Leeds v Cardiff - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Leeds v Cardiff - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by fred »

faaip wrote:I'm an optimist by rule ..
Not been followig Leeds that long then... :o
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

...and the glass doesn`t even seem to be half full at the moment.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

fred wrote:Not been followig Leeds that long then... :o
LOL, thanks Fred, I needed a laugh.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote:Then there's no I haven't got the players defence and he is actually rubbish at the job.
You think we have a top 6 squad?

Pennington, Berardi, Dallas, Roofe, Cooper, O'Kane, Phillips, Shaunie, Anita, Cibicki etc

Wouldn't get near the starting 11 of any of the top 6.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

fred wrote:Not been followig Leeds that long then... :o
50 years
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote:You think we have a top 6 squad?

Pennington, Berardi, Dallas, Roofe, Cooper, O'Kane, Phillips, Shaunie, Anita, Cibicki etc

I was responding to someone saying this is how it's done and it works for everyone else. It's one or the other if TC is happy to work to this European model then he cannot blame the quality of player or he should stand his ground with Orta/Rads and demand the players he needs. He cannot serve two masters
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

HarryofOz wrote:LOL, thanks Fred, I needed a laugh.
Have followed and supporteed Leeds for almost 40 years. A defeat was soo teribble in those first 10 years...Leeds being my all end everthing.
I`m kind of not prepared to get too depressed anymore (may imply sadly not being so over the moon if they win either). But I`ll keep following our `destiny` whereever it shouls lead us...and all in all I`ve got more confidence that things could be moving in the right direction than I`ve had for many, many years.
gessa

Post by gessa »

fred wrote:Anyone out thee who still believes a top 6 place possible ?
We're looking good for 14th.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

We haven't won a game since Boxing Day :shock: this is absolutely appalling!!! TC has to go. He is clueless, his interviews are mind numbingly boring and quite frankly his squeaky voice irritates me immensely :evil: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

It's the curse of the Crest.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Just listening to an interview with Pennington, if i'd had a shot every time he said errrrrrrr I would have been absolutely paralytic!!!
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

becchio bear wrote:We haven't won a game since Boxing Day :shock: this is absolutely appalling!!! TC has to go. He is clueless, his interviews are mind numbingly boring and quite frankly his squeaky voice irritates me immensely :evil: :bear:

He's on the edge ...it's a long way from Cyprus. Jeez I still can't get my head around the massive leap in coming from the cypriut league to the Championship and the hardest team to manage in the division. Bit like me going from talking politics down the pub to becoming prime minister. Or someone "promising" in league two going to manage Scumchester United
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

becchio bear wrote:We haven't won a game since Boxing Day :shock: this is absolutely appalling!!! TC has to go. He is clueless, his interviews are mind numbingly boring and quite frankly his squeaky voice irritates me immensely :evil: :bear:
Ditto
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote:He's on the edge ...it's a long way from Cyprus. Jeez I still can't get my head around the massive leap in coming from the cypriut league to the Championship and the hardest team to manage in the division. Bit like me going from talking politics down the pub to becoming prime minister. Or someone "promising" in league two going to manage Scumchester United
Ditto again....but I suspect he was cheap to employ....a bit like some of our players (compared to some of the spending in the championship)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think we all got carried away by last season and because of the start we made we swept that appalling end of season collapse under the carpet. We had a team that overachieved last season and 3 of the 4 biggest reasons we overachieved (Green, Bartley and Wood) left. Throw in Taylor going as well and we are definitely a weaker team than we had last season. Whilst we have definitely improved in other areas these are less important areas on the pitch in terms of being able to get the dirty 1-0 wins without playing well.

I think the likes of Orta and AR privately thought we had overachieved which is why they were never bullish about our chances - just the usual hoping to do better than last season talk - but they could hardly say we think we will do sh*t. I think that is the reason for the transfer strategy which was enough to give us an outside chance of promotion but not really going all out to make the signings we needed. The signings in the transfer window really seem to confirm this as they have not splashed the cash to even loan in a centreback and have gone for the long term striker presumably in the hope that he has half a season to bed in then hits the ground running next season. In Forshaw and DeBock they have had to fill holes that were created by CBJ and Klich leaving. In Forshaw they have bought a player with championship experience that will be at worst a good squad player next season and in DeBock a steady left back that will either be first choice, if he impresses, or be decent back up next season. Both are signings that will be at the very least be good enough to play some matches next season - so again for me whilst the club has filled an immediate need that haven't pushed the boat out and have bought mid range priced players who will be steady additions to the squad and whilst they will unlikely improve immensely they are also unlikely to be complete failures and need to be replaced.

So I see this season as one where we are bedding in a lot of players, especially in the U23s, with an eye on next season. Felix Wiedwald for example has improved over the season and you would be expecting them to be making a decision over the rest of the season as to whether he is good enough to start next season as the no.1. Likewise players like Alioski have shown glimpses but they need to evaluate whether he is suited to the rigours of championship football. Are players such as Roofe going to be good enough even as a squad player if we are to be really serious. Those are likely to be the things that being evaluated. We then have the U23s and especially the players that were brought in for reasonable fees such as Halme and they will be being evaluated as to whether they are ready to step up and I would be disappointed if a few of them were not ready to step up.

Similarly I would expect them to be evaluating TC's performance and it is certainly a tricky one as you wonder how Pep Guardiola would do if he didn't have the players he wanted at his disposal. I certainly feel that Pep would have struggled with our players in a way that perhaps an Alex Ferguson might not or even to a lesser degree a Warnock type manager may have got them to play a much different way.

So for me it is season over barring a sudden upturn in results or an absolutely awful run of results to drag us towards relegation. Once the play-offs is out of reach I would hope some of the youngsters get some games and we try to use this season as a springboard to next. Whilst I would fully expect us to lose PJ in the summer I would hope that we have already got plans in place for his replacement.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote:You think we have a top 6 squad?

our squad is definitely on a par with if not better than

bristol
cardiff
preston
sheff united
fulham

all in our around the play offs
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

danhirons wrote:our squad is definitely on a par with if not better than

bristol
cardiff
preston
sheff united
fulham

all in our around the play offs
But do you believe Berardi, O'Kane, Phillips, Roofe, Cooper 5 of our most used players would get in there starting line ups?

Or any of the 9 teams above us.

I dont

We have a mid table squad.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Think we have a playoff squad led by a relegation manager personally but we'll see. If I were "starting" a Championship team from scratch I'd happily grab Roofe off us and Vierra for cheap
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I think Wilko was fired after a 4-goal home drubbing - not saying I want TC fired but, realistically, I can't defend him any more even though he has been drastically let down with inadequate signings. He doesn't seem to have the wherewithal to knit the squad together and get the gritty wins.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Leeds at home so the lack of response from 64 (who's either stuck in traffic or drowning his sorrows down the pub) is worrying