Are the play-offs on again ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Are the play-offs on again ?

Post by 1964white »

Heck was optimistic about Leeds play off chances at a presser yesterday

“It’s a target, definitely,” Heck said. “Two years ago, when I sat in this chair at Barnsley, we were 14th and we went up. I know it can be done. “It’s something that’s definitely achievable but if you get carried away with me setting that target and putting undue pressure on … the next game’s important.

“If anyone heard me speak at Barnsley about setting goals and targets – if you do that then they should be short term and private in lots of senses. One, you can sell yourself short and two, you can put undue pressure on people. But we want pressure on every game, to win every game. The aim is to be a real force in this league.”
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Are the play-offs on again ?

Post by weasel »

Hardly like he is going to say at his first press conference that we are likely to be in a relegation battle - just the usual answers to the usual questions. Play-offs are a possibility if the majority of the first team play to their potential consistently and we avoid key injuries/suspensions.

Interesting that he shed light on one of the greatest conspiracies in our time:

Heckingbottom added that he has actually tried to sign Roberts for Barnsley before now, meaning he knows all about the striker – but he must be fully fit in order to play.

“He’s still not 100%. We did a light session today and he was involved,” said Heckingbottom. “He could possibly be involved at the weekend. I know about Tyler, I’ve spoken to his agent many times about bringing him in myself. But he needs to be right to play,” he added.

Seems like perhaps Roberts wasn't fit to play last weekend contrary to every medical expert on here!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Love his comments on this matter

He knows himself it is achievable but makes no inane promises not putting any pressure on his players

I personally thought our play-off chance had gone months ago & still think it could be beyond us, it really depends how quickly we find any winning form under Heck. Our next five or six games are by no means easy especially as we have key players missing in some of those games. I'm looking for us to be competitive & hopefully stop the rot, pick up some points & see where we are with five or six games to go at the tail-end if the season
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 am Hardly like he is going to say at his first press conference that we are likely to be in a relegation battle - just the usual answers to the usual questions. Play-offs are a possibility if the majority of the first team play to their potential consistently and we avoid key injuries/suspensions.

Interesting that he shed light on one of the greatest conspiracies in our time:

Heckingbottom added that he has actually tried to sign Roberts for Barnsley before now, meaning he knows all about the striker – but he must be fully fit in order to play.

“He’s still not 100%. We did a light session today and he was involved,” said Heckingbottom. “He could possibly be involved at the weekend. I know about Tyler, I’ve spoken to his agent many times about bringing him in myself. But he needs to be right to play,” he added.

Seems like perhaps Roberts wasn't fit to play last weekend contrary to every medical expert on here!
So TC wasn't telling fibs on Roberts fitness then.

To a certain extent Christiansen had dug a hole for himself with his comments being false in previous press conferences

I can't see Roberts starting at Bramall Lane, he may not even make the bench
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

If we get the new manager 'bounce' with Heck, then maybe. But my gut feeling is that, along with the injuries and suspensions, our recent poor run of form has left us with too much to do.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:42 am If we get the new manager 'bounce' with Heck, then maybe. But my gut feeling is that, along with the injuries and suspensions, our recent poor run of form has left us with too much to do.
I think that opinion will be the general consensus Nick
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Lot of points still to play for but if you had to put your mortgage on it you would probably go "no".
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Wrong time to ask the question..ask again in 3 games
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We need 31 points from 16 games to equal Gary Monk's effort last season and lets not forget that despite we finished poorly his points total was good enough to get in the playoffs most seasons. Last season was the strongest in years.

We need a minimum of 28 points I would think...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 am We need 31 points from 16 games to equal Gary Monk's effort last season and lets not forget that despite we finished poorly his points total was good enough to get in the playoffs most seasons. Last season was the strongest in years.

We need a minimum of 28 points I would think...
Don't think 72 points would be enough mate. If we do finish with that amount I would be happy as it would show significant improvement under Heck
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Did say minimum, I can see a team or three mess up like us last year, especially as it's nowhere near as strong. Very unlikely from here but the next 3 games will give us the answer

1-4 points from those and we know we're done...6-9 and it's back on. Anything over 2pts a game looks impossible.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 pm Did say minimum, I can see a team or three mess up like us last year, especially as it's nowhere near as strong. Very unlikely from here but the next 3 games will give us the answer

1-4 points from those and we know we're done...6-9 and it's back on. Anything over 2pts a game looks impossible.
Yes a reasonable estimation to build our hopes up :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

We'd have to get some terrific results in the next 7 games to stand any chance. It's a no from me. 10th.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:42 am If we get the new manager 'bounce' with Heck, then maybe. But my gut feeling is that, along with the injuries and suspensions, our recent poor run of form has left us with too much to do.
Agreed...will watch tomorrow's match with more hope than expectation...but who knows ??
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Let you know after today’s game
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Certainly not.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Now have to get 6 points from the next 2
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

faaip wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:50 pm Now have to get 6 points from the next 2

It`ll develope into a situation where we need 5 wins from the last 5 games while all teams between us and 6th place aren`t allowed to get more than 3 or 4 points.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Mid table squad, mid table is at best where we will end. Hecky cant get more out of this squad then TC because there isnt more in it.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

That’ll be a no then
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't