

weasel wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:13 pm Yes of course he wouldn't but the league matches are of far greater importance. As it was the biggest mistake was bringing Saiz on. TC quite rightly expected the players selected to be good enough to see off a team 2 divisions below that we had already beaten with a weakened team earlier in the season.

Incidentally 5 of the team that started the FA Cup match v Newport also started the League Cup match v Newport. That would have been 6 but for the fact we had sold the back up keeper Green so the new back up keeper Lonerghan played in the FA Cup match. In addition 3 of the remaining 5 players that played in the FA Cup match hadn't been signed when we played the league cup match or they may well have played in that match. The remaining 2 players to play in the FA Cup match were Kalvin Phillips who was a regular starter or used substitute and Sacko who scored v Burnley. Incidentally Stokes started in the League Cup match so it could certainly be argued that we fielded a weaker line up for the league cup match v Newport.

Hardly like he played his first choice XI in any of the other cup matches even when playing Burnley and Leicester so fans knew exactly what to expect.
The team Monk played was ridiculous, Christiansen's was fine and I had no problem with it.

Warnock beat Everton and Spurs in the cups and he gets run down, Grayson got stick for going full strength in the cups even though we were playing Spurs and Man United.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clive wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:36 pmThe team Monk played was ridiculous

Three kids played who had never made the bench previously in a right mish-mash line-up. Long & expensive day to watch that dirge !
Clive wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:36 pm Warnock beat Everton and Spurs in the cups and he gets run down, Grayson got stick for going full strength in the cups even though we were playing Spurs and Man United.
No argument from me they were the only limited enjoyable experiences over the last fifteen years. Add the first time we drew 2-2 at Spurs when Beckford equalised with a penalty in the last minute plus our final league game in League One v Bristol Rovers & that's it as far as our notable achievements are concerned
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:18 pm Three kids played who had never made the bench previously in a right mish-mash line-up. Long & expensive day to watch that dirge !

No argument from me they were the only limited enjoyable experiences over the last fifteen years. Add the first time we drew 2-2 at Spurs when Beckford equalised with a penalty in the last minute plus our final league game in League One v Bristol Rovers & that's it as far as our notable achievements are concerned
I think some of the team who played against Sutton are out of the pro-game now.

I'm Grayson's biggest critic but you have to play your best team in those games. Going full strength in the JPT is another matter, though.

This is the team Grayson played against Carlisle in the JPT in front of a crowd of 13,000. It was what first turned me against him.

Leeds United
01 Ankergren
02 Crowe
06 Naylor
26 Bromby
08 Kilkenny
14 Howson
16 Johnson yellow card
22 Hughes
09 Beckford
13 Grella (Becchio 83)
23 Snodgrass
Substitutes
34 Jones, 17 Michalik, 32 White, 04 Doyle, 10 Becchio
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Clive wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 pm I think some of the team who played against Sutton are out of the pro-game now.

I'm Grayson's biggest critic but you have to play your best team in those games. Going full strength in the JPT is another matter, though.

This is the team Grayson played against Carlisle in the JPT in front of a crowd of 13,000. It was what first turned me against him.

Leeds United
01 Ankergren
02 Crowe
06 Naylor
26 Bromby
08 Kilkenny
14 Howson
16 Johnson yellow card
22 Hughes
09 Beckford
13 Grella (Becchio 83)
23 Snodgrass
Substitutes
34 Jones, 17 Michalik, 32 White, 04 Doyle, 10 Becchio
In fairness a lot of managers pick weakened teams in the early rounds but then when you get to the semi final stages and the potential chance to win the cup they then select a stronger side. Agree 100% that the league though was priority but suppose you have to weigh it up against whether a win at wembley would have given the team a big confidence lift at a crucial time.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

weasel wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:51 am In fairness a lot of managers pick weakened teams in the early rounds but then when you get to the semi final stages and the potential chance to win the cup they then select a stronger side. Agree 100% that the league though was priority but suppose you have to weigh it up against whether a win at wembley would have given the team a big confidence lift at a crucial time.
It was the JPT, the 13,000 crowd says it all.

Putting out such a strong team was as ridiculous as Monk putting out such a weak team form me.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clive wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 pm It was the JPT, the 13,000 crowd says it all.

Putting out such a strong team was as ridiculous as Monk putting out such a weak team form me.
I was one of the 13,000 :P
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

1964white wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:00 pm I was one of the 13,000 :P
Were you one of the 15,000 when we hammered Man United 5-1 in that reserve game?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clive wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:05 pm Were you one of the 15,000 when we hammered Man United 5-1 in that reserve game?
No....haven't done reserve games since the 60'/70's when I was living in Leeds
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

1964white wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:39 pm No....haven't done reserve games since the 60'/70's when I was living in Leeds
It was free, but it was still a good turnout.

Teddy Sheringham opened the scoring for them, then we went on to get 5.