Leeds v Burnley - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Re: Leeds v Burnley - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by becchio bear »

1964white wrote:
Sorry twiggs but sometimes your ignorance astounds me :shock:

QPR's squad is littered with players that have played in the premiership in Green, Dunne, Hill, Onuoha, Traore, Young, Assou-Ekotto, Hoilett, Wright-Philips, Barton, Jenas, Kranjaer, O'Neill, Johnson, Zamora....on top of that they have recently signed Charlie Austin & Matty Phillips. I maybe wrong but i reckon the Hoops squad includes seven players who have played for England & also have other internationals in Dunne & Kranjaar. Their team has a mix of experienced & young players with pace & nous. To say they haven't got any goalscorers is ludricous Andy Johnson & Charlie Austin have two each so far & i have no doubt they will score 15+ each come the end of the season bar injury of course. Wright-Philips, Hoilett, Kranjaar, Phillips, Jenas & Zamora are all capable of knocking in goals too !
QPR also have a rock solid defence conceding only two goals in their first eight games & conceding NONE in their last six fixtures, their team is built on a sound defence & they certainly have game-changers especially in tight games as has already been provened with their results so far !
To be fair little old man, I don't think that was what Twiggs was actually saying. He was saying we had no strikers not QPR and saying that even though they are top of the table and with all those players at their disposal they have only scored one more goal than us. Well that's my interpretation anyway. I'm not worried yet, the egg will sort things out i'm sure. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I realised as soon as i saw the team line-up we were in for a tough afternoon !

Losing Peltier & Warnock for this game was a massive loss whom have played a big part in a solid back four this season & with the back-up of Lees & Drury unavailable with not one defender on the bench my pre-match thoughts came to fruition as our defending was Grayson-esque throughout much of the game a trait unseen in our first eight games.The game was wide-open from the first minute....the nerves & panic emotions from the Larry/Warnock era's returned everytime Burnley went on the attack. Tbh i didn't think we deserved to be losing at half-time as we could quite easily scored four times if we had a No.9 in the box, unfortunately we couldn't hit a barn door although their keeper made some fine saves as did fo Kenny for us. The same story continued in the 2nd half as the ball flashed across the Clarets box with no clinical finisher to take advantage. Both Burnley goals were gifts, shambolic defending. Got what we deserved in the end !

Kenny 6 - made some decent saves, cupable for both goals conceded
Byram 6 - nowhere near match-fit, propably wouldn't have played had either Peltier or Lees had been available
Pearce 5 - his worst game so far this season
Wootton 6 - not as comfortable as previous games
White 6 - did okay but i'd prefer Warnock or Drury in front of Aidy, flanks wide-open yesterday
Austin 4 - Rudi's worst game this term, needs to learn to win & play the simple ball, some woeful passing
Murphy 5 - one sublime pass but went missing for much of the game
Tonge 7 - our best midfielder by a country mile, some delightful passing. I read Tonge's pass-rate was 94%...MOTM
McCormack 5 - ran around a bit, missed a glorious opportunity as he headed wide, some woeful shooting as he scuffed & dragged shots wide of the target. Interesting that out of 36 fans on our coach ten players were nominated votes....our No.44 didn't receive one vote, amazingly Rudi mustered three votes :oops: :shock:
Varney 6 - not as effective yesterday, missed two great chances to score
Diouf 7 - looked a class above of most on the park, can be frustrating at times, great assist for our goal

Subs

Smith 7 - the big fella won every header & showed the others how to do it when the opportunity arises
Poleon 6 - still unsure about Dominic...needs to learn when he dribbles pass two or three players to release the ball & only shoot if the angles are right
Green 7 - replaced Byram, our best defender on the park :shock:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:selling Ross and replacing him with a better fit for our system would have been the way to go...too late now
We're in a minority mate :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote:
To be fair little old man, I don't think that was what Twiggs was actually saying. He was saying we had no strikers not QPR and saying that even though they are top of the table and with all those players at their disposal they have only scored one more goal than us. Well that's my interpretation anyway. I'm not worried yet, the egg will sort things out i'm sure. :bear:
Yes they may have scored only one more than us but they have so much more quality, pace & nous in their team so their lack of goals is not a problem

I'm not worried too young lady....always insisted we need to be patient & seeing young players such as Murphy, Wootton, Mowatt, Smith & Poleon on the park is encouraging & refreshing....Also Peltier & Pearce have improved immensely under McDermott this season :-D
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Peltier was always quality, just went backwards under warnock who liked to erode players confidence by laying blame on everyone bar himself. Normal service has resumed. That doesn't take a great manager just one who knows what he's doing. I like BMC but I still think we're at least one more manager from the top flight, and probably one more take over.

There is a good 11 here if we relegate Ross to the bench where he'd be more dangerous late in games

My instinct tells me we're not there yet
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Peltier was always quality, just went backwards under warnock who liked to erode players confidence by laying blame on everyone bar himself. Normal service has resumed. That doesn't take a great manager just one who knows what he's doing. I like BMC but I still think we're at least one more manager from the top flight, and probably one more take over.

There is a good 11 here if we relegate Ross to the bench where he'd be more dangerous late in games

My instinct tells me we're not there yet

Peltier was asked to play in three different positions under Warnock & in the end his confidence was shot. Arguably our best player this season, funny how we have lost two games whilst Pelts has been unavailable !
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Ronan wrote:Though have to admit to the defeat being softened with a mini pube crawl with my beloved at the foot of the beautiful Mons :wink: :wink:
:shock:
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
CSA
First Team
First Team

Post by CSA »

Austin was awful yesterday...we desperately need a proven goalscorer, but they cost money and January is a long way off, I would personally try McCormack and Smith up front together and see how they go.
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

1964white wrote:
We're in a minority mate :tup:

Count me in.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think a lot of fans have gone completely overboard. Sure we have had 2 defeats on the bounce but in the championship every team can beat any other team, especially when a team is on a bit of a run like Burnley are. We were a missed chance away from winning at Reading. Yeah we may have been sh*t against Burnley but we had a makeshift defence and the key to any defence is undertsanding and continuity. The Arsenal back 4 was a back 4 that never changed, or when injury or suspensions happened it would still be 3 from 4 regulars. Yesterday we had Wootton who has never played with Byram and White. We had Pearce that has only played 3 games with Wootton and we had White and Byram making their first appearances of the season. It isn't exactly hard to see why the defence wasn't as tight as it has been all season. Given the choice I'm sure B Mc would have picked Peltier, Warnock, Pearce and Wootton.

Likewise I think fans need to get of Ross Mc's back. Yes he hasn't scored in a few games but that is how it goes with Ross. He is a flurry striker wherein he scores a few goals then doesn't score for a few games. He has always been like that and despite B McD's input it is hardly likely it is going to change. He has had 2 seasons of getting around 20 goals and hopefully another flurry of goals is just around the corner.

Yes it is worrying that we aren't scoring but yesterday was the first time we needed to score 3 goals to win. Hopefully we will get back to being tighter at the back and be able to nick these 1-0 or 2-1 wins. Don't judge the team yet because it is still a work in progress. To compare us to QPR is pointless as really they should walk the league, anything less and they have failed.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:I think a lot of fans have gone completely overboard. Sure we have had 2 defeats on the bounce but in the championship every team can beat any other team, especially when a team is on a bit of a run like Burnley are. We were a missed chance away from winning at Reading. Yeah we may have been sh*t against Burnley but we had a makeshift defence and the key to any defence is undertsanding and continuity. The Arsenal back 4 was a back 4 that never changed, or when injury or suspensions happened it would still be 3 from 4 regulars. Yesterday we had Wootton who has never played with Byram and White. We had Pearce that has only played 3 games with Wootton and we had White and Byram making their first appearances of the season. It isn't exactly hard to see why the defence wasn't as tight as it has been all season. Given the choice I'm sure B Mc would have picked Peltier, Warnock, Pearce and Wootton.

Likewise I think fans need to get of Ross Mc's back. Yes he hasn't scored in a few games but that is how it goes with Ross. He is a flurry striker wherein he scores a few goals then doesn't score for a few games. He has always been like that and despite B McD's input it is hardly likely it is going to change. He has had 2 seasons of getting around 20 goals and hopefully another flurry of goals is just around the corner.

Yes it is worrying that we aren't scoring but yesterday was the first time we needed to score 3 goals to win. Hopefully we will get back to being tighter at the back and be able to nick these 1-0 or 2-1 wins. Don't judge the team yet because it is still a work in progress. To compare us to QPR is pointless as really they should walk the league, anything less and they have failed.
What do you mean "completely gone overboard" my old weasel?

My very first paragraph of my match report was my concern with the disruption of our back four before a ball was kicked

We cannot make a comparison to QPR's money-bags prem team......we are slowly & steadily building for the future

As for McCormack he is totally overrated, achieves more on a social network site than in the white shirt of Leeds, he was poor last season & has been average this season !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CSA wrote:Austin was awful yesterday...we desperately need a proven goalscorer, but they cost money and January is a long way off, I would personally try McCormack and Smith up front together and see how they go.
A proper No.9 & we'd have won that game !
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

1964white wrote:
A proper No.9 & we'd have won that game !
We have one, in Roscoe - but baldy won't play him up top...

Anyway - your prayers may be answered:

‏@PhilHayYEP
#lufc planning to sign a new striker before Millwall on Saturday. A few options being considered.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote: We have one, in Roscoe - but baldy won't play him up top...

Anyway - your prayers may be answered:

‏@PhilHayYEP
#lufc planning to sign a new striker before Millwall on Saturday. A few options being considered.
As long the possible signing is a proper goalscorer & not just a run of the mill filler.....a top No.9 is essential if we are to progress in the future !
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Finally, the burnley "highlights" are on LUTV. Wish I hadn't watched.
WTF was kenny doing to let in both soft goals?? Stupid elementary mistakes. Reverted to last season's incompetence, just when he was winning me over? You do NOT let a goal in at your near post, FFS! :evil: And CATCH the fekking ball in your own area. :roll:
Good shot stopper ok - so was Casper and Lonergan...Kenny is no better.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel on Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:12 pm

I think a lot of fans have gone completely overboard. Sure we have had 2 defeats on the bounce but in the championship every team can beat any other team, especially when a team is on a bit of a run like Burnley are. We were a missed chance away from winning at Reading. Yeah we may have been sh*t against Burnley but we had a makeshift defence and the key to any defence is undertsanding and continuity. The Arsenal back 4 was a back 4 that never changed, or when injury or suspensions happened it would still be 3 from 4 regulars. Yesterday we had Wootton who has never played with Byram and White. We had Pearce that has only played 3 games with Wootton and we had White and Byram making their first appearances of the season. It isn't exactly hard to see why the defence wasn't as tight as it has been all season. Given the choice I'm sure B Mc would have picked Peltier, Warnock, Pearce and Wootton.

As usual you bring us back to terra firma. :)

Thank you
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

According to the Yorkshire Post we had 22 shots on goal in the match :shock:

That suggests that we weren't abysmal, just that we couldn't finish for love nor money...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:
What do you mean "completely gone overboard" my old weasel?
Just meant it is all doom and gloom withsome people near enough ready to write the whole team off. I'm a lot more positive because of the reasons I gave and confident that we are moving in the right direction still. We won't walk the league, we won't win every game and we will suffer shock defeats - every team in this league will with the possible exception of QPR.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Genghers wrote:According to the Yorkshire Post we had 22 shots on goal in the match :shock:

That suggests that we weren't abysmal, just that we couldn't finish for love nor money...
But only 6 on target!! Only needed a striker who scores 1 in 5 to have won that game.

No need for panic. We are a better side than last year, and that's with what is predominatly still a Colin team. We're upper mid-table, and I don't see that changing till we get rid of a lot of dead wood off the wage bill, which may be the end of this season when they're out of contract. We're competitive but not clinical. Maybe a loan striker will give us a sniff of the play-offs, but this league is very tight, and everybody can beat everybody else.

Ultimately, we are moving forwrd as a club. Bates' and his regime dismantled, a decent manager who involves himself in all aspects of the club and owners who are trying to do things right. Undoing the bearded shyster's handiwork won't happen overnight, and I for one am happy to be patient as long as I see decent foundations for the football club being laid. Knee-jerk is never good
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Genghers wrote:According to the Yorkshire Post we had 22 shots on goal in the match :shock:

As in my match report......if only we had a potent No.9 :tup: