Leeds v Burnley - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds v Burnley - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by paddy parrott »

So another loss and a bit surprising i suppose at home to burnley.
Brian wants some of his players someone even to grasp the nettle and score,well ross and reg aren`t so maybe smith and mowatt deserve that opportunity and poleon too.
Isuppose aswell as things go they need this chance and now in my reckoning they haven`t done anything wrong so get `em` in and then we`ll know look at this way noel hunt ,reg and a few others are not getting any younger.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I've had to ratchet down my expectations and hopes for this season.
We had a relatively good start but our scoring deficiency has bitten us in the posterior. This game, I don't know what happened with the defence either. Not having seen the game I can't comment but it sounded bad from whar Crude and Ems said.
It'll take time, patience and cool heads to manage now. BMcD has a pedigree of that so let's hope he'll make the necessary changes and provide the right potion for confidence, because that'll probably have taken a hit with two defeats on the trot.
Actually though it's 3 out of 4 - 2 unlucky defeats sandwiched a lucky win but then this defeat, at home, sounds more ominous to me.
Sigh!
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

I didnt go Norm.
Not gone since the last cup game at home.
Cant see point with such crappy attacking options mate.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Of course Norm you are quite right brian can and should sort it soon and quickly for us all.
Time should tell and why not let the young `un,s at it to prove one way or another .There can`t be to far of the pace in coming week`s mind for a crack at top six ,then i guess another 6 or seven games should be telling.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

paddy parrott wrote:So another loss and a bit surprising i suppose at home to burnley.
Brian wants some of his players someone even to grasp the nettle and score,well ross and reg aren`t so maybe smith and mowatt deserve that opportunity and poleon too.
Isuppose aswell as things go they need this chance and now in my reckoning they haven`t done anything wrong so get `em` in and then we`ll know look at this way noel hunt ,reg and a few others are not getting any younger.

We're kind of invested in McCormack now...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

If indeed, GFH have a two year plan and Brian has to make do with the mostly mediochre players he has in the squad this season...well...he has brought back "the player wave". Now he needs to use another Don Revie innovation.
BRING THE KIDS THROUGH!!! :tup:
If GFHC are planing on a 2 year revival, Brian won't be sacked for a mid table finish, this season.
ATM - I can't see us finishing anywhere above that with the current incumbents, so indeed the gaffer has nowt to lose by bringing through the likes of Mowatt, Dawson, Lenighan, Taylor and the Turner twins and Cairns.

We STILL need a goal poacher though, if Baldy won't play Ross in that role. :duno:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:

We're kind of invested in McCormack now...
Should have taken the money & invested in a proper No.9

Ah well the fans got what they wanted :roll:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

1964white wrote:
Should have taken the money & invested in a proper No.9

Ah well the fans got what they wanted :roll:
Interestingly enough - top of the table QPR have only scored ONE goal more than us, this season...stick THAT in your "we have no strikers" pipe! :nahnah:
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Twiggster wrote:
Interestingly enough - top of the table QPR have only scored ONE goal more than us, this season...stick THAT in your "we have no strikers" pipe! :nahnah:
That would be the "we have no strikers pipe" that you yourself were puffing on just 3 posts earlier I suppose? :?
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Twiggster wrote:

Interestingly enough - top of the table QPR have only scored ONE goal more than us, this season...stick THAT in your "we have no strikers" pipe!
It isn't the "no strikers" mantra that's the whole problem, although I think it's our main one - QPR are playing like an organised side whereas we are not. From 2-2-0 to 3-2-3 could be seen as pretty dramatic or just a blip but it's worrying to me.
Remember how, after Donny, we were all full of optimism for the future?
What happened? We didn't use Mowatt or Smith (to start) again, even though they were available.
Burnley just played us off the park in the first half - we seemed to be persevering with people who aren't cutting it. We aren't that talented as a whole so options are limited, yet we're not using the assets we've got effectively. According to reports the second half went better - Smith (remember him, the 'no start' man) scored and we were more effective but why wait until we're in the smelly stuff before making changes.
I fear our lack of scoring is affecting the overall confidence. '64 is correct in what he says and you know it - McCormack was never going to be our saviour, although he did play well for a few games. As soon as his peak form waned, we're in trouble.
BMcD needs to sort it, quick, before we have another 3-7 or 4-6 and totally lose the plot. Remember, even an unlucky or narrow loss is still a loss and confidence is bound to be affected. At the moment we have a hill to climb - let's not find a mountain in our path.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Norm wrote: Remember, even an unlucky or narrow loss is still a loss and confidence is bound to be affected.
Likewise with victories. I'm sure Harry Redknapp would take 1-0 wins for the rest of the season, too. And the confidence that it brings.

Even some of the good results we have had did not seem to imbue the team with confidence. I just do not think that we have a good enough squad overall and I'm not sure how long 'work in progress' will cut it.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

We had 63% possession according to the Beeb, so it's very worrying we both managed to concede two and only score once. Need to turn possession into chances, or be more ambitious with our play.

Reckon we'll see Poleon and Smith start vs. Newcastle just to have a look...
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Genghers wrote:We had 63% possession according to the Beeb, so it's very worrying we both managed to concede two and only score once. Need to turn possession into chances, or be more ambitious with our play.

Reckon we'll see Poleon and Smith start vs. Newcastle just to have a look...
And Mowatt cos he looks the player I thought we were getting in Murphy.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Gino 1959 wrote:

Likewise with victories. I'm sure Harry Redknapp would take 1-0 wins for the rest of the season, too. And the confidence that it brings.

Even some of the good results we have had did not seem to imbue the team with confidence. I just do not think that we have a good enough squad overall and I'm not sure how long 'work in progress' will cut it.
Quite right. As recently as the aftermath of the Bolton game I had thought we may (after our QPR 'blip') be on the verge of going on some run of our own but we've gone backwards and I don't know if it's lack of confidence, bad selection or, as you surmise, we are just not good enough at this level. We're certainly not good enough for the Prem. Interestng to note that the 3 teams to beat us are 1, 2 and 7 in the table and all playing as well as should be expected from promotion hopefuls.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Early doors so to speak yet so let`s not wander down uneasy street .We should sort it soon and we can be up around play offs .
But realistically look at the state of us 12- 15 months back yes we are a work in progress and will improve .mot.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

FFS....i stay off VLR for 2 games and you lot can't get Leeds a single point :rant: :rant: ...there's only one thing for it....permanent position for me on VLR :mrgreen:

Though have to admit to the defeat being softened with a mini pub crawl with my beloved at the foot of the beautiful Mournes :wink: :wink:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
Emsley
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Emsley »

Ronan wrote:FFS....i stay off VLR for 2 games and you lot can't get Leeds a single point :rant: :rant: ...there's only one thing for it....permanent position for me on VLR :mrgreen:

Though have to admit to the defeat being softened with a mini pub crawl with my beloved at the foot of the beautiful Mournes :wink: :wink:
As long as your username is "The Ruler" I will vote for you.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote:
Sorry twiggs but sometimes your ignorance astounds me :shock:

QPR's squad is littered with players that have played in the premiership in Green, Dunne, Hill, Onuoha, Traore, Young, Assou-Ekotto, Hoilett, Wright-Philips, Barton, Jenas, Kranjaer, O'Neill, Johnson, Zamora....on top of that they have recently signed Charlie Austin & Matty Phillips. I maybe wrong but i reckon the Hoops squad includes seven players who have played for England & also have other internationals in Dunne & Kranjaar. Their team has a mix of experienced & young players with pace & nous. To say they haven't got any goalscorers is ludricous Andy Johnson & Charlie Austin have two each so far & i have no doubt they will score 15+ each come the end of the season bar injury of course. Wright-Philips, Hoilett, Kranjaar, Phillips, Jenas & Zamora are all capable of knocking in goals too !
QPR also have a rock solid defence conceding only two goals in their first eight games & conceding NONE in their last six fixtures, their team is built on a sound defence & they certainly have game-changers especially in tight games as has already been provened with their results so far !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:
I fear our lack of scoring is affecting the overall confidence. '64 is correct in what he says and you know it - McCormack was never going to be our saviour, although he did play well for a few games. As soon as his peak form waned, we're in trouble.
I have probably seen Ross McCormack play nearly a 100 games now so i believe my judgement of Ross has plenty of substance whilst supporting LUFC. He came to us as striker, couldn't hack it so he was accomodated into midfield & is now labelled as our playmaker :roll: he also came to ER with a reputation of scoring from set-pieces...how many free-kicks has he planted into the onion bag in his 130+ appearances ?? You're right Norm, McCormack has a few decent games but he is inconsistent is definitely not a game-changer & he'll never be our saviour.
A mate of mine believes he is better than Beckford :roflmao: as if Everton would have ever signed McCormack :shock:

I believe he & his agent manipulated the new contact with the knowledge had GFH/McDermott sold Ross there would have been anarchy at ER once again so they made a decision to appease the fans & our fans have got what they wanted !

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions....we could have signed a top No.9 with the McCormack money, unfortunately we have missed a trick & the opportunity has gone :(
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

selling Ross and replacing him with a better fit for our system would have been the way to go...too late now
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"