Paul Heckingbottom

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Paul Heckingbottom - Press Conference Today

Post by Norm »

Much of the PH story is a bit murky since a year ago. I'm merely stating my preferred way for us and him to improve and avoid more upset.
I'm not making any claims for him because there are none to make - maybe he and the players learn together what can be done. We can't keep on harking back to Christiansen now. I'm sorry he's gone and that he was shabbily treated but thinking back to that is counterproductive. My only concern is that we improve in a reasoned manner and survive OK, getting to next season with maybe better things to happen for the club.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I agree Norm.

Was and am still annoyed by the way TC was treated, and underwhelmed to the max that Hecky, with 7 league wins in a calendar year was appointed.

Until today i had seen nothing to suggest first impressions were wrong.

Today was something at least, wasnt perfect but it showed some improvement.

Not perfect, not convinced , but it was better, thats all i wanted to see. Better.

Now lets hope it wasnt a one off and we finish strongly.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

We're on the same hymn sheet Cjay.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think we are all on the same page and want PH to do well. My concern is more with the board than him mainly due to the complete contrast between the types of manager they have hired and thus the lack of continuity over playing style and formation - the continued 3 steps back to try to take 2 forward approach.

Whilst delighted with the win it was the same story today as has been the case for much of the season, even with TC, that we had to ride our luck and because the opposition didn't score we got a foothold into the game and generally when we have gone in front in games we have done well as it has suited our team more to play on the break with the likes of Alioski and Saiz key to this with their speed at turning defence into attack.

The days of beating Forest away and looking capable of scoring 5 or 6 and then the tearing apart of Burton at home are long gone and I doubt we will see us dominate matches and play with such style as that for a long time.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Unquestionably, when Thomas got it right, it was really right and we were superb. When all the elements melded we were unstoppable and I miss that, although it really didn't happen that often, mostly before the Championship sussed us out. I certainly didn't celebrate when he was fired, or when Grayson was fired, or O'Leary, which was really the most catastrophic.
That's what I meant by gradual improvement, under the radar, being our best way forward. This season's gone for me, unless it hasn't of course, but all I hope for is the chance for PH to do a bit of experimenting when he can without really putting us in danger.

This post should be my 4,000th so I think I'll nip for a pint to celebrate.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

Cjay wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:58 pm I agree Norm.

Was and am still annoyed by the way TC was treated, and underwhelmed to the max that Hecky, with 7 league wins in a calendar year was appointed.

Until today i had seen nothing to suggest first impressions were wrong.
What was so special about today, other than the result?

In some ways it was worse.

We should have come flying out of the blocks, but he played 4-4-2 with Saiz further forward than Lasogga at times. And he had Wiedwald kicking it long to Lasogga in the hope we could win the second balls. We're better than that.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Clive wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:02 pm What was so special about today, other than the result?

In some ways it was worse.

We should have come flying out of the blocks, but he played 4-4-2 with Saiz further forward than Lasogga at times. And he had Wiedwald kicking it long to Lasogga in the hope we could win the second balls. We're better than that.
I dont like this direct approach, its Heckys way i suppose but not overly keen.

But we won. Its been so long I'll take that as a positive.

Especially against a side i really rate who despite losing there star attacking player, best full back and captain cb (sound familiar) were comfortably better then us at there place.

Besides, its miserable enough being a leeds fan, got to find some joy.
Signed

King Cjay

Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:31 pm I think we are all on the same page and want PH to do well. My concern is more with the board than him mainly due to the complete contrast between the types of manager they have hired and thus the lack of continuity over playing style and formation - the continued 3 steps back to try to take 2 forward approach.

Whilst delighted with the win it was the same story today as has been the case for much of the season, even with TC, that we had to ride our luck and because the opposition didn't score we got a foothold into the game and generally when we have gone in front in games we have done well as it has suited our team more to play on the break with the likes of Alioski and Saiz key to this with their speed at turning defence into attack.

The days of beating Forest away and looking capable of scoring 5 or 6 and then the tearing apart of Burton at home are long gone and I doubt we will see us dominate matches and play with such style as that for a long time.
I don't want him to do well, I want Leeds to do well. Heckingbottom doing well could be him doing enough to keep his job, but never enough to get us up. Grayson always got a result when he needed it but all that did was keep him there so that more thrashings and poor signings were just round the corner.

Why should the days of dominating teams be over? We have the same players, the same mana...oh.

If we'd have had the start Fulham had, Christiansen would have been sacked much sooner, and that's the problem with this club. He should have been given until the end of the season, unless they decided to go for a top manager. Instead they paid compensation for a 4-4-2 long ball guy from Barnsley, with 1 win in 16, to manage the creative foreign players the director of football has brought in. It's crackers.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

This is why we're on the same hymn sheet Clive. TC is a thinker, but I don't know what he was like at discipline, because it's all necessary. The players seemed to be getting a bit more frustrated and unruly, but none of the things TC did warranted him being fired. Same with Wilko, a 0-4 defeat to scum I think, and out the door he goes.
Knee-jerk.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 pm I dont like this direct approach, its Heckys way i suppose but not overly keen.

But we won. Its been so long I'll take that as a positive.

Especially against a side i really rate who despite losing there star attacking player, best full back and captain cb (sound familiar) were comfortably better then us at there place.

Besides, its miserable enough being a leeds fan, got to find some joy.
I thought we did well today once we scored our goal especially as Hernandez & Forshaw were unavailable. Referee was shocking too, thwarted at least three goal scoring opportunities

How many saves did Bentley have to make ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Majority of our fans enjoyed the game today
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

Norm wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:43 pm This is why we're on the same hymn sheet Clive. TC is a thinker, but I don't know what he was like at discipline, because it's all necessary. The players seemed to be getting a bit more frustrated and unruly, but none of the things TC did warranted him being fired. Same with Wilko, a 0-4 defeat to scum I think, and out the door he goes.
Knee-jerk.
It wasn't knee-jerk with Wilko because he'd been at the club 8 years and we'd been poor the season before, plus he was replaced with George Graham.

And speaking of George Graham, he's known for being a strict disciplinarian, yet we had 2 sending offs in one game under him. Christiansen was unlucky.

McAllister was knee-jerk. We had a spell of poor defending under him and he lost his job, yet it continued for 3 years under Grayson.

Like I said, if you're gonna get rid of Christiansen then it has to be for a manager who's got a track record of promotion, otherwise you're ripping it up and starting again for no reason.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:59 pm Majority of our fans enjoyed the game today
Our idiot fans will lap owt up.

You're talking about a set of fans who protested against a manager being sacked when he couldn't have done a worse job if he'd tried.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:53 pm I thought we did well today once we scored our goal especially as Hernandez & Forshaw were unavailable. Referee was shocking too, thwarted at least three goal scoring opportunities

How many saves did Bentley have to make ?
We did, it was an improvement.

Slightly concerned that we were up until that point awful, like every 1st half under Hecky. But after the goal much improved.

He was very poor.

None? Dont think he actually made a save did he?

Better then the last few games but it wasnt great, hopefully confidence will build, Boro is important

A good performance there will enhance hope that this wasnt a one off, especially as we know we can beat Boro.

Bad performance and then i dunno what to think.
Signed

King Cjay

Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

We weren't getting Saiz on the ball enough early on, but he came alive after the goal and we looked really dangerous for a spell.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:12 pm We did, it was an improvement.

Slightly concerned that we were up until that point awful, like every 1st half under Hecky. But after the goal much improved.
I was also concerned too, once we scored the goal seem to settle us down a little

Thought we'd need two or three to win though
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Clive wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:21 pm We weren't getting Saiz on the ball enough early on, but he came alive after the goal and we looked really dangerous for a spell.
Yes it's so important we get Saiz on the ball as he must be a nightmare for defenders to mark

As with Derby we improved when Hernandez got more on the ball until he suffered an injury & then our little Spanish magician strutted his stuff
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Clive wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:21 pm We weren't getting Saiz on the ball enough early on, but he came alive after the goal and we looked really dangerous for a spell.

It is because we have still got players used to a counter attacking style hence when we go in front and the opposition has to attack more then there is more space for Saiz to get the ball and run with it. Same as against Derby in some ways as they had to attack as they wanted all 3 points so it suits us more. This is why changing managers to ones with completely different styles is not a great idea (not having a go at PH but the board)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I would smile if Hecky gets us in a play-off place :)