Would you swap

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Would you swap

Post by Cjay »

With Wolves?

Talking about this with various other teams supporters (including a Wolves fan or two) Premier League and some foreign mates who support other foreign teams , Juventus, Bayern, Barca etc.

Not talking about the league position, thats obvious.

Or some of the players, although they are part of it.

I mean the situation, the ownership, the Mendes bit.

On paper, can understand the delirium from Wolves fans, Fosun are minted, there partnership with Jorge Mendes has allowed them to sign players of higher quality then most in this league and they are top comfortably.

But, and i mean no disrespect here, when i mentioned Wolves to the foreign fans, they all said "who", i had to explain they were huge in the 1950s and where they were geographically etc. Just mentioning the Midlands was enough to invite "why not just buy Villa", already have a Chinese owner, biggest club in the area etc.

The supporters of the "huge" foreign clubs had never heard of Wolves, no clue where they even were. But they all knew Jorge Mendes, and all knew how powerful he is.

And thats a running theme, everyone knows Mendes, most know Wolves now but only vaguely, even the English fans dont know much, there not considered a big club by the Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea,Man City fans etc.

And nobody can understand why Fosun got Wolves?

Its not because they care about the fans or they grew up as fans.
So if its to make money from the Premier League and Europe, thats fine, but its a huge risk, money guarantees nothing in that league and the big clubs are leagues ahead to start with.
If its because they see an opportunity to make money in China off the Wolves brand, again thats fine but there must have been far more established clubs available.

Mendes is there because Fosun part own his company or something, so again he isnt there for Wolves, he is there to get his players in the window. None of them were doing very much, none were 1st team and 1st choice at any of the clubs they were at, even Neves had hardly played for Porto last season, Jota was on loan at Porto, did well, but clearly not enough for Madrid to want him to stay. Willy Boly, hardly got a game for Porto last season.

Maybe Fosun and Mendes can convince them all to stay if they get promoted.
But, it will take years and years to make Wolves an attractive club like Manchester City are now, tons and tons of cash on building work, structure, marketing, spreading the Wolves name. All of these things will have to happen to make Wolves capable of tempting the best.

And are Boly, Jota etc going to wait around playing for Wolves while that happens?
Will Mendes make them?
Will Fosun invest in Wolverhampton to make it more attractive to potential signings? Dont mean to be disrespectful but if you have a choice between living and raising your family in Wolverhampton or Manchester, London, etc then your likely to pick the more established city surely?
Unless you live in the surrounding areas i guess.

Interesting subject i felt.

Disclaimer- Any Wolves fans reading please dont get the hump (in case i join your forum in the future). Personally i couldn't care less, as long as Leeds do well i don't care about anyone else, just a subject for discussion.
Last edited by Cjay on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Would you swap

Post by weasel »

Interesting the idea that the animal name (Wolves) is good for brand recognition and marketing and could be a huge reason why they bought the club - I wonder how many of the Hull City fans who were wholly adamant that they wouldn't be called Hull City Tigers are regretting their actions now as the club plummets.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

I would reckon that they are banking on getting to the PL and then worry about people knowing who Wolves are, once they have the spotlight of the PL people will soon get to know. There was a piece on one of the football shows about Bournemouth the other day and the impact that their stay in the PL has had on the area through exposure to a worldwide audience - there is huge economic benefit to a region from having a PL team (I guess the London clubs are probably the exception) - it's the same here in Norwich, dropping out of the PL has a widespread knock on effect.
Wolfpack
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Wolfpack »

Fosun have stated they looked at numerous clubs before deciding on wolves . looking at the way the club was run (no dept , making profit )advice from Mendez , the price of the club , and most importantly the revenue potential from taking a club like wolves out of the championship and making them a European contender .

Fosun are not here to just throw money at it like a Chelsea or Man City as they have already stated . Instead they have another way of approach , by using there contacts instead to cherry pick all the top YOUNG talent in Europe using there links and wealth in order to succeed. I.e Now being told we are signing Rafa Mir from Valencia who Real Madrid wanted to sign recently for there b team for 1.5 million .

I have no doubt fosun want wolves to be a massive name in China and be a front too show off all there other businesses and investments , with them already getting broadcasting rights to televise certain wolves games over there .

Would Leeds or any club in the championship or lower to mid table in prem swap with us , I think in the next 3 to 4 years , teams will all jump at the chance , fosun mean business and know what they want and have a plan on a way to do it . They already stated this is just stage 1 , and you only have to look at the championship table to see how that's worked out .

Wolves have gone through some dark times like yourselfs . Double dropping to league 1 not to long ago was certainly not something I will forget in a hurry . We are now on the up and as the wolves saying goes , out the darkness cometh the light . All the best for the rest of the season .
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Wolfpack wrote:Fosun have stated they looked at numerous clubs before deciding on wolves . looking at the way the club was run (no dept , making profit )advice from Mendez , the price of the club , and most importantly the revenue potential from taking a club like wolves out of the championship and making them a European contender .

Fosun are not here to just throw money at it like a Chelsea or Man City as they have already stated . Instead they have another way of approach , by using there contacts instead to cherry pick all the top YOUNG talent in Europe using there links and wealth in order to succeed. I.e Now being told we are signing Rafa Mir from Valencia who Real Madrid wanted to sign recently for there b team for 1.5 million .

I have no doubt fosun want wolves to be a massive name in China and be a front too show off all there other businesses and investments , with them already getting broadcasting rights to televise certain wolves games over there .

Would Leeds or any club in the championship or lower to mid table in prem swap with us , I think in the next 3 to 4 years , teams will all jump at the chance , fosun mean business and know what they want and have a plan on a way to do it . They already stated this is just stage 1 , and you only have to look at the championship table to see how that's worked out .

Wolves have gone through some dark times like yourselfs . Double dropping to league 1 not to long ago was certainly not something I will forget in a hurry . We are now on the up and as the wolves saying goes , out the darkness cometh the light . All the best for the rest of the season .
Thanks for your reply :)

Interesting to get a fans perspective, tried to get on the Wolves forum but it wont send through the confirmation email so i gave up.

Agree on the League 1 bit, was a dark dark day for us also, it is nice to see someone recover.

Good luck for the rest of the season :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Wolfpack wrote:Fosun have stated they looked at numerous clubs before deciding on wolves . looking at the way the club was run (no dept , making profit )advice from Mendez , the price of the club , and most importantly the revenue potential from taking a club like wolves out of the championship and making them a European contender .

How long have they been in control?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:How long have they been in control?
Since July 2016 Faaip
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

So they're a year ahead of Radz, I'm happy with our progress up to date under Radz and the companies behind him. We should be a big top 2 threat next season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"