Leeds v Birmingham - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds v Birmingham - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:I'm happy to leave it to B Mc to pick the team. He sees the team at every training session, on and off the pitch and will know who is up to the job rather than simply reverting to picking a player simply because that player has supposedly become brilliant because he isn't playing.

We have to look at the situation for what it is and the fact is that B Mc is trying to put NW's square pegs in round holes. The players he has signed may be good players but equally they may need a different type of player around them for them to really shine. In a recent post I mentioned the fact that Murphy was probably used to having players around him that were comfortable on the ball and would pass to him and want the ball back. That is a totally different type of player to the majority at Leeds that are the headless chasers, hardworking etc but not used to keeping possession. Even the more skillful players at Leeds, such as Ross McCormack, are more used to flicks rather than keeping possession. I liken it to when Leeds got Brian Kidd in and tried to change the style to a more patient game but had a team full of players that were used to playing at 100mph. Likewise when Terry Venables took over and tried to put the same players into his formation/stlye. He brought in a couple of players, namely Nick Barmby, who could play the way he wanted but because the other players couldn't Barmby looked lost and sh*t.

To get it right needs time. We need to be patient. B Mc needs to bring in a lot more players but the reality of the situation is that he is unable to do that until a lot of dead wood is shifted off the wage bill. The real glimmer of hope at the moment is the youth team as they have been brought up playing the style of football that makes them more suitable for B Mc's team. They have to be blooded at the right time though and eased into the team. For all the clamour about them don't forget they may be good but they only drew 1-1 with Sheff Utd reserves. The Leeds youth team that beat Scum's youth team in the Cup Final all had disappointing careers whereas several from the Scum beaten team had fantastic careers.
Superb post from our very own Weasel :tup:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

MeeTa wrote:
Ah yea thanks =) Im sure somewhere in London is showing the game. Tho would be nice if it was close to the touristy part such as oxford/regent street etc
The Enterprise in Camden, apparently shows all our games. Landlord is a Leeds fan! :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

One thing is certain. If we cannot raise our game above the level of the Derby, AFCB, and Millwall second half performances we will be well beaten. Birmingham had clicked into some form just before the international break. It looks as though we will not have any new faces so we rely on a change in our energy and ability on the ball. I am not confident. Although I saw recently that Hunt has now sorted out his home life by moving up near Leeds and now has his wife with him (both things he said had frustrated him recently and were affecting his game) I would still not risk playing him & would look to include Smith & Diouf in the line-up. We desperately need a new start.....to lose this one really will set the alarm bells going full tilt
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

I`d behappy for this line up v birmingham . if fit of course
Kenny
Pelts Wooton Pearce Warnock [JUST]
Byram [if] Austin Murphy Mowatt
Diouff
Mc Cormack .
Familarity i know but it`s better than too many changes.
leeds&leeds&leeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by leeds&leeds&leeds »

Diouf unavailable, on compassionate leave after death of former coach Bruno Metsu.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

there's a bonus
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:there's a bonus
Not sure about that mate.....Diouf is the only one who can give us something different in our attack, alright he slows our play down but he retains the ball well, earns us free-kicks & is in the minority stakes when it comes down to possessing quality in the current squad of players, yes he can be frustrating but I'd have started with El-Hadji on Sunday !
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

I predicted 0-0 on the forum. I forgot that Brum have ZIGIC! :shock:
I may change my prediction to a 0-2 defeat.
Opposition players like him are the reason we need this Lithuanian chap in our defence. NO PRISONERS! :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Can someone nobble Vigic, Burke & the scummer :lol:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Anybody know why Wootton and Murphy have not been involved in recent games ? They have not been particularly bad, and there has been no mention of injury. :duno:

I agree with Josh, and think that 5-3-2 should be given a chance. The diamond has proved ineffective, and has to be abandoned.

Kenny
Byram Lees Wootton Pierce Warnock / White
Murphy Austin Mowatt
McCormack Varney

Having said that, with our current squad low in confidence, I am not hopeful of a victory. A draw is the best that we can hope for.

Edit: Embarrassingly, I thought that we were away from home, hence the hoping for a draw bit.
Last edited by Gandalf on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

I'm trying to be hopeful , but I don't know how we are going to win today if we do it might be a 94th minute own goal or something :duno: . League 1 squad we have...except for Kenny ,Ross Mac , Byram , Mowatt .
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Leeds v Birmingham - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by Dr.Leeds »

I do think we need to change our style a little and incorporate some width. With Byram allegedly fully fit now and Peltier on decent form I think we should play both. Austin needs to be played in his best role. I'd play Murphy, Austin and Mowatt as a central three with Byram a little more advanced wide right. With a little form Hunt is the perfect type of player to bring the best out of McCormack. Mowatt can drift left and ping them in and could combine well with Warnock.

Kenny

Peltier Wooton Pearce Warnock

Murphy Austin Mowatt

Byram

Hunt McCormack
joshlucas
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by joshlucas »

perfect starting 11 for a 5-3-2/3-5-2 formation!!! but not bad as 4-4-2 as well.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Superb 1st half performance, great to see us playing high tempo, high pressure, attacking football from the start.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Wow where did that performance come from ????? Mowatt , Murphy and Byram in Midfield (BRILLIANT) so is Austin. Keep it up BOYZ!!!!! M.O.T
nickjett
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by nickjett »

Im watching the brum game cant be assed to watch that leeds s**t. Brum are playing some team ive never seen or heard of before?!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Excellent, a quality performance all round.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

HarryofOz wrote:Excellent, a quality performance all round.
Would be hard to pick a MOTM imo.
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

I liked the look of the formation though. We were playing 4.5 across the back, with Byram running the right side. Having Pearce, Wootton and Lees across the back looked really solid. Loved it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Didn't see the game but the result perked me up on return from the hospital. 5-3-2 seems the obvious formation for the players we have. Hope it continues to work and I've said before the players at this club aren't as bad as the fans would have us believe.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"