Loved them, but leave them

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Loved them, but leave them

Post by Cjay »

This summer like most summers we were strongly linked with numerous ex players in the transfer window. Jonny Howson, Robert Snodgrass, Max Gradel and Ross McCormack, all "wanted" by us at various times this summer according to the football media. Hand on heart I personally never wanted any of them. Now the season has started and we have seen our new players play and how they have gelled as a team i can honestly say... I want all 4 of them even less.

Jonny Howson

Left Leeds a dynamic, goal scoring, all round midfielder capable of playing numerous positions and seen by some as a possible England international. Now, a 29 year old midfielder, struggled to make an impact in the Premier league, at best an average Premier League midfielder and at times looked out of his depth. He is however quality at Championship level, but not worth the money that Norwich wanted.

Robert Snodgrass

Left Leeds as our talismanic captain, goal scorer, goal maker and fan hero. Unlike the others he did go on to prove himself in the Premier League. Of the 4 he is the only one who would have been a good signing in my opinion. However he didn't do well at West Ham and his wages would have been huge. Further more Snodgrass worked best on the right wing or as a number 10, Alioski and Saiz have been every bit as good as Snoddy so far and for a fraction of the price and Snoddy turns 30 tomorrow whereas Saiz and Alioski are younger and havent reached there prime.

Max Gradel

Left Leeds a pacey, exciting, versatile 24 year old. Now a 29 year old, injury prone player who seems to be on the downturn, unable to get in Bournemouths team and has struggled for form and fitness last few years. Is he a better option then what we have? I dont think so.

Ross McCormack

Left Leeds after an exceptional season, technically brilliant and intelligent forward just reaching his prime. Following 2 goalscoring years at Fulham he secured another big money move to Aston Villa, and that was that, he put on weight, lost form, wouldn't climb a gate and seemed completely unmotivated and happy to sit at home collecting his cash. Now the wrong side of 30 and having never had a Premier League club interested it is clear his level will always be the Championship.

We as fans view certain players through rose tinted glasses, we pretend time stood still and the player that left is the player that would return. Unfortunately that is not the case and the players above, undoubtedly the stars of the team in their Leeds days are now older, largely unproven in the last few years and on extortionate wages.

The past is best left in the past and thank you four for the memories.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Ex Player Returns

Post by Norm »

Without having seen any of them play recently, I tend to agree CJay, especially in view of the gems we have, courtesy of our new system.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

No thank you for all the reasons you highlighted
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Cjay wrote: The past is best left in the past and thank you 4 for the memories
Ditto
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
gessa

Post by gessa »

The only one who I'd have been happy with at the time was Howson but not for that kind of money, the others all have baggage one way or another but he hasn't worked out yet.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Mind if I use this on the homepage Cjay?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Shields53 wrote:Mind if I use this on the homepage Cjay?
Nope feel free :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
PeterRV

Re: Loved them, but leave them

Post by PeterRV »

Would have loved to have Maxie back. Think his pace, skill and eye for a goal would work great in the current team. He was only loaned to Toulouse so wouldn't have cost Leeds anything and I think its a real shame Leeds did not go in for him in the summer. He is a great crowd pleaser and would revel in the way Leeds play now.