Leeds v Brighton: Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Brighton have had a poor start this year, but I expect them to be a tough test nonetheless.

I'd probably swap Murphy for Tonge, and possibly bring in Bellusci if he gets clearance (though somewhat harsh on Cooper, he has higher level experience).

Although Ajose had a poor game (imo), I'd give him another shot along with Doukara playing the wider attacking roles.
Ryan_LUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @ryan_merri

Post by Ryan_LUFC »

I'd actually like to see Murphy at the top of the diamond. End of last season he played in an advanced position and did well, scoring a few goals. I would bring in Tonge or cook for Ajose
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Ryan_LUFC wrote:I'd actually like to see Murphy at the top of the diamond. End of last season he played in an advanced position and did well, scoring a few goals. I would bring in Tonge or cook for Ajose
Even after a few games Ajose certainly seems to be an upgrade on Hunt in the "run around making space for others" role that Hunt was bought in for. Benedicic looked useful too when bought on against Chesterfield. His first or second touch: a through ball that Hunt completely miscontrolled, was absolutely sublime, though he doesn't look as mobile as Ajose.

I like the mix of players we have now in central midfield. We have attacking players to sit in behind the front two in Ajose and Benedicic. Bianchi and Mowatt see runs and make passes. Murphy and Cook make runs forward and complement the strikers. If we had a battler to put pressure on or improve on Austin then I think we'd have the spine that we've been missing for so many seasons.

Up front too we have players of different styles that can complement each other. Powerhouse Doukara, nippy poacher Sharp, target man Smith...

Hockaday has options that no Leeds manager has had in a long time. Let's see if he can use them.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Re: Leeds v Brighton: Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by leedsmad »

Can someone please tell me how Cooper went? and if you guys think if he will be a good signing?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

leedsmad wrote:Can someone please tell me how Cooper went? and if you guys think if he will be a good signing?

A very steady debut v a team fancied to do well this well
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote:Brighton have had a poor start this year, but I expect them to be a tough test nonetheless.

I'd probably swap Murphy for Tonge, and possibly bring in Bellusci if he gets clearance (though somewhat harsh on Cooper, he has higher level experience).

Although Ajose had a poor game (imo), I'd give him another shot along with Doukara playing the wider attacking roles.
As you say a very poor start from the Seagulls playing under another inexperienced manager Sammy Hyppia, they have lost eight of their first team from last season so like us Brighton are in a transitional period, a opportunity for us to strike whilst the iron is hot.
Tonge definitely has to start at the expense of Ajose. Would love to see more of Cook who looks like a real star in the making
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Silvestri

Byram Pearce Cooper Wanock

Murphy Bianchi Tonge Cook Doukara

Sharp
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Silvestri

Byram Pearce Cooper Wanock

Cook

Murphy Bianchi Tonge

Doukara

Sharp
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
abundegas
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by abundegas »

Unless there are fitness issues (and I'd hope not so early in the season) then I'd like to see the same starting 11 as M'boro. Lots of room for improvement but I think the players should be given time to adapt to new roles (e.g. Austin) and new team and new league (most players). I thought all showed promise against M'boro and plenty of encouraging signs. Plus Hockaday seems to be able to use the bench well when needed.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Can't disagree with that, Austin did ok and Cook needs to be bought along slowly...I just like the look of my above line up...of course it don't account for the new players.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

abundegas wrote:Unless there are fitness issues (and I'd hope not so early in the season) then I'd like to see the same starting 11 as M'boro. Lots of room for improvement but I think the players should be given time to adapt to new roles (e.g. Austin) and new team and new league (most players). I thought all showed promise against M'boro and plenty of encouraging signs. Plus Hockaday seems to be able to use the bench well when needed.
:tup: Same team. Stiff competition for places, let's go by the rule; your place in the team is there until fitness or form takes you out and someone else gets an opportunity. On that basis alone, the only one who would possible come out would be Byram but as his alternative is out, he gets another shot. At this stage of the season, consistency in the team selection is key. Everyone will get a shot over the season, especially if we get a bit of a cup run going.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Doukara's knock looked potentially troublesome, wouldn't be at all surprised if he misses out.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Guildford White wrote:Doukara's knock looked potentially troublesome, wouldn't be at all surprised if he misses out.
He took a few nasty challenges in the Accrington match too, one of which I thought worthy of a red card.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

abundegas wrote:Unless there are fitness issues (and I'd hope not so early in the season) then I'd like to see the same starting 11 as M'boro. Lots of room for improvement but I think the players should be given time to adapt to new roles (e.g. Austin) and new team and new league (most players). I thought all showed promise against M'boro and plenty of encouraging signs. Plus Hockaday seems to be able to use the bench well when needed.

Tonge has to start
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Same again surely! Continuity is the key, nobody deserves to be dropped, make the subs work their balls off to get into the side and have the 11 starters know that poor performances mean getting dropped, having said that dokoura took a knock so smith with his new contract could come in to show he's worth it
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote:Same again surely! Continuity is the key, nobody deserves to be dropped, make the subs work their balls off to get into the side and have the 11 starters know that poor performances mean getting dropped, having said that dokoura took a knock so smith with his new contract could come in to show he's worth it
From the three games i've seen so far Dezzy we look a better side when Tonge is pulling the strings in midfield, we were overrun in the middle of the park for long periods of the first half v Boro'
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Dr.Leeds »

dezzy wrote:Same again surely! Continuity is the key, nobody deserves to be dropped, make the subs work their balls off to get into the side and have the 11 starters know that poor performances mean getting dropped, having said that dokoura took a knock so smith with his new contract could come in to show he's worth it
Bellusci clearly hasn't been signed as a back up so, although Cooper made an impressive debut, I'd expect Bellusci to start if he has clearance.

Any other changes are likely to be forced. Doukara will start unless injured. I reckon he'll stick with Austin at the base of the diamond at least for now.
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

I would start with the same line up as Middlesbrough game if they are fit. I am looking forward to this game as i was away for the Middlesbrough game i could only watch it on tv.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

One concern I have after Saturday which overall was a positive performance was the fact that Pearce and Cooper are both left footed. Pearce has been asked to shift over and you could see, several times, how uncomfortable it was for him just making the simplest of clearances at times. Be interesting to know if Bellusci is right footed.....it may be that he is best with one of the two who played v Boro.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Here we go my 4th in two weeks hoping a 3rd consecutive win in a week

Meeting my pessimistic pal I travel with to the majority of games in the club shop, new shirts to be purchased (not for me may I add). Looking forward to seeing my good friend of 25 years who has journeyed up from Sussex as he does.......fanatical like myself :shirt:

Come on Leeds

MOT