Spurs v Newport replay on BT Sport

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Spurs v Newport replay on BT Sport

Post by 1964white »

Surely times up for The Exiles ?
1964white

Re: Spurs v Newport replay on BT Sport

Post by 1964white »

SEAN RIGG has snubbed the chance of creating a major FA Cup upset at Wembley by quitting Newport County to become a tattoo artist :shock:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Commentator just said this game is worth £900,000 to Newport

Still can't get my head round our lack of ambition to progress in the FA Cup.

What with a match at ER we could easily have chucked away £1.5m :shock: typical Leeds !

We had taken 15,000+ fans to Wembley :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

After a plucky start from the League 2 side Spurs are strolling the game with a flukey own goal & a fine finish from Lamela to make it 2-0
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:58 pm Commentator just said this game is worth £900,000 to Newport

Still can't get my head round our lack of ambition to progress in the FA Cup.

What with a match at ER we could easily have chucked away £1.5m :shock: typical Leeds !

We had taken 15,000+ fans to Wembley :(
Me neither :x
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:43 pm Me neither :x
Glad I'm not the only one with their sensible financial hat on ;mbags: :tup:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

It's a matter of opinion whether we 'chucked it away' surely. Newport were probably the better team, certainly when they scored late on.
It was a Cup match after all and form can easily turn on its head - ask Tottenham how Newport played - they nearly beat them as well in the first match.
Plus, we had been trying our best in the EFL cup until Leicester beat us so I don't think we didn't try to win - we just weren't good enough.

I know he changed his side from the league squad but he did for every cup game - it didn't mean he wanted to lose.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Norm wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:08 pm It's a matter of opinion whether we 'chucked it away' surely. Newport were probably the better team, certainly when they scored late on.
It was a Cup match after all and form can easily turn on its head - ask Tottenham how Newport played - they nearly beat them as well in the first match.
Plus, we had been trying our best in the EFL cup until Leicester beat us so I don't think we didn't try to win - we just weren't good enough.

I know he changed his side from the league squad but he did for every cup game - it didn't mean he wanted to lose.
It is a matter of opinion Norm. But I'm a traditionalist and in love with the memories of us winning the FA cup and would love us to win it again. Having said that, a good draw (say against a top six premier league side) would bring in lots of much needed cash. We will never know whether he wanted to lose or not, but neither he or Monk respected lower league opposition and us fans paid the price (some literally) :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm It is a matter of opinion Norm. But I'm a traditionalist and in love with the memories of us winning the FA cup and would love us to win it again. Having said that, a good draw (say against a top six premier league side) would bring in lots of much needed cash. We will never know whether he wanted to lose or not, but neither he or Monk respected lower league opposition and us fans paid the price (some literally) :(
Backfired on both Monk & Christiansen as the reason for resting players was to concentrate their efforts on a play-off place, in the end they both failed to achieve their goal
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I didn't include Monk in this as I think it irrelevant - he did play an under strength team deliberately as a protest against the lack of signings in the January window (allegedly).

I'm merely pointing out that TC has been playing a different team in the Cup games this season anyway and I didn't hear any complaint about that - it only became an issue when we lost. I'm saying that if you are a traditionalist there ought to have been complaints when we didn't play the cups with the full first team, regardless of the result. TC merely did the same thing he'd been doing all season to play Newport in the FA Cup (I don't think we had a full squad anyway). Having beaten Newport once in the EFL Cup he probably thought he could get a win with the team he put out. It was obviously a miscalculation but I still don't think he intended to lose and the man cannot be blamed for not using players on the brink of suspension or not fully fit.
In any case, what was our full squad even when injuries and suspensions weren't an issue? He'd chopped and changed a bit over the months. Add to that when injuries/suspensions are extant and let's not forget he never had a full squad in the first place.

If we'd won the game there wouldn't have been a peep out of anyone.