Players to go.......

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Players to go.......

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:02 am Perhaps just getting the 4 may improve the form of the one's with potential.
That is what I'd be relying on and I think it's realistic enough.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 am That is what I'd be relying on and I think it's realistic enough.
Definitely mate, players like Phillips have shown they can do but unfortunately not on many occasions, better players could bring out more consistency and take his game to the next level, the ability is there.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:43 am If Radz had any nous he should have seen we were three players away from a challenging promotion side last season

Had he stuck with Monk, did his utmost to retain Wood, Taylor, Bartley, Green, even Doukara (whom put in a right shift in for Leeds last season) then brought in three quality players we were lacking we'd probably be in the top six now.
No such luck Radz allowed top hard-working players to leave & replaced them with nobodies using a scattergun approach which clearly hasn't worked, now we are paying for their inept business procedures
Monk chose to leave. Taylor was going regardless. 15 mill for Chris wood was a no brainer. Doukara was so average no better than alioski. Bartley didn't want to stay as he was in the plans of swanseas manager. Green yes I agree with you. I also agree with you on the scatter gun approach which has backfired and clearly hasn't worked. The recruitment just seemed to have no plan whatsoever. Signing random players in random positions, leaving us really weak at cb and cf. And then spending 4 million on forshaw. It all just seems so random
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 am No point if the replacements are no better, and certainly no point if they are worse.
They'd find it difficult to find worse than O'FuckingKane :)
HE MUST GO - TOP OF THE LIST , Lonergren as well .
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

danhirons wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 am Monk chose to leave. Taylor was going regardless. 15 mill for Chris wood was a no brainer. Doukara was so average no better than alioski. Bartley didn't want to stay as he was in the plans of swanseas manager. Green yes I agree with you. I also agree with you on the scatter gun approach which has backfired and clearly hasn't worked. The recruitment just seemed to have no plan whatsoever. Signing random players in random positions, leaving us really weak at cb and cf. And then spending 4 million on forshaw. It all just seems so random
Exactly. You just have to think how putting Green, Bartley and Wood into this side would have improved that and as such we wouldn't be suggesting getting rid of nearly 20 players.

I have often said that in the summer we improved the areas we were weak on, namely pace and goal threat from midfield, with Saiz and Alioski but then weakened the areas we were strong at.

There is no doubt that there is talent in the squad but it just needs the right manager to bring it out and 2 or 3 key signings. For a while TC did an amazing job in getting the best out of the squad so it shows that there is the talent there.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

gessa wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:02 am Your right Harry, keeper, striker, someone to play along side Forshaw and a CB would make a big difference, add a full back and wide player and we'd be there but obviously if they are all of quality, getting 4-6 new players in and they all work is a tough ask but it's what's needed. Perhaps just getting the 4 may improve the form of the one's with potential.
It can work - 91/92 Wilco bought in Dorigo , Wallace ,Hodge , Newsome , Wetherall and the Wallace Leeds didn't use ( Ray ) - so with the right players it can work . The side had a bloody good spine to it anyway which THIS one now doesn't . Don't forget also this season a lot of new signings and they hit the ground running , they just got found out very quickly .
Pissed away this transfer window really when a couple of positions could have been sorted rather than gamble on youth players who may or may not do anything in a few years time . Orta isn't Arsene Wenger , though I think he thinks he is.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:27 am Exactly. You just have to think how putting Green, Bartley and Wood into this side would have improved that and as such we wouldn't be suggesting getting rid of nearly 20 players.

I have often said that in the summer we improved the areas we were weak on, namely pace and goal threat from midfield, with Saiz and Alioski but then weakened the areas we were strong at.

There is no doubt that there is talent in the squad but it just needs the right manager to bring it out and 2 or 3 key signings. For a while TC did an amazing job in getting the best out of the squad so it shows that there is the talent there.
Even though Saiz had a poor game last night, he is the only signing worth keeping

The rest are a waste of space
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clacton White wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:11 pm It can work - 91/92 Wilco bought in Dorigo , Wallace ,Hodge , Newsome , Wetherall and the Wallace Leeds didn't use ( Ray ) - so with the right players it can work . The side had a bloody good spine to it anyway which THIS one now doesn't . Don't forget also this season a lot of new signings and they hit the ground running , they just got found out very quickly .
Pissed away this transfer window really when a couple of positions could have been sorted rather than gamble on youth players who may or may not do anything in a few years time . Orta isn't Arsene Wenger , though I think he thinks he is.
My sentiments entirely CW

How often have i banged on about the spine of our team, we were almost there last season, now we have no backbone whatsoever, we are now as brittle as a packet of crisps

Yet another re-building process on the way but how can we trust what Radz/Orta have to offer ?

Much of the same I suspect :(
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ivan Cavaleiro had a more ineffective first season in this league then Alioski, as i keep saying he gets judged far to harshly by some. Grot and Ekuban have all the physical attributes and are worth another season atleast. Anita is a midfielder being asked to play full back.

The rest are meh.

Lassie is going anyways,.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Too many people are too quick to write off the signings. Take Lasogga as an example - first couple of games and everyone was raving about him, next few games and everyone was saying he was unfit and useless, not trying etc, then a few games where he scores and he is 'better than Wood,' and now it is back to him being useless. The talent is there in this squad, yes it needs to be added too, but it is all about getting the best out of the players, you can't simply get rid of them all, sign a whole new team and expect it to click. Add Saiz and Alioski to Monk's team and they'd have likely given us that bit extra to make the play-offs. Add Green, Bartley, Taylor and Wood to this year's team and we have the spine that was missing and again we probably comfortably make the play-offs.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Clacton White wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 am They'd find it difficult to find worse than O'FuckingKane :)
HE MUST GO - TOP OF THE LIST , Lonergren as well .
LOL I'm sure we've had worse.

Maybe the issue is not so much O'Kane's ability or lack thereof, but his status as a regular starter. Bring in a few new players so that O'Kane is more of a back-up player and in that role he'd be fine. And the same could be said of others in the team.

Let's say we get a quality keeper, striker, centre back and a box to box midfielder in the Bowyer mould - obviously not as good, but that sort of player filled with energy who can also score come crucial goals.

Then we'd have

Goal Keeper - new

Right back - Ayling or Berardi who I think would suffice in a better team

Centre back - Jansson and new with Cooper and Pennington as back-up who would be good enough for that role

Left back - Berardi or De Bock who I think would suffice in a better team

Defensive midfielders - Forshaw and a developing Vieira

Attacking midfielders - Saiz, Hernandez and new

That would mean the likes of Alioski, Dallas, Phillips, O'Kane as back-ups who would be good enough for that role

Strikers - New

I'd also like to see a back-up striker brought in and Roofe would be next in line, again good enough to fill that role.

There are probably a couple of other fringe players who could add a bit more depth to the squad and some youngsters too.

Four key players brought in taking the pressure off players who are currently regular starters and not performing well enough but who would suffice as depth players and who would benefit from having extra quality around them.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

1964white wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 am Sorry Harry I'm fed up of seeing these fake footballers in the white shirt of Leeds, they are no better than League One standard although if we retain this soft-bellied bunch, League One is where we'll be playing our football come the 2019/20 season.

Just watching players amble around as if it doesn't matter is galling for us fans who put their hard-earned cash into the club. When Phillips is laughing after making a series of errors says it all what I think about these players. If I was managing someone like KP I would enjoy wiping that silly grin off his face.

Little boy lost Anita, the toffee from Everton, Captain Chaos, Sack of spuds, Ekk I can't score goals should be nowhere near a Leeds first XI, unfortunately we are lumbered with them & the rest.

This squad of players is as bad as any previous bunch since were were relegated from the prem.
We had a much better team in League One !

As I've mentioned on other threads Radz & Orta are to blame for the shambles what is Leeds United
We won 3 in 16, including 4 defeats in a row without scoring with that team in League 1 and still went up. Was it a bad team? Of course not, the problem was the manager.

Stop blaming the players, stop being nasty to the players, and blame the manager who openly stated he hates Leeds.

If the squad is as bad as you say it is then you owe Thomas Christiansen a massive apology.

Or is it that the squad isn't as bad as the awful Heckingbottom is making them look, and as he's blaming them you're allowing yourself to be influenced by him?

It's not our job to worry about what players need to go, that's up to the manager. This current manager has to go first.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

weasel wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:25 pm Too many people are too quick to write off the signings. Take Lasogga as an example - first couple of games and everyone was raving about him, next few games and everyone was saying he was unfit and useless, not trying etc, then a few games where he scores and he is 'better than Wood,' and now it is back to him being useless. The talent is there in this squad, yes it needs to be added too, but it is all about getting the best out of the players, you can't simply get rid of them all, sign a whole new team and expect it to click. Add Saiz and Alioski to Monk's team and they'd have likely given us that bit extra to make the play-offs. Add Green, Bartley, Taylor and Wood to this year's team and we have the spine that was missing and again we probably comfortably make the play-offs.
I've never known a moderator talk so much sense.

You see so many people say you have to give managers time, yet they won't give players time.

Once someone decides a player is no good at Leeds, that's it, it doesn't matter how well they do.

Sean Gregan is the best example of that. He came here as a midfielder but his legs had gone and he was poor in his first few games. Blackwell switched him to defence and he was immense and a big reason why we got to the play-off final. He went to Oldham and every time we played them Beckford wouldn't get a sniff and they turned us over. Ask a lot of Leeds fans and they'll tell you he's one of the worst players we've ever had, I think he's one of the best since we got relegated from the Prem.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Clive wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:41 am Sean Gregan is the best example of that. He came here as a midfielder but his legs had gone and he was poor in his first few games. Blackwell switched him to defence and he was immense and a big reason why we got to the play-off final. He went to Oldham and every time we played them Beckford wouldn't get a sniff and they turned us over. Ask a lot of Leeds fans and they'll tell you he's one of the worst players we've ever had, I think he's one of the best since we got relegated from the Prem.
f**k me - your true colours coming out now, and your lack of football knowledge. Gregan couldn't run, and couldn't turn. All he could do was pull shirts, foul and bully people. Him and Butler were possibly the worst pairing I had the displeasure to watch in 55 years of following Leeds. The bit in bold, I admit, you got right. Watching those two against a 17 year old Theo Walcott, was like the dictionary definition of "Unfair". I think I'd rather have Popey and Hay as a centre half pairing.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:21 pm f**k me - your true colours coming out now, and your lack of football knowledge. Gregan couldn't run, and couldn't turn. All he could do was pull shirts, foul and bully people. Him and Butler were possibly the worst pairing I had the displeasure to watch in 55 years of following Leeds. The bit in bold, I admit, you got right. Watching those two against a 17 year old Theo Walcott, was like the dictionary definition of "Unfair". I think I'd rather have Popey and Hay as a centre half pairing.
Ha ha :-D

Gregan had a turn of an oil tanker. Butler was just a bully :tup:

I was at ER that night when Theo ran rings round the pair of them !
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:30 pm LOL I'm sure we've had worse.

Maybe the issue is not so much O'Kane's ability or lack thereof, but his status as a regular starter. Bring in a few new players so that O'Kane is more of a back-up player and in that role he'd be fine. And the same could be said of others in the team.

Let's say we get a quality keeper, striker, centre back and a box to box midfielder in the Bowyer mould - obviously not as good, but that sort of player filled with energy who can also score come crucial goals.

Then we'd have

Goal Keeper - new

Right back - Ayling or Berardi who I think would suffice in a better team

Centre back - Jansson and new with Cooper and Pennington as back-up who would be good enough for that role

Left back - Berardi or De Bock who I think would suffice in a better team

Defensive midfielders - Forshaw and a developing Vieira

Attacking midfielders - Saiz, Hernandez and new

That would mean the likes of Alioski, Dallas, Phillips, O'Kane as back-ups who would be good enough for that role

Strikers - New

I'd also like to see a back-up striker brought in and Roofe would be next in line, again good enough to fill that role.

There are probably a couple of other fringe players who could add a bit more depth to the squad and some youngsters too.

Four key players brought in taking the pressure off players who are currently regular starters and not performing well enough but who would suffice as depth players and who would benefit from having extra quality around them.
This :tup:

Leon spends good money following Leeds, so I get his frustration, but dumping almost an entire first team squad is not the answer. There are players there with talent who are either being played out of position, or who lack a little consistency, but the football we played in spells this season wasn't a fluke, there's the makings of a good team there with the right additions. Now, whether Radz and Orta can go and get us those players is another question. We don't need to spend mega money, but neither should we be shopping in Aldi. The scatter gun approach is all well and good if you're a Man City with billions, but when funds aren't that plentiful, 1 success in 10 isn't viable nor good business. Get in the players we need (Goalkeeper, Centre Half, Attacking midfielder and Striker), then assess who amongst those already here stays and who is surplus to requirements. All hopefully overseen by someone who isn't Heckingbottom!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:38 pm Ha ha :-D

Gregan had a turn of an oil tanker. Butler was just a bully :tup:

I was at ER that night when Theo ran rings round the pair of them !
In fairness though Walcott was a very quick player who has had a decent career at the top level of the english game, not a player reaching the twilight of his career. Southampton also had a decent team then with players such as Lallana and Beattie who went on to do well in the premier league too.

Defending isn't always about pace bu about reading the game, taking up good positions and if needs be yes bully the striker.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Loans - Lassoga and Pennington I think are on loan so they could maybe be gone though I'd take Lassoga back because he'd at least be a good option off the bench at the worst.

C/DMF - Klich to return, Forshaw to stay, Vierra to progress after a down season

AMF/F Our skill players - Saiz, Hernandez, Roofe and Alioski to stay

CD - Jansson to try to hold onto, Cooper as a bench CD, Shog to the U23's to progress.

CM - Keep Phillips for a while and sell when he's ready, he's not costing us much. Not sure about O'kane but if we get an offer I'd let him move

FB - Beradi to stay and youngsters Denton/Pearce/Coyle to maybe step up soon. I think De Bock needs a move and maybe better under a new manager

GK - Lonners moves on, BPF to stay as 2nd team keeper or back up/bench. f we can sell Felix then all well and good but if not then a better GK coach needs to do some serious work

New CB - forward - Left back (if the kids don't look like progressing) and Goalkeeper should just about do it

Starting left winger is a must too

So add 5, shift 5 and we should be about there
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
johnny wadd
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @jnicholson53

Post by johnny wadd »

get rid of christiansens rubbish + cooper
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Wiedwald, Lonners, Phillips, O'Kane, Sacko, Cibicki,

Then Lassie will go back anyways.

Buy a good goalie, quality cb, Left winger, new striker

Gk-New and BPF
Right back-Berardi and Ayling.
Left back-Pearce and De Bock,
Centre back- Jansson, New, Cooper, Halme.
Dm-Vieira and Anita
Cm-Forshaw,Klich Ideguchi.
Am-Saiz, Roofe Hernandez.
Lw- New, Jack Clarke, Dallas.
Rw Alioski, Jack CLarke, Dallas, Grot.
St- New, Ekuban, Ryan Edmondson, Grot.

Be alright with that aslong as the 4 new players are quality players, not dross, good championship quality. Then happy enough to let some of the young lads be part of the 1st team.

If O'Kane and Philips can get tons of chances without being much good Ideguchi and Klich deserve the same.
Last edited by Cjay on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom