Paul Heckingbottom

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Paul Heckingbottom

Post by Clive »

fred wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:38 pm I won`t call your view in regard to the mentioned the stats idiotic, but simply not valid. How compare coaches based on 6 games against maybe total different opposition, with different squads available etc.?

You call fans who don`t call for Hecks sacking embarassing? Embarassingly idiotic? You dish out, but obviously can`t take it you are called embarassing (just in slightly more direct words)?

Whatever, no need for verbal fights between Leeds fans. Just can`t join in to some of your opinions you believe to be without a doubt true. You might be right, but that could only be proven if Heckingbottom is given a reasonable chance.
I can dish it out and I can take it. I was just making a point.

We had a worse squad under Darko. You can't judge a manager on 6 games, but he was so there it is.

Did you support Darko, Christiansen, Rosler in the same way you're supporting Heckingbottom?
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Clive wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:46 pm I can dish it out and I can take it. I was just making a point.

We had a worse squad under Darko. You can't judge a manager on 6 games, but he was so there it is.

Did you support Darko, Christiansen, Rosler in the same way you're supporting Heckingbottom?
Had another impression in regard to you being able to take what you dish out. But no need for verbal fighting (that being your
point I assume.)

Darko was judged after 6 games. If I understand you correct, you find that was wrong? If so
why judge Heckingbottom on the short period he has been in charge (with many players missing)?
You say our squad was worse under Darko. Even if: was the league equally strong, the opponents of comparable quality?

I don`t support Heckingbotton as you suggest I do. I just say: if he`s sacked then only if his successor is better, that is: the successor
promises to be better. (Better based on the history of the new coach.)

I didn`t support Darko as he clearly had no proven record and seemed to have been appointed by Cellino without any reason (He could hardly speak English.). That said: it was unfair to sack him after that short time. (No coach can install his ideas of how to play in a couple of weeks.) But the Graz fans where jubilant that they had got rid of him.

Uwe Roesler was given to little time as all the coaches under Cellino. All hired and fired by Cellino based on little reasoned ground. This seeming to be true in regard to Heckingbottom also now. (Why was TC sacked? Because he had proven to be too bad, underachieving in the eyes of Rags/Orta, or because Radz/Orta where desperate to clutch onto any straw hoping against all odds that we could get into the play-offs?)

I thought Christansen was quite o.k. to be honest. (In hindsight always too easy to see where he decided probably wrong etc.) Him being sacked made no sense in my eyes as Hecks resent record at Barnsley couldn`t have been much worse nor was it realistic to hope a new coach could achieve a top 6 spot. (The best coach wouldn`t have succeded, that was pur deluded wishfull thinking and doesn`t look good in regard to the judgement qualities of Radz/Orta.)

I can`t warm to Heckingbotton until now. If a clearly better proven coach is available I would tend to be in favour of him being sacked as soon as possible.
If not: why sack him and replace him with another `hoping to get lucky` appointment? You certainly would agree on this latter view, that sacking Heck would only make sense if the successor would promise , based on his achievements and experience, to be more successfull, than Heckingbottom promises to be.
And should he be sacked without having a firm eye on his successor already, or should he be sacked as soon as possible regardless if any better coach is in sight and willing to take the Job?
Last edited by fred on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

fred wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 am Had another impression in regard to you being able to take what you dish out. But no need for verbal fighting (that being your
point I assume.)

Darko was judged after 6 games. If I understand you correct, you find that was wrong? If so
why judge Heckingbottom on the short period he has been in charge (with many players missing)?
You say our squad was worse under Darko. Even if: was the league equally strong, the opponents of comparable quality?

I don`t support Heckingbotton as you suggest I do. I just say: if he`s sacked then only if his successor is better, that is: the successor
promises to be better. (Better based on the history of the new coach.)

I didn`t support Darko as he clearly had no proven record and seemed to have been appointed by Cellino without any reason (He could hardly speak English.). That said: it was unfair to sack him after that short time. (No coach can install his ideas of how to play in a couple of weeks.) But the Graz fans where jubilant that they had got rid of him.

Uwe Roesler was given to little time as all the coaches under Cellino. As all coaches hired and fired by Cellino an appointment based on little reasoned ground, this seeming to be true in regard to Heckingbottom also. (Why was TC sacked? Because he had proven to be too bad, unerachieving etc, or because Radz/Orta where desperate to cluch onto strews hoping to get into the play-offs?)

I can`t warm to Heckingbotton until now. If a clearly better proven coach is available I would tend to be in favour of him being sacked.
If not: why sack him and replace him with another `hoping to get lucky` appointment. You certainly would agree on this latter view, or not?
I gave Christiansen a chance because he was an unknown and I liked what I saw at the beginning of the season. Because we started the season strongly, I felt he deserved the chance to finish the season strongly.

I was against Heckingbottom from the start because he was a struggling at Barnsley.

I don't want Heckingbottom sacked and replaced with someone equally as bad, and if that happens I'll be wanting them out from day one, and no doubt you'll be on my case about that.

It's ridiculous logic to suggest we keep a hopeless manager because we might get one as bad. It's like saying don't repair a puncture because you might get another one.

I've been following football for 27 years, I've seen the good the bad and the average and I know the difference between a decent manager and a hopeless loser who can blag it.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Think the bottom line with Heckingbottom is the stats are damning.

There is no way to gloss over the facts.

He has taken 18 points from a possible 84,
28 games 16 defeats, 9 draws, 3 wins=18points

Do you know which club or manager have done worse during the same period?

None.

Burton have 19 points
Sunderland have 24.

And i havent worked it out but Barnsley do have a better points per game without him then they did with him this season.

28 games is a very reasonable time to judge a manager on and enough games to see some improvement.

That record is indefensible, you cant be unlucky or blame an injury crisis or crucial moments for 28 games, if you have that sort of record it is very difficult to form any other opinion then totally out of his depth.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Although as Fred said the next manager has to be better.

He has to have a record to look at and say "yes he has proven himself here here and here".

He has to be someone who will use the squad in the righr way, who will buy into the original blueprint from the summer, who will blood the kids and copy the tactical route of all age groups.

We all know what that is and Radz must go back to it.

For that reason he has to avoid all the usual suspects, Mick McCarthy, Alan Pardew etc.

Old fashioned English manager isn't whats needed imo.

But unproven lower league manager isnt the answer either.

Hecky is a mix of both and he was wrong.

We need a manager to unite the fanbase again, to unite the players.

A manager who we as fans can look at and say "well he did well here and he plays good football etc etc lets give him a chance".

There are decent managers out there

And i would be inclined to go foreign.

The DOF, the playing style, its setup for a continental coach.

Not a Mick McCarthy yelling "Kick it, now Kick it arder".

Made my choices known but theres all sorts
Slaven Billic
Oscar Garcia
Even Hannes Wolf, young coach well thought of in Germany, success at Dortmund as a youth coach, took Stuttgart back to the Bundesliga at 1st time of asking, a historically big club with a demanding fan base.

So they are out there, but Radz must get it right this time.
Signed

King Cjay

Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

Cjay wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:30 am Think the bottom line with Heckingbottom is the stats are damning.

There is no way to gloss over the facts.

He has taken 18 points from a possible 84,
28 games 16 defeats, 9 draws, 3 wins=18points

Do you know which club or manager have done worse during the same period?

None.

Burton have 19 points
Sunderland have 24.

And i havent worked it out but Barnsley do have a better points per game without him then they did with him this season.

28 games is a very reasonable time to judge a manager on and enough games to see some improvement.

That record is indefensible, you cant be unlucky or blame an injury crisis or crucial moments for 28 games, if you have that sort of record it is very difficult to form any other opinion then totally out of his depth.
I can't understand why people keep making excuses for him.

Can you imagine if Arsenal had sacked Arsene Wenger and replaced him with Paul Clement and he brought his Swansea form to Arsenal?
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Can't argue with the stats and we will always have differing opinions on a managers tactics, sub decisions etc, but we can only guess about the key points
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Ooops, I was going to say....Would TC have done any better, we don't know, not much evidence to suggest he would have. Who out there could come in and do anything better with what imo is a poor squad of players, I can't think of anyone within our budget who would.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Clive wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:48 am I can't understand why people keep making excuses for him.

Can you imagine if Arsenal had sacked Arsene Wenger and replaced him with Paul Clement and he brought his Swansea form to Arsenal?
Or if Arsenal sacked Arsene Wenger for Paul Heckingbotty and he bought his Barnsley form with him :roflmao: .
If this was another club , we'd all be laughing our socks off . Only Alan Pardew has probably had less positive effect on a club this season , and that's arguable . ....maybe on par perphaps ...thing is WBA have realised ( too late ) , Leeds appear not to have realised as yet . Those arguing he's playing games to see who is or is not an option next season - I think its pissing in the wind - he can't win games , devoid of idea's for this level .......... may have been unlucky with injuries etc and a poor squad , BUT , you would think even then some results may have gone his way out of all the games played . If this is an Orta idea (PH) , as is much of the squad ( I reckon its he who told Radz its a top 6 squad ) , then Orta should go too as he clearly doesn't know the game enough .
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I’m driving passed Barnsley later today if he needs a lift, if he wants to take all his trophies and awards we can use the Jag but if he wants to take all his Barnsley memorabilia we can use the wife’s people carrier with the seats folded flat
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Say a big hello to 'ok Mick on the way by for us , cheers.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Is he still here!!!

Listening to his press conferences almost sends me to sleep, how we can expect him to motivate the squad is beyond me.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Leeds United boss Paul Heckingbottom told BBC Radio Leeds:

"In the second half, we wanted more control of the game but we couldn't get that goal to get us back in it.

"Bailey made big saves when we got stretched and the young defenders, Tom Pearce, Paudie O'Connor and Matthew Pennington were excellent.

"There may be more players put in before the end of the season as we've said we want to carry a smaller squad next season

Could we get away with a smaller squad?

More worrying., it looks like he's planning to be here.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 am Leeds United boss Paul Heckingbottom told BBC Radio Leeds:

"In the second half, we wanted more control of the game but we couldn't get that goal to get us back in it.

"Bailey made big saves when we got stretched and the young defenders, Tom Pearce, Paudie O'Connor and Matthew Pennington were excellent.

"There may be more players put in before the end of the season as we've said we want to carry a smaller squad next season

Could we get away with a smaller squad?

More worrying., it looks like he's planning to be here.
Smaller squad? That seems to contradict whatsisname's statement that any season ticket money will be invested in transfer fees and wages. Though in reality those were always weasel words as our wage bills easily swallows up any season ticket sales.

Though maybe they mean a more expensive but smaller squad - I do have my doubts about that.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

small squad doesn't contradict the season ticket money being invested into players - you could easily sell two players for 3 mill and buy one for 6 mill (for example)

definitely need a smaller squad - too many players that are not good enough in the squad
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Can't we just get rid of him now? Why bother? Unless the club are deluded enough to keep him on next season. Bilic, Garcia, Wolf all available before they go elsewhere. No to McCarthy.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:41 am Although as Fred said the next manager has to be better.

He has to have a record to look at and say "yes he has proven himself here here and here".

He has to be someone who will use the squad in the righr way, who will buy into the original blueprint from the summer, who will blood the kids and copy the tactical route of all age groups.

We all know what that is and Radz must go back to it.

For that reason he has to avoid all the usual suspects, Mick McCarthy, Alan Pardew etc.

Old fashioned English manager isn't whats needed imo.

But unproven lower league manager isnt the answer either.

Hecky is a mix of both and he was wrong.

We need a manager to unite the fanbase again, to unite the players.

A manager who we as fans can look at and say "well he did well here and he plays good football etc etc lets give him a chance".

There are decent managers out there

And i would be inclined to go foreign.

The DOF, the playing style, its setup for a continental coach.

Not a Mick McCarthy yelling "Kick it, now Kick it arder".

Made my choices known but theres all sorts
Slaven Billic
Oscar Garcia
Even Hannes Wolf, young coach well thought of in Germany, success at Dortmund as a youth coach, took Stuttgart back to the Bundesliga at 1st time of asking, a historically big club with a demanding fan base.

So they are out there, but Radz must get it right this time.
These are exactly my sentiments.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 pm Can't we just get rid of him now? Why bother? Unless the club are deluded enough to keep him on next season. Bilic, Garcia, Wolf all available before they go elsewhere. No to McCarthy.
Thought we should give him till the end of the season, changed my mind now, needs to go, Monday morning.

Biggest worry is he will scrape a few wins against crap sides and that'll save him. :(
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Clive wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:48 am I can't understand why people keep making excuses for him.

I am.

Been chuckling all day.

Its funny.

Who would replace a top 10 manager with a bottom 4 . . . . What sort of , oh, wait :cry:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Signed

King Cjay