Diving v so called professional fouls

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Diving v so called professional fouls

Post by HarryofOz »

I've always been bemused by the anger shown towards an attacking player who dives as opposed to the acceptance of defending players who foul their opponents deliberately with no attempt whatsoever to win possession in accordance with the rules of the game.

The former are derided as disgusting cheats.

The actions of the latter are mitigated by the use of the term 'professional' foul. As though it's completely acceptable that they should do what they do because they are professional footballers. In fact it goes even further than that, with such players almost being lauded as 'taking one for the team' when they are booked.

Why are dives not described as 'professional dives', why are divers not praised for 'taking one for the team' when booked?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Diving v so called professional fouls

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:41 pm I've always been bemused by the anger shown towards an attacking player who dives as opposed to the acceptance of defending players who foul their opponents deliberately with no attempt whatsoever to win possession in accordance with the rules of the game.

The former are derided as disgusting cheats.

The actions of the latter are mitigated by the use of the term 'professional' foul. As though it's completely acceptable that they should do what they do because they are professional footballers. In fact it goes even further than that, with such players almost being lauded as 'taking one for the team' when they are booked.

Why are dives not described as 'professional dives', why are divers not praised for 'taking one for the team' when booked?
I don't know Harry :duno:

But cynical tackles, diving & cheating are aspects I dislike in the modern game
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Diving v so called professional fouls

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:54 pm I don't know Harry :duno:

But cynical tackles, diving & cheating are aspects I dislike in the modern game
I couldn't agree more
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.