Liam Cooper

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Liam Cooper

Post by Cjay »

Is todays player.

Captain, recently passed the 100 appearance mark, is in fact the player with the most club appearances on the books at Leeds now.

But, that is something the majority of fans cant understand, many of the fan base dont see Liam as a 1st choice player.

Cant fault his commitment, he must be a strong personality in the dressing room seeing as they picked him as Captain.

So, where do people stand on Liam Cooper?
Last edited by Cjay on Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
hector

Re: Liam Cooper

Post by hector »

His neck?? :wink:
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Cant really put a positive slant on this to be honest.

He is in no way, shape or form a first choice Championship cb, not now not ever, the fact he is ours is the main thing id criticize Orta for.

No disrespect to Scotland, but they have had some shockingly shite cbs, Andy Webster, Steven Pressley, Steven Caldwell.

Andy Webster-71 games in league 1 for Cov, rest in Scotland, never for one of the big two, was distinctly poor, hence never being signed by Celtic or Rangers.
Steven Pressley- 200 odd games for Hearts, 100 or so for Dundee, signed by both Rangers and Celtic, barely played.
Stephen Caldwell- best of the 3 but still pretty crap, did a passable job at best in the Championship.

Between those 3 poor cbs they had 72 caps, Cooper hasnt any.

That for me shows just how poor he is, Scotland arent exactly blessed with great cbs.

Edit-In fairness he has at times done a passable job, average Championship cb at his best, normally, a poor Championship /good league 1 Cb.
Last edited by Cjay on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

hector wrote:His neck?? :wink:
:roflmao:
Signed

King Cjay

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

I for one was really pleased when we signed, he appeared to be a decent young CB with a lot of potential, at times (mainly beginning of this season) he’s looked excellent but often he looks average and always prone to a mistake., when we are under pressure he often panics and usually is the first to go flying with a two footed tackle followed by at least a yellow if not red.

As others have said he’s an average Championship CB and will make a good living at it but we need more than average, I’m happy he’s part of the squad, but at best he’s a squad player not a first choice.

As a Captain he’s done ok but again I’d say he a bang average Championship Captain and we need much better than average.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Average CB

Not a captain

Poor disciplinary record

We could & should have recruited a much better player to play alongside Jansson under our new management team
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Awful last night.

Nobody with Liam Cooper at cb can hope to challenge for promotion.

Idiotic challenge for there 1st, easily turned for the 2nd. Totally inept.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Awful last night.

Nobody with Liam Cooper at cb can hope to challenge for promotion.

Idiotic challenge for there 1st, easily turned for the 2nd. Totally inept.
He has been a bug bearer with me for years. I got ticked off from some folk on here for my criticism of Cooper. I was so pleased when Bartley & Jansson signed for Leeds, I honestly thought Cooper's days were numbered especially after his Sutton & Reading fiasco's.
Despair sunk in this season when he was made captain ensuring that he would be one of first players on the team sheet. Tbf he started the season well but as is so often the case with average players the costly mistakes soon become apparent. As you say Cjay we have no chance of success if we continue to persist with these type of players in our squad
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote:He has been a bug bearer with me for years. I got ticked off from some folk on here for my criticism of Cooper. I was so pleased when Bartley & Jansson signed for Leeds, I honestly thought Cooper's days were numbered especially after his Sutton & Reading fiasco's.
Despair sunk in this season when he was made captain ensuring that he would be one of first players on the team sheet. Tbf he started the season well but as is so often the case with average players the costly mistakes soon become apparent. As you say Cjay we have no chance of success if we continue to persist with these type of players in our squad
Ditto that
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:He has been a bug bearer with me for years. I got ticked off from some folk on here for my criticism of Cooper. I was so pleased when Bartley & Jansson signed for Leeds, I honestly thought Cooper's days were numbered especially after his Sutton & Reading fiasco's.
He's similar to Lonners.

Ok to do a job from time to time, cover for injuries and such.

Play to often and they get found out easily.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He's a CB3/4 in this division..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

faaip wrote:He's a CB3/4 in this division..
Yep decent stand in at this level but shouldn't be first choice or Captain. Did have a decent start to the season but is failing to maintain those standards.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:He's a CB3/4 in this division..
So why is he TC's No.1 centre-back ?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

3 reasons, he's experienced so the safer choice then Pennington doesn't look good and finally he's the only real candidate for captain.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:3 reasons, he's experienced so the safer choice then Pennington doesn't look good and finally he's the only real candidate for captain.
Says it all then about our squad

We are simply not good enough !
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

faaip wrote:3 reasons, he's experienced so the safer choice then Pennington doesn't look good and finally he's the only real candidate for captain.
I’d have Pontus as captain over Cooper any day.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Liam Cooper vs. Barnsley:

44 touches
28 passes
8 clearances
6 aerial duels won
3 interceptions
3 blocked shots

Credit where its due, well played.

Now please don't be useless vs Villa.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Solid again.
Signed

King Cjay

NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Couldn’t fault Coops again today, very solid.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Aye, did nothing wrong and hardly noticed him which is what I like from a supporting CB. Though maybe not for a captain.