Destroying the Academy

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Destroying the Academy

Post by Ratscoot »

Something I’d not thought about really but is the constant change of manager and his team destroying the Academy and as such stopping kids coming through - Eoghan seems to think so

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... o-14368717
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Destroying the Academy

Post by weasel »

It doesn't matter really cos if they are good enough they will come through. Warnock splashed out £1m on Peltier to play rigthback but then played the emerging Byram there. Same for Cook, Phillips and Vieira if they are good enough they will force their way through. Sounds a bit like sour grapes fro Stokes who presumably wasn't good enough. If anything the constant changing of managers would give a player more chance to impress as if 1 manager didn't rate him the next one might.

I do though think the U23 games are a bit of a joke and not competitive at all.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:37 pm It doesn't matter really cos if they are good enough they will come through. Warnock splashed out £1m on Peltier to play rigthback but then played the emerging Byram there. Same for Cook, Phillips and Vieira if they are good enough they will force their way through. Sounds a bit like sour grapes fro Stokes who presumably wasn't good enough. If anything the constant changing of managers would give a player more chance to impress as if 1 manager didn't rate him the next one might.

Agree for some but theres always the ones that get away, or become disillusioned and leave. My nephew went through from under 6s upto under 10s and left as he got sick of every season the changing styles of play, been in or out of the team, three others did as well, then this season they were all asked to come back as the style of play would suit them better :o :shock:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

That to me is the huge problem I had with them sacking TC and getting a completely different manager style/formation wise. The appointment of TC made perfect sense to me as he was an up and coming manager that had been schooled in the Barcelona way of playing and that was what I thought the club were trying to emulate. Get all the youth sides playing the same way, again the influx of foreign youths especially Spanish made sense, and then they could progress seamlessly into the first team.

Like you say the constant change of style is ridiculous if it impacts the youth sides. I remember Wilko's ten year plan which was to get the youths playing a stylish way which was to some degree at odds to the way the first team played as he had to try to get results with the first team and as such sacrifice the style in favour of results. It would have been interesting to see how well Wilko would have done with his youths that David O'Leary inherited.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

How many good players has the academy/youth system brought out in the last 6 years? L. Cook, C. Taylor, Byram (?)...all others seem at best Championship potential (Viera, Philipps...). A bit poor...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:53 pm That to me is the huge problem I had with them sacking TC and getting a completely different manager style/formation wise. The appointment of TC made perfect sense to me as he was an up and coming manager that had been schooled in the Barcelona way of playing and that was what I thought the club were trying to emulate. Get all the youth sides playing the same way, again the influx of foreign youths especially Spanish made sense, and then they could progress seamlessly into the first team.

Like you say the constant change of style is ridiculous if it impacts the youth sides. I remember Wilko's ten year plan which was to get the youths playing a stylish way which was to some degree at odds to the way the first team played as he had to try to get results with the first team and as such sacrifice the style in favour of results. It would have been interesting to see how well Wilko would have done with his youths that David O'Leary inherited.
First paragraph is the same as what i said in another thread last night.

Sacking TC has bigger implications then just the 1st team.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

weasel wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:37 pm It doesn't matter really cos if they are good enough they will come through. Warnock splashed out £1m on Peltier to play rigthback but then played the emerging Byram there. Same for Cook, Phillips and Vieira if they are good enough they will force their way through. Sounds a bit like sour grapes fro Stokes who presumably wasn't good enough. If anything the constant changing of managers would give a player more chance to impress as if 1 manager didn't rate him the next one might.

It matters who the manager is.

It was two and a half years before Grayson gave an academy player a debut, and then it was Tom Lees who had won Bury's player of the year while out on loan as our defence was a shambles.

Aidy White made his debut under McAllister, then Grayson messed him about and his career never lived up to its potential.

Grayson played teenage midfielder Zac Thompson at right back, yet ignored Sam Byram who broke through under Warnock the summer after. Thompson is now out of the game and Byram is in the Premier League.

You have to wonder how many potentially good players were lost in that period under Grayson, either through become disillusioned, or by clubs seeing that under-performing, lower league Leeds didn't want them and thinking they can't be that good.

We were producing Premier League standard players before Grayson and we have done since.

Heckingbottom reminds me of Grayson, they're the sort of appointment that causes problems right through a club and even splits the fanbase.