Leeds v Cardiff - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds v Cardiff - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

A friend of ours who is a driver for a supermarket has just delivered our groceries

He went to the game yesterday & all he could say was :

"I'm still fuming
I'm cross & fuming
I'm fuming
I can't discuss it as I'm so mad with them"

Shame our players can't show the same passion
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

I've had enough now, Christiansen and Orta have both got to go this is an absolute shambles. That first half just proved how the players are now longer playing for Christiansen I didn't like the body language from the start of a lot of the players.

The fans were still behind the team in the second half despite everything that happened in the first half and the last few weeks, then Christiansen repays the fans support by deciding to take off our main striker for Sacko. I have supported Christiansen all season but i've had enough of the poor performances, complete lack of organisation/leadership and the poor decision making.

Player Ratings:
Wiedwald 5- Should have got off his line for the first goal.
Berardi 5- Didn't think he was having that bad a game but has to lose points for the red card.
Pennington 4- Awful performance ducking out of tackles poor clearances just never looked at all comfortable.
Jansson 6- Thought he did ok before he went off.
De Bock 5- Poor marking for the second goal.
Vieira 6- Has been criticised a lot over the last 24 hours but he made several challenges and blocks, not his best game of course but he wasn't that bad.
Forshaw 5- Looked reasonably good with the ball but just couldn't control the game but Vieira had to cover him too often for my liking, questionable marking as well on the far post for the fourth goal.
Alioski 4- Lost count of how many times he lost or miscontrolled the ball, poor miss in the first half as well.
Hernandez 4- Saw a lot of the ball and did try and create something but have to question what he was doing for the 4th goal.
Roofe 3- Absolutely awful, his first touch was laughable and he constantly ducked out of challenges.
Lasogga 5- Poor miss in the first half and movement wasn't great, he did improve in the second half tbf.
Subs:
Dallas 7- Man Of The Match Got forward really well and lovely cross for our goal. I've been critical in the past but he has been very good this season and should be starting games.
Sacko 5- Didn't have any impact on the game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oscar wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:23 pm
Alioski 4- Lost count of how many times he lost or miscontrolled the ball, poor miss in the first half as well.
Roofe 3- Absolutely awful, his first touch was laughable and he constantly ducked out of challenges.
This is more like what I witnessed plus all the fans in the kop around me

How these two weaklings remained on the pitch is beyond my comprehension.

Another reason why TC should go :chair:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:39 pm This is more like what I witnessed plus all the fans in the kop around me

How these two weaklings remained on the pitch is beyond my comprehension.

Another reason why TC should go :chair:

So you don't want the two weaklings but what alternatives are there erm Sacko and Grot??? If we had our strongest XI then maybe we had a chance of making the play-offs but we don't and it shows. I just don't get how people can say how poor lots of our players are but then blame the manager who has little option but to try to pick the best of the 'bad options.'
gessa

Post by gessa »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm So you don't want the two weaklings but what alternatives are there erm Sacko and Grot??? If we had our strongest XI then maybe we had a chance of making the play-offs but we don't and it shows. I just don't get how people can say how poor lots of our players are but then blame the manager who has little option but to try to pick the best of the 'bad options.'

So who's to blame, cause things ain't good?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 pm So you don't want the two weaklings but what alternatives are there erm Sacko and Grot??? If we had our strongest XI then maybe we had a chance of making the play-offs but we don't and it shows. I just don't get how people can say how poor lots of our players are but then blame the manager who has little option but to try to pick the best of the 'bad options.'
To take Lassoga off was criminal, our top striker who was more dangerous than Alioski & Roofe put together, Dallas also created more going forward too !

Christiansen has created his own downfall to a certain extent as he's allowed our disciplinary record to go from bad to worse as the season has gone on. His refusal to use new signings is pathetic too !

He is a weak coach as he couldn't even make a decision on who should captain Leeds.

His counterpart managers have sussed his tactics & our soft-bellied team out as we are continually bullied out of games unlike Warnock's team whom have a physical presence about them with the likes of Patterson, Grujic & their £6m signing Madine making mincemeat of us with the clever, pacey Hoillett causing so much havoc only Alioski & Roofe could dream of at this level
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oh & btw

Alioski hasn't had a decent game since the Barnsley game on the 27th November

Roofe's last top performance was at QPR on the 9th December

But Christiansen still refused to bench them !

Proven that you won't win football matches carrying passengers
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Fine margins.

Lassie being praised for being a threat.

Dallas being praised.

Had Dallas tracked the runner goal number 4 may not happen.

Had Roofe not linked up with Lassie he doesnt get a chance to hit the post. . Had Vieira not won it back the bit before doesnt happen at all.

Had Lassie been less selfish then Ali was clean through.

Had Roofe or Lassie been on there toes they had a tap in after great work and cross from Alioski.

Had Alioski not played a lovely round the corner pass to Pablo the Lassie header doesnt happen.

Bottom line is if you analyse it properly then certain players did crucial things that had others done better they would be praised for.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm assuming everyone missed the lovely touch pass from Roofe to set up Lassoga in full stride for the shot that hit the post. I've seen those under or overhit most of the time.

I'm not complaining about the players Weasel, even with the suspensions we should have more than enough quality. Losing Pontus is big but that has just happened.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I had Roofe MOTM game before Cardiff so I'm going to disagree with that 64. We have the players they're not playing as a team and that is TC's fault and the buck stops there imo.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:40 pm Oh & btw

Alioski hasn't had a decent game since the Barnsley game on the 27th November

Roofe's last top performance was at QPR on the 9th December

But Christiansen still refused to bench them !

Proven that you won't win football matches carrying passengers
But like I say how can you bench them if your alternatives are worse? Just because Roofe has a bad game doesn't mean Grot has suddenly become better or Sacko.

Totally agree about the Lasogga substitution though which surprised me - not sure on the thinking apart from maybe trying to get at them with pace but then there was no focal point. Not sure if TC has given any reasons for it.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:51 pm Fine margins.
Fine margins indeed when teams are similar which is why so many championship matches can go either way - first goal often being key. Cardiff took their chance we then miss a few chances, Lasogga and Dallas at 0-1. Our win at Bristol for example we scored early and we won the game at a canter. We miss the early chance, they score we maybe lose 3-0. Teams can often look a lot better after they take the lead as they can then play how they want to (as we did v Forest and Sunderland) and the team that is behind looks completely ragged as they have had to ditch their planned way of playing.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:07 pmBut like I say how can you bench them if your alternatives are worse? Just because Roofe has a bad game doesn't mean Grot has suddenly become better or Sacko.

Totally agree about the Lasogga substitution though which surprised me - not sure on the thinking apart from maybe trying to get at them with pace but then there was no focal point. Not sure if TC has given any reasons for it.
Or did he think the game was lost & decided to save his legs for the Blunts clash next Saturday
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:33 pm Or did he think the game was lost & decided to save his legs for the Blunts clash next Saturday
That would seem the most logical explanation although at 3-1 if we had nicked a goal then who knows what could have happened. We definitely seem to play better with 10 men and for those suggesting TC has lost the dressing room or cannot motivate them I would 100% disagree as it would be very easy for a team to fold when reduced to 10 men but against Ipswich, Millwall and now Cardiff we have really stepped it up a notch in the second half. Think maybe next week we play Sacko from the start to try to make the rest of our team think we are playing with 10 men.
Cozy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Cozy »

Long time since I posted - have given it 24hours since leaving ER yesterday to try and soak up/fathom what happened...

The drive home along the M62 home was ten-fifteen minutes of bewilderment, swearing and fuming...

I've tried to be 'fair' and considered the fact that we have a ridiculous amount of injuries and bans at the moment that TC is trying to handle.... but.... he arrived at ER having presented to AR on Monks season, as a tactician, he even commented in the press conference the day before that Cardiff where a strong, TALL team and that Leeds were going to have to play the ball on the floor to create chances.....

On the day, the starting eleven should have been strong enough and professional enough to compete or even manage the game to within a goal difference or even a draw.

What I saw was a team that appeared to not follow the instruction that TC had indicated he was laying out... i.e. play the ball on the floor.... when we did it we moved the ball around them and created the odd chance, but 9 out of 10 times, we hoofed it up front only to find that the taller, larger players of Cardiff were generally the first to the ball.

Lasogga looked like a threat at times, but at others fumbled the ball and looking clumsy, but genuinely only looked like the one who would score. The substitution of Sacko for Lasogga was nothing short of baffling, Roofe had shown nothing but a lot of running and often loss of the ball when his first touch let him down and for me was the player than should have come off...

Taking the Cardiff and Millwall games into account - both games panned out exactly as you would expect from a Championship side, physical, emotive, derby like & competitive & we failed to set up our game prior. So there's either something wrong with the players not getting or having the ability to take on the preparation prior to the game, or TC's tactically not 'getting' the physical side of the Championship and his teams are too weak.

Yesterday I saw Alioski, Hernandez, Roofe, Vierra and even Lasogga get 'bossed' off the ball, this left Forshaw, Pennington, Le Bock and Berardi having to be the 'physical' and often the play maker elements of the team by either pushing out themselves or taking to long balling (Warnock-esque against a Warnock side!).

So... talent wise - we have a squad that we're repeatedly being told is good enough for the Top 6, and on paper it possibly should be... but it's not firing as it should at the moment at a critical point in the season when you'd expect injuries and bookings to begin taking a toll.

Transfer wise - we've failed to bring in a CB when we're clearly thread bare, I heard TC telling us the other day that the club thought that although we have issues at the moment, it was felt buying a CB would mean that we would be oversubscribed once everyone is back. But in our current predicament shouldn't the thinking have been that we need to get in cover quickly and create more 'competition' in that area to push the 'first' team regulars harder? - we seem to have grasped this concept with the under 23's by filling it full of signings - why not the senior team?

So... I can see AR has done many good things with the set up since he took it over, but I can't help but start to feel that perhaps the Top 6 finish being aimed for is a fanciful ambition to hold interest from the support as the tools clearly are not to hand in either a manager who has yet to understand what Championship football is about and a squad that is woefully unable to perform consistently at a Championship standard for a full 90 mins.

For those who have been saying for the last few weeks we are planning for next season, I fear you're probably right... and can't help but start to feel that this season we've been asked to buy into something else.

Yesterday hurt.....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cozy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:12 pm Long time since I posted - have given it 24hours since leaving ER yesterday to try and soak up/fathom what happened...

The drive home along the M62 home was ten-fifteen minutes of bewilderment, swearing and fuming...

I've tried to be 'fair' and considered the fact that we have a ridiculous amount of injuries and bans at the moment that TC is trying to handle.... but.... he arrived at ER having presented to AR on Monks season, as a tactician, he even commented in the press conference the day before that Cardiff where a strong, TALL team and that Leeds were going to have to play the ball on the floor to create chances.....

On the day, the starting eleven should have been strong enough and professional enough to compete or even manage the game to within a goal difference or even a draw.

What I saw was a team that appeared to not follow the instruction that TC had indicated he was laying out... i.e. play the ball on the floor.... when we did it we moved the ball around them and created the odd chance, but 9 out of 10 times, we hoofed it up front only to find that the taller, larger players of Cardiff were generally the first to the ball.

Lasogga looked like a threat at times, but at others fumbled the ball and looking clumsy, but genuinely only looked like the one who would score. The substitution of Sacko for Lasogga was nothing short of baffling, Roofe had shown nothing but a lot of running and often loss of the ball when his first touch let him down and for me was the player than should have come off...

Taking the Cardiff and Millwall games into account - both games panned out exactly as you would expect from a Championship side, physical, emotive, derby like & competitive & we failed to set up our game prior. So there's either something wrong with the players not getting or having the ability to take on the preparation prior to the game, or TC's tactically not 'getting' the physical side of the Championship and his teams are too weak.

Yesterday I saw Alioski, Hernandez, Roofe, Vierra and even Lasogga get 'bossed' off the ball, this left Forshaw, Pennington, Le Bock and Berardi having to be the 'physical' and often the play maker elements of the team by either pushing out themselves or taking to long balling (Warnock-esque against a Warnock side!).

So... talent wise - we have a squad that we're repeatedly being told is good enough for the Top 6, and on paper it possibly should be... but it's not firing as it should at the moment at a critical point in the season when you'd expect injuries and bookings to begin taking a toll.

Transfer wise - we've failed to bring in a CB when we're clearly thread bare, I heard TC telling us the other day that the club thought that although we have issues at the moment, it was felt buying a CB would mean that we would be oversubscribed once everyone is back. But in our current predicament shouldn't the thinking have been that we need to get in cover quickly and create more 'competition' in that area to push the 'first' team regulars harder? - we seem to have grasped this concept with the under 23's by filling it full of signings - why not the senior team?

So... I can see AR has done many good things with the set up since he took it over, but I can't help but start to feel that perhaps the Top 6 finish being aimed for is a fanciful ambition to hold interest from the support as the tools clearly are not to hand in either a manager who has yet to understand what Championship football is about and a squad that is woefully unable to perform consistently at a Championship standard for a full 90 mins.

For those who have been saying for the last few weeks we are planning for next season, I fear you're probably right... and can't help but start to feel that this season we've been asked to buy into something else.

Yesterday hurt.....
Welcome back Cozy

Great post and yes it did hurt as did the performances at Hull & v Millwall